NEW BRICKPICKER MEMBER FAQs & INVESTMENT QUESTIONS

Can you see the full history of things like - where a CAGR was at 6 months ago for a set, etc.?

CAGR does not move all that much on a month to month unless a set retires and go through the roof.  It is a Compounded "annual" growth rate, so it is meant to see more year, by year.  So if anything, I can look to add CAGR for each year that the set existed which is very close to what you were asking.  The problem is, if I don't have the data for a set from 6 years ago, I really can't do it.  So it would only be for sets where its been new for about 3 years.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me say it another way. It would be nice to be able to expand the Compare Lego Sets section and add the option of making it automatic for all sets, so that one can see which sets have the best CAGR over their entire lifetime (or whatever is available) and which have the worst. This may be superfluous, but at this point in my thinking it seems like it would help me get a better idea of the big picture, it would help me see trends more clearly.  

I CANNOT believe ebay wants hundreds of thousands of dollars for some 3 year old data on Lego toys. I can't believe what they charged you guys for your foreign data. It's ridiculous! As if their selling fees weren't bad enough. And all so some CEO somewhere can buy another Ferrari. We. Are. Doomed.

Well it isn't eBay that wants the hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's the company that gets the info from eBay, which is TeraPeak, that is charging the big numbers. :/

Also imagine how long it would take to upload 11 years of data into the BrickPicker database. If it takes ~12-15 days for just monthly US data, 4x the marketplaces, etc. to get to a grand total of 6336 to 7920 days (~17.35 to ~21.70 years) assuming WiFi doesn't get any better and it takes the same amount of time to upload all that info, which is doubtful in 17 years...

By that time I'd probably rage quit...  :fpc:   :dontknow:

Can you see the full history of things like - where a CAGR was at 6 months ago for a set, etc.?

Not directly.  But you can work it out yourself.  Take the current market price and apply the percentage change over 6 months to it to work back and find the market price 6 months ago (or hover over the point on the set's graph to find it).  Then use that number to calculate the CAGR.

Is there a way to get email updates when there is a great deal out there at say Target, Amazon, and LEGO Shop at Home? It is great that people on this site share it when they see a great deal and I love looking around on the site, but I would like to know about the deals without coming to the site to check all the time. Is that even possible?

Is there a way to get email updates when there is a great deal out there at say Target, Amazon, and LEGO Shop at Home? It is great that people on this site share it when they see a great deal and I love looking around on the site, but I would like to know about the deals without coming to the site to check all the time. Is that even possible?

You can follow those specific forums - that is how I do it. Whenever someone posts a new topic, you get an email with the topic name.

If it is "Great deal on Amazon" you just click the link and you are there.

What DNIM is true.  One of the great features of this site is that the community is always growing with more eyes on the market and share their finds.  I am quite sure Jeff can come up with somethign to send alerts, but then think about this.  You may get alerts all day long on sales you don't care for.  I am sure there can be filters etc.  But then here are the negatives.  I am sure the owners of the site don't want people visiting their site.  Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you want everything just handed to you.  You are not doing your homework.   Then you may complain that you are getting too many alerts.  I am not sure if there can be a happy medium that works for everyone.

Its funny, I was working on this back in early 2011.  It was one of the original features of the site.  We even had a name "BrickWatcher" for it and a logo that I was working on.

Maybe its something we can revisit, give people an option to get emails, texts, etc.  Pick sets, give price ranges on when you want to be alerted and by what retailer.  I just know that people don't want to be bothered that much.  Other than forum emails, maybe we send out 2 or 3 a year.

• Like 1

You can follow those specific forums - that is how I do it. Whenever someone posts a new topic, you get an email with the topic name.

If it is "Great deal on Amazon" you just click the link and you are there.

That is a great idea, but it may be a little more than I am looking for right now. In the current system, it sure would do what I asked. How do I sign up? Thanks.

What DNIM is true.  One of the great features of this site is that the community is always growing with more eyes on the market and share their finds.  I am quite sure Jeff can come up with somethign to send alerts, but then think about this.  You may get alerts all day long on sales you don't care for.  I am sure there can be filters etc.  But then here are the negatives.  I am sure the owners of the site don't want people visiting their site.  Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you want everything just handed to you.  You are not doing your homework.   Then you may complain that you are getting too many alerts.  I am not sure if there can be a happy medium that works for everyone.

