Brick Owl or Bricklink for selling?

I am thinking about selling a few extra sets, lots, pieces, as I go throughout the year. I wanted your input as to where to devote my time building a store? I really like the Brick Owl user interface and communication from the owner. Responds within minutes on nearly every question or topic.

But, I've used bricklink for purchases and it is the "go to" for so many. I know they are "suppose" to be updating their site in the near future. I've seen where people run the same inventory on both stores, I guess that is an option.

Where would you put your efforts? 

This will be something I tinker with over time.

Thanks!

I am thinking about selling a few extra sets, lots, pieces, as I go throughout the year. I wanted your input as to where to devote my time building a store? I really like the Brick Owl user interface and communication from the owner. Responds within minutes on nearly every question or topic.

But, I've used bricklink for purchases and it is the "go to" for so many. I know they are "suppose" to be updating their site in the near future. I've seen where people run the same inventory on both stores, I guess that is an option.

Where would you put your efforts? 

This will be something I tinker with over time.

Thanks!

Well the choice is yours.  Brickowl will take a while for it to really kick in. They have done a good job and I am sure it will get better in time.  It all depends on how badly you want/need to get rid of your sets.  Chances are you sets will sit for a long time on both unless you price them cheap.  eBay, regardless of fees is still the way to move sets due to how many eyes they have on it.  We will have our own setup here in the near future which will have a different focus than all of these sites.  It's really all up to you and what you think is best for your business.  

• Like 1

Guest eightbrick

Interesting no one has mentioned BrickClassifieds... I mean, this is Brickpicker, shouldn't we all be shamelessly promoting the upcoming feature?

Anyway, I think the others summed it up pretty good for you. Basically:

Brickowl: Looks like a nice site, pretty clean and straightforward, but it hasn't really faced the test of time yet. Should it come down to your gut feelings, this might be your best choice as you said you have special preference to it.

Bricklink: Yes it is the go to for many people, but moreso for parts rather than sets. Unless you have really good prices or develop a good reputation really fast, your sets can sit on BL's "e-shelves" for years gathering "e-dust". As you said, the benefit of Bricklink is that it has been long established, but if you have a serious collection to unload, I would consider waiting until both the Brick Classifieds comes out and Bricklink is out so you can consider both options. Also keep in mind Bricklink has pretty bad fees.

eBay: Fast and established service, and recieves tonnes of viewers. However, the site has pretty bad fees.

Interesting no one has mentioned BrickClassifieds... I mean, this is Brickpicker, shouldn't we all be shamelessly promoting the upcoming feature?

People can promote it when they see it.  When its live and people can test drive it.  Then promote all you want :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So, I discovered I was totally ignorant of alternatives to bricklink this morning.  In the past when I'd heard about brickowl I thought it was some kind of third-party interface to bricklink -- not a completely different market place.

For those that have used it, I've a few questions:

1. Do they have their own unique part numbers for everything (in addition to the LEGO part numbers) or are they reusing the part numbers from bricklink?  I see something named BOID, I'm guessing that is BrickOwl ID?  Is there anyone maintaining a translation table between that and bricklink ID's?

2. How well does it's wishlist do with finding the minimal number of shops to buy things from?

3. Any feedback from sellers that have used it -- was setting up and managing shops simple?  Was it easy to add a quantity of a set to your inventory and later, select some of that quantity to be parted out (populating your store with all the individual parts that were in those sets?)

Any other thoughts on BrickOwl?

Also, since I was ignorant about BrickOwls existance until this morning -- are there any other dedicated parts sites out in the wild right now?

• 3 months later...

Yes, but there is no cap.  BrickLink has a tiered structure, that reduces as the order value goes up.  So its pretty much a wash.

Order Batch Total   Fee 

$0 USD - $500 USD   3% of the Order Total   

$500 USD - $1,000 USD   3% of the initial $500 ($15)  plus 2% of the remaining total   

Over $1,000 USD   3% of the initial $500 ($15)  plus 2% of the initial $500 - $1,000 ($10)  plus 1% of the remaining total 

Yes, but there is no cap.  BrickLink has a tiered structure, that reduces as the order value goes up.  So its pretty much a wash.

