NEW BRICKPICKER MEMBER FAQs & INVESTMENT QUESTIONS

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

i've a newbie question and i hope this is the right thread.

I've seen some interesting discounts on lego shop and i was wondering if it could be a good idea to buy some of these sets to make a small investment.

Maybe this is a silly question...

Thanks for any reply,

Alessandro

Hi all,
i've a newbie question and i hope this is the right thread.
I've seen some interesting discounts on lego shop and i was wondering if it could be a good idea to buy some of these sets to make a small investment.
Maybe this is a silly question...
Thanks for any reply,
Alessandro

It depends on how much you like to gamble. The less you research you do, the more of a gamble your purchase will be. Some people trust their gut, some people trust stats. Either way, just remember: it's a gamble.
To illustrate, when I play poker, I don't show my hand to a stranger next to me and ask if I should call. Who knows what he'll say.

Catch my drift?
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, donbee said:

It depends on how much you like to gamble. The less you research you do, the more of a gamble your purchase will be. Some people trust their gut, some people trust stats. Either way, just remember: it's a gamble.
To illustrate, when I play poker, I don't show my hand to a stranger next to me and ask if I should call. Who knows what he'll say.

Catch my drift?

Hi donbee, thanks for reply.

Your example it's perfect and i accept it.

I know we're playing the same game (i'm actually trying to learn the rules :P ) so any advice could be wrong.

Another example could be: I've found a misb imperial star destroyer on ebay for 50 €, is good? The answer i think is yes, but anyone that is more experienced than me will run to buy it.

My question was more general and i was looking to some hint on what are the general things to look and if buying directly from lego is generally a good idea or not.

I've readed some posts (a little old, but i think yet actual) about buying lego at mrsp, so when i saw discounts on lego i asked my silly question :P

Thank you again and sorry if i made mistakes,

Alessandro

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Buying from LEGO is typically the most expensive way to buy a set unless thay have good discounts and/or a good promo giveaway. Now is a good time with some backordered (but still available) sets at 50% off and the Batman promo if you spend a certain amount (eg. £50 in UK). You can also be fairly sure of a box in good condition from LEGO.

Even though a lot of us here are trying to be helpful, it is important to realise that we are also competitors and some of us will never disclose the best deals or investment strategy. The only way forward is to simply do your own research and trust your gut instinct when you see something that you think is special. If you see "bargains" as 50% off, check eBay sold listings first to see if you can recover your investment quickly as some sets (eg. Friends) can still lose you money after fees, etc.

Tip... I typically avoid sets that are discussed a lot on here as it tells me that they are hoarded and this wil drive resale prices down when they retire. You need to think "outside the box" ;-) As an example... when a lot were talking about Ecto1 and Doctor Who sets, I was running around clearing shelves of WALL-E, White House, Trevi Fountain & Lincoln Memorial where I'll soon be able to double my invesment on those, but I didn't mention it until they were more or less gone. Oh...  I also paid under half price for my Ecto1 and Doctor Who sets.

Don't reply on just eBay/Amazon to sell your sets as selling restrictions can be imposed at any time, Amazon have already done this and eBay may soon follow. If you're not "authorised" to sell, you can't and you'll be stuck with your sets. It's CRITICALLY IMPORTANT that you have another route to market and they are out there, you just need to find them. I've done it, but can't disclose as it took me a lot of work to find the right contacts. DON"T buy a lot of sets until you're confident of being able to sell them at a good profit.

At the end of the day it is a gamble and only spend what you can afford to lose. And... prepare to earn a very low "wage" at first.

Hi donbee, thanks for reply.
Your example it's perfect and i accept it.
I know we're playing the same game (i'm actually trying to learn the rules ) so any advice could be wrong.
Another example could be: I've found a misb imperial star destroyer on ebay for 50 €, is good? The answer i think is yes, but anyone that is more experienced than me will run to buy it.
My question was more general and i was looking to some hint on what are the general things to look and if buying directly from lego is generally a good idea or not.
I've readed some posts (a little old, but i think yet actual) about buying lego at mrsp, so when i saw discounts on lego i asked my silly question

Thank you again and sorry if i made mistakes,
Alessandro

That's a better question. Your first was too broad and vague. Like going to the doctor and asking what medicine to take because you hurt. Where does it hurt? Why does it hurt? Even if I wanted to help, I couldn't be sure I wasn't causing more harm.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Buying from LEGO is typically the most expensive way to buy a set unless thay have good discounts and/or a good promo giveaway. Now is a good time with some backordered (but still available) sets at 50% off and the Batman promo if you spend a certain amount (eg. £50 in UK). You can also be fairly sure of a box in good condition from LEGO.

Even though a lot of us here are trying to be helpful, it is important to realise that we are also competitors and some of us will never disclose the best deals or investment strategy. The only way forward is to simply do your own research and trust your gut instinct when you see something that you think is special. If you see "bargains" as 50% off, check eBay sold listings first to see if you can recover your investment quickly as some sets (eg. Friends) can still lose you money after fees, etc.

Tip... I typically avoid sets that are discussed a lot on here as it tells me that they are hoarded and this wil drive resale prices down when they retire. You need to think "outside the box" ;-) As an example... when a lot were talking about Ecto1 and Doctor Who sets, I was running around clearing shelves of WALL-E, White House, Trevi Fountain & Lincoln Memorial where I'll soon be able to double my invesment on those, but I didn't mention it until they were more or less gone. Oh...  I also paid under half price for my Ecto1 and Doctor Who sets.