All I can say is that the best sites make it very easy to use them, like having everything handed to you on a silver platter (as is suggested below). So far as I see it this site is about a lot more than finding good deals.

Its funny, I was working on this back in early 2011.  It was one of the original features of the site.  We even had a name "BrickWatcher" for it and a logo that I was working on.

post-1-0-14784600-1377181435.jpg

Maybe its something we can revisit, give people an option to get emails, texts, etc.  Pick sets, give price ranges on when you want to be alerted and by what retailer.  I just know that people don't want to be bothered that much.  Other than forum emails, maybe we send out 2 or 3 a year.

I for one would be very interested, esp. if people can make the search specific like on Ebay. Even if that is too difficult, still hearing about major sales within countries from the major providers would be awesome. My guess would be that most people that frequent this site love getting good deals on great sets and hate it when they miss a May the 4th be with you, or buy one get on free at ToysUS. If people don't like it they would not have to sign up for it and if they didn't like it after they signed up they could always unsubscribe.

• 4 weeks later...

I've made my brickfolio public, with the intention of allowing a couple of friends to view it as well as for me to view theirs.  However, I can't see any method of searching for other users' profiles?

In the upper right corner of every forum page, there's a search bar. Right now, it should say "This Topic" right next to the bar. Click on it, then choose "Members" then type in their username.

post-5354-0-38385500-1379185019.png

Once you type in their username OR a keyword, then you are led to a list. By clicking on their name, you can view their profile.

post-5354-0-01138100-1379185093_thumb.pn

The second way to view someone's profile is by clicking on their username within a forum page, or other link, such as in an article. You can also preview their profile by hovering your mouse over their username.

post-5354-0-38033000-1379185217_thumb.pn

• Like 1

In the upper right corner of every forum page, there's a search bar. Right now, it should say "This Topic" right next to the bar. Click on it, then choose "Members" then type in their username.

Once you type in their username OR a keyword, then you are led to a list. By clicking on their name, you can view their profile.

The second way to view someone's profile is by clicking on their username within a forum page, or other link, such as in an article. You can also preview their profile by hovering your mouse over their username.

Such a quick response with pictures included! Amazingly done, comicblast. :good:

Hi guys, I got some Star Wars sets I'm looking to offer brickpicker members. Just wondering if there is a section I can post under? I'm in Australia so I was wondering if I could post it under local deals there. Thanks

Do you mean to sell to a member? I don't think you can do it directly on BrickPicker, since it's one of the conditions of BP's contract with eBay, but once Brick Classifed are up, which will be in the near future, there will be an easier way to do something like this.

Guest eightbrick

Hi guys, I got some Star Wars sets I'm looking to offer brickpicker members. Just wondering if there is a section I can post under? I'm in Australia so I was wondering if I could post it under local deals there. Thanks

You could open a thread in the forums, but I think the mods would prefer that you wait until the Brick Classifieds opens. If you haven't heard of the Classifieds yet, it is another project Jeff is working on that will work in conjunction with this forum allowing people to sell sets for nearly zero fees (the most popular idea is 1 brickpoint per dollar listed - at that ratio you would be able to sell 500 dollars worth of stuff right off the bat for free).

• 1 month later...

While there is no godo answer the one above is pretty decent.

buying sets that were released 24 months +  on 25%+ discount is the way to go.... especially if they are quite popular overall...

Where can you find the release date and how popular the sets are?

Where can you find the release date and how popular the sets are?

If you look in the menu off the home page there is a link for top selling sets. That will tell you what sets sold the most that month in eBay. It will also dhow you where it ranked in prior months. Hopefully that will help you some.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello. I'm relatively new to the site and my family and I are really into searching out great deals on Legos. My brother are fairly knowlegable about the sets and the history of Lego, but we're new to the wheeling and dealing aspect of the market. What would you suggest to a beginner in the Lego investing field? How can we start to build our inventory and make a bit of profit along the way?

Thanks,

Michael