NEW BRICKPICKER MEMBER FAQs & INVESTMENT QUESTIONS

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just registered today. Joined mostly for lego investment purposes. I want to know if anyone had any experience buying lego from a reseller in my country?

Edited by Arkibal

10 hours ago, legolopez said:

Hello,

Im new to this site and pretty excited to upload my collection to the Brickfolio. I was wondering if its possible to change the funds from USD to CAD. If its only in USD what do I do if I purchased in CAD.

Hector

You can indeed change the currency to be displayed in CAD, but the site will always do a conversion from USD values, so your CAD value fluctuates with the currency exchange. I'm not sure what other Canadians are doing on here, but I have my Brickfolio set up in USD... when I import a new set I do the currency conversion for the date of purchase, enter that USD value, and then in my Notes section for that item, at the bottom, I'll put in what I actually paid in CAD after taxes. This allows you to use your brickfolio to evaluate price changes on your inventory, but still have accurate notes on what you paid regardless of where the CAD to USD balance is on any given day. 

On February 15, 2016 at 3:55 PM, TTracy2 said:

With Brikpickers ability to track my personal sets that I place in my Brickfolio, can it give me a detailed list of what pieces I have? Not just a piece count...?

Not that I'm aware of. As Airborne suggested, an export and import to another interface like brickset could be your ticket. However I've come across errors in their set inventories... I much prefer to rely on bricklink's inventory lists. I'm not sure you can get a master list easily, but you can easily check parts on a set by set basis. If you know you have set #### in 100% complete form, you can just search that set number on bricklink.com and then when you find it you can click the Inventory tab, and it'll show you all bricks in that set (which you know you have). Not sure if this is useful for your intent but it's a handy tool to know about! 

• Like 1

Hi guys, first time poster talking on this wonderful forum!

A stupid question I'll ask here is in regards to selling bulk Lego. Is it worthwhile to separate Lego bricks into size categories or types per bag, as opposed to just mixing up the whole lot? Does it make a big difference when selling? I don't have many (if any) complete sets anymore, everything would be sold in a bag, apart from select figurines.....Thanks!

Edited by Richard_07

Hello everyone. I am new to lego collecting, and love the brickfolio and price guide.  However, I am wondering about something. Starting in January I began entering in lego sets that were part of my collection. And I have been entering them in regularly ever since. On my brickfolio main collection summery it says my sets have all been entered in the month of December.  Is there some way that I am supposed to refresh my own brickfolio so it will display the data in January and February? 

On February 18, 2016 at 5:50 AM, Zelgazra said:

Not that I'm aware of. As Airborne suggested, an export and import to another interface like brickset could be your ticket. However I've come across errors in their set inventories... I much prefer to rely on bricklink's inventory lists. I'm not sure you can get a master list easily, but you can easily check parts on a set by set basis. If you know you have set #### in 100% complete form, you can just search that set number on bricklink.com and then when you find it you can click the Inventory tab, and it'll show you all bricks in that set (which you know you have). Not sure if this is useful for your intent but it's a handy tool to know about! 

this was absolutely helpful, they offer a printable page and i can just create a spreadsheet on my own with ease for a master list of ALL my sets. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - I have a newbie question for people who have already sold sets.

How do you ship them? I see listings which proudly exclaim how pristine the boxes are, so I imagine you protect the boxes during shipment.  Do you get a big box and fill it with bubbles?

Also, where do people find buyers, other than eBay?  Do you set up an Amazon storefront?

1 hour ago, Legocrafter02 said:

Stupid question time! :)

I'm new to this forum, so I just wanted to know: is there a forum thread concerning good/bad investments? Or do I need to ask that question here? I'm considering investing in some sets, but I need some experts' opinions.

Thanks!

Generally I'd say do a search on the sets you're interested in and its likely they'll already be a topic set up.  Then its about taking a read as there's loads of great info on here.

Or there's this thread which I've found very helpful in the past:

If your question is a little more general on "whats a good and bad investment?" then unfortunately there's no easy answer to that one :).
But if you can narrow it down then people are more then willing to help.

Stupid question time!

I'm new to this forum, so I just wanted to know: is there a forum thread concerning good/bad investments? Or do I need to ask that question here? I'm considering investing in some sets, but I need some experts' opinions.

Thanks!

There is a "What LEGO to buy or sell" thread - but this requires a particular set or theme to be mentioned, otherwise you won't get much help.

If you just want generic tips - please read through the many many threads on this forum concerning the various themes and sets and definitely go out to some stores and look at what interests you as a buyer - typically a good indication of what you should invest in. Don't go and ask generic questions as you'll likely get little valuable response.

I am not sure where to ask this.  Why do i get duplicate emails from certain threads? I am not sure if its my fault or not.  please help. 

If you subscribed to the Speculative Bubble thread you will also get notifications for the Death Star, Tumbler, and 10179 ruined Lego investing threads.

"It's a feature"

All kidding aside, I'm not sure. I turned off email notifications and use the mobile app.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I'm male, 37 yr/o, and live in Brazil. I'm a business reporter by trade turned consultant by destiny. I've started collecting LEGO again some ten years ago when writing a story about TLG's comeback in Brazil. Ever since then I've been interested in the market/finance side of LEGO, particularly that of its secondary market. It wasn't before a couple of years ago, though, that I started considering investing in LEGO myself. The problem is my interest in investments like this came in a time the country's economy is going south in a quick and steady pace. Currency exchange rates are against my interests, as is the still limited market for such an expensive toy and the lack of interest of regular people in older t said, I still want to try my hand in that. I'm starting small, with small, quickly flipable sets and a select number of larger, discontinued sets to get me well stocked when prices pick up at EOL.

I'm still exploring the website and its appendices such as brickclassifieds. Soon, I'll try my hand in that, although shipping costs might difficult matters a bit.

What I couldn't find though is a barter/trade area. I have a few larger sets that I'd be willing go trade for other ones I still lack in my collection. Can anyone point me on the right direction to find features like that?

Thanks and happy business to all!

JS

Guest brickcrazyhouse
6 hours ago, jsosse said:

Hey guys! I'm male, 37 yr/o, and live in Brazil. I'm a business reporter by trade turned consultant by destiny. I've started collecting LEGO again some ten years ago when writing a story about TLG's comeback in Brazil. Ever since then I've been interested in the market/finance side of LEGO, particularly that of its secondary market. It wasn't before a couple of years ago, though, that I started considering investing in LEGO myself. The problem is my interest in investments like this came in a time the country's economy is going south in a quick and steady pace. Currency exchange rates are against my interests, as is the still limited market for such an expensive toy and the lack of interest of regular people in older t said, I still want to try my hand in that. I'm starting small, with small, quickly flipable sets and a select number of larger, discontinued sets to get me well stocked when prices pick up at EOL.

I'm still exploring the website and its appendices such as brickclassifieds. Soon, I'll try my hand in that, although shipping costs might difficult matters a bit.

What I couldn't find though is a barter/trade area. I have a few larger sets that I'd be willing go trade for other ones I still lack in my collection. Can anyone point me on the right direction to find features like that?

Thanks and happy business to all!

JS

welcome to our madness.  you can try the "want" part of Brick classified.  at the bottom of https://www.brickclassifieds.com

Hi All! I'm new to the lego arena. I'm starting to invest and collect of course. Two noob questions I hope you can answer:

1) What does EOL mean

2) Does the value drop significantly if the factory seal is opened but the bags are still sealed? 

Thank you!