NEW BRICKPICKER MEMBER FAQs & INVESTMENT QUESTIONS

Hi,

New to lego investing but wow its so addictive.

Starting with £1000 sterling and spent 750 already.

So bought 5 Wall-e at £32 each from john lewis.

Two red 5 xwings, expensive but hopefully rise in value next year.

Two tumblers  at £130 each and one star destroyer.

Main issue is i want to build them all haha.

Cheers

Gordy

• Like 1

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Here goes my stupid question:

I am planning to start investing through lego. I have a problem to determine which sets should i buy because they'll increse value after they are out of the market. How can i know or what characteristics should i look for when deciding what lego set i should buy?

5 hours ago, Faby_acg said:

I am planning to start investing through lego. I have a problem to determine which sets should i buy because they'll increse value after they are out of the market. How can i know or what characteristics should i look for when deciding what lego set i should buy?

Hello. Best things to do to get started are read, read, and read some more. Lots of information (as well as a lot of blather), but a decent way to start your education.

once you read, determine your strategy. Quick flip? Stuff away for long term? 

Best advice for starters is be patient and reasonable with your expectations, collect sets that you would enjoy yourself, and please please please don't invest more than you can afford to invest. Your money will likely be tied up for awhile.

Ideal scenario is: you are able to buy as many as you prefer, close to retirement, and at a discount, as well as picking an not overly hoarded set.

Most investors only hit half of those I would bet.

Welcome, like stated, start reading, and come up with a plan

21 hours ago, Yinchuan said:

Hello. Best things to do to get started are read, read, and read some more. Lots of information (as well as a lot of blather), but a decent way to start your education.

once you read, determine your strategy. Quick flip? Stuff away for long term? 

Best advice for starters is be patient and reasonable with your expectations, collect sets that you would enjoy yourself, and please please please don't invest more than you can afford to invest. Your money will likely be tied up for awhile.

Wow! Thanks a million for that reply. Couldn't imagine a better answer to my question. I will start reading a lot. Creating a plan will be challenging for me since im not the planner type of person, more like spontaneous but i will try

Hello from the Isle of Man,

I've just started collecting a few sets and have noticed that one of the ones I have purchased is valued by Brickpicker at £68.00, an increase of 21% since I bought it. The same set is available for £45.99 which is less than I paid.

Confused!!

Regards

Breekey

10 minutes ago, Breekey said:

Hello from the Isle of Man,

I've just started collecting a few sets and have noticed that one of the ones I have purchased is valued by Brickpicker at £68.00, an increase of 21% since I bought it. The same set is available for £45.99 which is less than I paid.

Confused!!

Regards

Breekey

Search the set on ebay and use the filter to see all sold listings.......there you find the answer you seek.

16 hours ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Search the set on ebay and use the filter to see all sold listings.......there you find the answer you seek.

Ah right - wide variation in prices so I assume that Brickpicker is quoting the average. Might buy another set !!!

Many thanks Stephen

On 05/01/2016 at 1:37 PM, Breekey said:

The value Brickpicker shows is the eBay USA value (and then converted to your own currency, which is why I see € values). But prices in Europe can be quite different from prices in the USA. Europe and the USA are two more or less completely separated markets. So don't stare too blindly at what Brickpickers in the USA / Canada get for certain sets and expect to get the same value here in Europe for those sets. There's already an observable difference between the UK and The Netherlands, where sets reach > €100 in the UK while staying well below €100 in The Netherlands. (Talking about post-retirement reseller value here).

Edited by Haay

14 minutes ago, Haay said:

The value Brickpicker shows is the eBay USA value (and then converted to your own currency, which is why I see € values). But prices in Europe can be quite different from prices in the USA. Europe and the USA are two more or less completely separated markets. So don't stare too blindly at what Brickpickers in the USA / Canada get for certain sets and expect to get the same value here in Europe for those sets. There's already an observable difference between the UK and The Netherlands, where sets reach > €100 in the UK while staying well below €100 in The Netherlands. (Talking about post-retirement reseller value here).

We collect exact values from the following markets

USA, UK, DEU, AUS

If you are looking at EU values, you are looking at the sold data from Germany which is the largest of the EU marketplaces.

You can pick the closest value to you to look at.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Mack said:

We collect exact values from the following markets

USA, UK, DEU, AUS

If you are looking at EU values, you are looking at the sold data from Germany which is the largest of the EU marketplaces.

You can pick the closest value to you to look at.

Thank you for the explanation! :) 

i just started collecting after this year Christmas.  I don't know much so excuse my questions.  What determines if a set is an ultimate collector set? because of it's title? Where can I find a list of them and how about retired items are there a complete list as well? Thanks for the education.

41 minutes ago, magicnite said:

i just started collecting after this year Christmas.  I don't know much so excuse my questions.  What determines if a set is an ultimate collector set? because of it's title? Where can I find a list of them and how about retired items are there a complete list as well? Thanks for the education.

Most if not all your questions are answered here http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Ultimate_Collector's_Series

:victory: