NEW BRICKPICKER MEMBER FAQs & INVESTMENT QUESTIONS

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7947-1 is this your set

if you're unfamiliar with BP all you have to do is click the link then the top center pic to see the set image larger

Wow!! Thank you!! I have the minifigures also. Members are so helpful on this site.

One more question - I see the term S&**** quite often - what does this mean?

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stupid question inquiry time.....So I thought generally speaking there is a formula to how a lego set is priced to retail. As in piece count generally represents its msrp to a degree. a 200-30 piece is around 20.00 usd. etc etc. The standard holds true across the board EXCEPT for one big exception.

Tower bride vs death star. Tower bridge is 4,287 pieces and has a msrp of 239.00. The death star has a piece count of 3,803. Why is 160.00 more when it is less pieces. a few minifigures are not worth 160.00

just curious on this. maybe im just being weird. the simpsons house is coming out soon with a lot of minifigures and that only has price tag of 199.99

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Wow!! Thank you!! I have the minifigures also. Members are so helpful on this site.

One more question - I see the term S&**** quite often - what does this mean?

shipping and handling   there a lot of anagrams that stomp me all the time

stupid question inquiry time.....So I thought generally speaking there is a formula to how a lego set is priced to retail. As in piece count generally represents its msrp to a degree. a 200-30 piece is around 20.00 usd. etc etc. The standard holds true across the board EXCEPT for one big exception.

Tower bride vs death star. Tower bridge is 4,287 pieces and has a msrp of 239.00. The death star has a piece count of 3,803. Why is 160.00 more when it is less pieces. a few minifigures are not worth 160.00

just curious on this. maybe im just being weird. the simpsons house is coming out soon with a lot of minifigures and that only has price tag of 199.99

Basic LEGO pricing rule...Amount of ABS plastic that is required to make a set.  Weigh the set contents...more plastic, more money. Also, don't underestimate the value of minifigures.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

size of bricks effect the price.  the tower bridge has a lot of little pieces.  the smaller the piece the more the can produce at a time.  and the death star has licensing cost to factor in. this is the general thought if I'm right

I think the biggest reason for this is the minifigures for the Death Star. The set of minifigures actually does sell for around 150-160 on eBay. Another big difference is the Tower Bridge has a ton of small pieces - over 500 of just the small tan slanted 1x1. 

Is the best advice - always purchase a set at discount?

What is the best way to purchase minifigures?

its a good rule of thumb but there are always exceptions. bricklink.com and ebay are good places to buy mini figures. Thanks for fast reply's to my question. all make perfect sense.

Not always..don't get in absolutes....if you are investing you need to understand the market and its demand.. The dolphin cruiser was selling like hot pancakes over Christmas and you made a nice profit even is you bought at MRSP..

But obviously the cheaper you can buy a set the better but again that is not always feasible neither is overlooking a set, based on price alone, prudent .

Guest brickcrazyhouse

What is the best way to purchase minifigures?

I only buy the sets that I'm interested in, for the most part.  If they turn out to be a dud (in terms of resale value)  at least I can open them up and enjoy

Does anyone do brick investing for a full-time job?

Also, can you really make good income every year or do you have to wait 2 to 3 years before you resell for a profit?

Which type of minifigures are the best?

Not to sound rude or anything but I would suggest you read the forums and blogs, that will help you a lot.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Does anyone do brick investing for a full-time job?

Also, can you really make good income every year or do you have to wait 2 to 3 years before you resell for a profit?

Which type of minifigures are the best?

this is still a hobby for me but some members a full time investor/flipper/reseller (whatever you want to call it).  In short there is no easy money.  most of it is a grind. it take time, research, energy and effort. If you think of this as a job and factor in how much time you need to make it work, it might work out to to be less them minimum wage don't quit your day job. every once and a while relative easy money can be made (read 41999 thread)  but for the most part waiting and letting sets appreciate is the best bet.

this is still a hobby for me but some members a full time investor/flipper/reseller (whatever you want to call it).  In short there is no easy money.  most of it is a grind. it take time, research, energy and effort. If you think of this as a job and factor in how much time you need to make it work, it might work out to to be less them minimum wage don't quit your day job. every once and a while relative easy money can be made (read 41999 thread)  but for the most part waiting and letting sets appreciate is the best bet.

Is Christmas time really the only good time to resell Legos?

Guest brickcrazyhouse

this was my first season so i'm not 100% sure.  what I noticed is demand is higher (more buyers looking) but so is the competition (values drop)

Hi,

When I added 70107 to my inventory it showed a profit but when you check the data it doesn't match up. In my brick folio it is listed at $19+ CAN and the charts show a market value of $13+ US. With exchange it should only list at around or close to $15 CAN. Which is the correct value?