Don't reply on just eBay/Amazon to sell your sets as selling restrictions can be imposed at any time, Amazon have already done this and eBay may soon follow. If you're not "authorised" to sell, you can't and you'll be stuck with your sets. It's CRITICALLY IMPORTANT that you have another route to market and they are out there, you just need to find them. I've done it, but can't disclose as it took me a lot of work to find the right contacts. DON"T buy a lot of sets until you're confident of being able to sell them at a good profit.

At the end of the day it is a gamble and only spend what you can afford to lose. And... prepare to earn a very low "wage" at first.

Thank you TabbyBoy for your post.

My target is not to become a pro, but just to make some smart buy. I don't want to invest huge amount of money, but i like the game and if it will make me made some extra money it will be good.

As i said, i know it and i didn't want any secret but just if it's generally a good idea to follow lego discounts.

You need to think "outside the box" ;-)

Good idea!

Amazon is offline for me because of 39euros/month to become a seller and i didn't know that also ebay was going that way. I'll study something else.

Actually i'm like a boy in a huge lego shop :P  and i'm taking a look. I'm not that confident about that activity because at a first look it seems very crowded. Maybe some years ago it could be easier. But it combines two of my favourite things: lego and collections :)

So we'll see what will be.

By now, again, i thank you for your post! :D

2 hours ago, donbee said:

That's a better question. Your first was too broad and vague. Like going to the doctor and asking what medicine to take because you hurt. Where does it hurt? Why does it hurt? Even if I wanted to help, I couldn't be sure I wasn't causing more harm.

I'had to start somewhere... :)

And thanks to the doctor who asked me where does it hurt i could explain my symptoms :)

thank you again,

Alessandro

I'had to start somewhere...

And thanks to the doctor who asked me where does it hurt i could explain my symptoms

thank you again,

Alessandro

Stick around. I was in the same place as you just 1 year ago. Now I have $1000's of dollars worth of Lego. I never thought I'd be here, and still not sure 100% if I want to stay. But I learned so much from this forum.

knowledge earned is knowledge gained. We learn best from our own mistakes, but we can certainly learn from others. It can be tough to get people to reveal the secrets to their success, but most everyone is willing to share their regrets and mistakes.

Find out what people regret the most, and you'll be in a much better position than most new investors. Maybe even more than some veterans.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, donbee said:

Stick around. I was in the same place as you just 1 year ago. Now I have $1000's of dollars worth of Lego. I never thought I'd be here, and still not sure 100% if I want to stay. But I learned so much from this forum.

knowledge earned is knowledge gained. We learn best from our own mistakes, but we can certainly learn from others. It can be tough to get people to reveal the secrets to their success, but most everyone is willing to share their regrets and mistakes.

Find out what people regret the most, and you'll be in a much better position than most new investors. Maybe even more than some veterans.

Thank you, you're right!

:D

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey all! Another investing question. I would like to stash away a couple of sets here and there to have them (hopefully) appreciate over time. My "problem" is that I'm not really into Star Wars (love the movies/universe but don't need it in Lego) or DC Comics stuff. The stuff I like are City and it's subthemes (Deep Sea etc.). Is there even a point in investing in those, or do people not care for older sets because there is always a current generic version?

Hey all! Another investing question. I would like to stash away a couple of sets here and there to have them (hopefully) appreciate over time. My "problem" is that I'm not really into Star Wars (love the movies/universe but don't need it in Lego) or DC Comics stuff. The stuff I like are City and it's subthemes (Deep Sea etc.). Is there even a point in investing in those, or do people not care for older sets because there is always a current generic version?

In my short experience, majority of these do not appreciate to the high numbers worth in vesting for. If you can get one at 50% or below, then selling at RRP is reasonable. And some sets climb to RRP and above very quickly. But as you mentioned, there are only so many fire trucks and police stations you can need. So don't expect 3x returns.

Except for helicopters. Can't have enough of those.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone, just wanted to say thanks for welcoming me into this community of Lego lovers, as is probably the same with many of you, I have been building with bricks since I was a kid.

My community doesn't have a Lego store around and I am wanting to make one here that provides affordable Lego sets.  I contacted Lego and they have a pretty intense application process from what I can see as far as getting approval to sell Legos. Does anyone have any insight on how to get approval from Lego to sell Lego like this? Or if this is already discussed somewhere on the forums can you point me in the right direction? Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm Emanuel  and i'm new here but I have a question about a set that I want to buy, is the limited version of the LEGO education set of the Panama Canal (2000451) and would like to have some review or opinion about it? How much value does it have? and if it worth it?

• 3 months later...

I registered some of my sets to see the value in- or decreasing. But since then (August) the data has not been updated.

In the FAQ it says 'How often is the data for the guide updated?
Generally, the data is updated once a month, usually by the end of the first week of the new month.'

Is this a bug only for me?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have $10,000+ worth of unopen Lego.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to unload it all at once?  I have sold on eBay before but not sure if I want to deal with all the listing and shipping of individual sets or themes.  Are there any companies that will buy large lots?

I have $10,000+ worth of unopen Lego.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to unload it all at once?  I have sold on eBay before but not sure if I want to deal with all the listing and shipping of individual sets or themes.  Are there any companies that will buy large lots?

Put together a list with your quantities and desired prices, and zip code for shipping/pickup purposes and start a thread. Plenty of helpers right here on BP :)