Order Batch Total   Fee 

$0 USD - $500 USD   3% of the Order Total   

$500 USD - $1,000 USD   3% of the initial $500 ($15)  plus 2% of the remaining total   

Over $1,000 USD   3% of the initial $500 ($15)  plus 2% of the initial $500 - $1,000 ($10)  plus 1% of the remaining total 

So then these selling fees are monthly and not per item? I was under the impression that was per item sold.

So then these selling fees are monthly and not per item? I was under the impression that was per item sold.

As per Bricklink's Fee rules:

The fee is calculated for every order batch (order batch is every new order or addition to an existing order) at the time an order is submitted to a seller's store.

As per Bricklink's Fee rules:

The fee is calculated for every order batch (order batch is every new order or addition to an existing order) at the time an order is submitted to a seller's store.

So it is probably worth it to sell on brickowl if your sales are below $500 per month and bricklink sales over $500.

So, I discovered I was totally ignorant of alternatives to bricklink this morning.  In the past when I'd heard about brickowl I thought it was some kind of third-party interface to bricklink -- not a completely different market place.

For those that have used it, I've a few questions:

1. Do they have their own unique part numbers for everything (in addition to the LEGO part numbers) or are they reusing the part numbers from bricklink?  I see something named BOID, I'm guessing that is BrickOwl ID?  Is there anyone maintaining a translation table between that and bricklink ID's?

2. How well does it's wishlist do with finding the minimal number of shops to buy things from?

3. Any feedback from sellers that have used it -- was setting up and managing shops simple?  Was it easy to add a quantity of a set to your inventory and later, select some of that quantity to be parted out (populating your store with all the individual parts that were in those sets?)

Any other thoughts on BrickOwl?

Also, since I was ignorant about BrickOwls existance until this morning -- are there any other dedicated parts sites out in the wild right now?

I've been building an inventory on Brickowl for the past couple of weeks, and it's been pretty painless. I haven't opened up for business yet though.

I do miss having EU specific price guides, though I'm not sure it's much of an issue really.

One thing that has bugged me is minifigs. It's a nightmare trying to find them in the catalogue, and many aren't even in the catalogue yet, or aren't listed with an image.

And no, they don't use the same IDs as BL which really doesn't help. I understand they want to distinguish themselves from BL, but a little co-ordination there would go a long way IMHO.

I imagine this will improve over time, as will the whole catalogue/database, but it won't happen overnight, and a lot will depend on the efforts of the users with regards adding items to the database etc.

Also, I get the impression business is quite slow for new sellers on there, and that there are a few of the bigger sellers hoovering up a lot of business. I mean, if you're a new buyer looking for a few parts, you're most likely going to go straight to the seller with the highest feedback count and biggest inventory, making it harder for newer and small sellers to get a look in. I suppose patience and perseverance are the key here, and I wouldn't expect quick returns.

I don't have an open store on BL either, though I have tried building an inventory just to see what it was like. I might open one there too sometime.

I buy from BL quite regularly.

BO feels like a well run site though, and very easy to use and get around. The forum is certainly a lot better than BLs, which I find impossible.

I haven't bought any parts from there yet, or got a wishlist going, so can't help you there.

I think given time it could do well. BL can be a bit intimidating for first time buyers or for casual/one-off buyers just looking for those missing parts that little Johnny got stuck up his nose or whatever, and BO is a lot more appealing in that regard I think. Though many of the hardcore MOCers will most likely stay with BL for the time being.

I'd be curious to hear from any BO sellers & buyers on here on what they think.

So it is probably worth it to sell on brickowl if your sales are below $500 per month and bricklink sales over $500.

Hm? I'm not familiar with Brickowl's fee structure, but Bricklink's fees are added to your fee balance by order. If there is an order over $500, the fee % is lower from $501 to another threshold, so it has nothing to do with $500 per month. Just wanted to make sure you're not confusing the lower fee % threshold with something that it is not. 

If I understand Ed's post correctly, it's not per month. It's $500 per order batch, which would be a huge order, unless you're buying sets or something. I think my biggest ever order on there was for about