My Mom's Birthday: Christmas in July!

ExoBro94

So today, July 25th, is my mom's birthday. She knew I was going to get her something LEGO related and had originally wanted the Cinema Palace since I'm in college for Film. However, she hasn't built a LEGO set since I was about 4 or 5 years old. I thought a 2000 some piece count would be slightly too advanced for her right now, but I still wanted to get her a larger set.

So, since today is Christmas in July I decided to play up that aspect hardcore.  :santa:

First I wrapped the set:

Bu68IQm.jpg?1?5122

Uojq2eg.jpg?1

Then I gave it to her:

lSutnMz.jpg?1

Her reaction was great, haha: 

0HYpCgH.jpg?1

I think she is going to have a blast building this set. I would normally build a set this size in 2-3 days. I'm estimating she will be done with it.... at Christmas. Perfect timing! Maybe it will keep her busy and prevent her from calling me when I go back to school.  :biggrin:

(P.S. hoping this post finally nets me a photographer's award haha.)

• Like 5

Cool gift! The Cottage was the first set I built coming out of my dark ages, and it remains one of my top three favorites. Your mom's gonna have a blast building it :)

I hope so, I also feel like it's a great set for all AFOLs, especially "moms". It's a nice wintry house scene and something that she won't be afraid to display!

That's great your mom can appreciate Lego. good gift!

The Saturday that Orc Forge sold out on Target.com I was at work. I texted her and she went to the closest target and cleared out the OFs for me. She's gotten into it and LEGO investing has actually been something fun we can do together.

So today, July 25th, is my mom's birthday. She knew I was going to get her something LEGO related and had originally wanted the Cinema Palace since I'm in college for Film. However, she hasn't built a LEGO set since I was about 4 or 5 years old. I thought a 2000 some piece count would be slightly too advanced for her right now, but I still wanted to get her a larger set.

So, since today is Christmas in July I decided to play up that aspect hardcore.  :santa:

First I wrapped the set:

Bu68IQm.jpg?1?5122

Uojq2eg.jpg?1

Then I gave it to her:

lSutnMz.jpg?1

Her reaction was great, haha: 

0HYpCgH.jpg?1

I think she is going to have a blast building this set. I would normally build a set this size in 2-3 days. I'm estimating she will be done with it.... at Christmas. Perfect timing! Maybe it will keep her busy and prevent her from calling me when I go back to school.  :biggrin:

(P.S. hoping this post finally nets me a photographer's award haha.)

+1 for the guy on the left and his "Oh @#$@ yeah!" reaction.

That was pretty cool. happy birthday to your mom, july 25th is a good day, its actually my birthday today too. Its also awesome that your mom wanted lego for her birthday.

Happy birthday!

Lol Grandpa wants Lego, too.

"You know, back when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, we only had 10 Lego bricks, and they were all yellow!"

Back in the day he was a carpenter, so LEGO is right up his alley too!

The Saturday that Orc Forge sold out on Target.com I was at work. I texted her and she went to the closest target and cleared out the OFs for me. She's gotten into it and LEGO investing has actually been something fun we can do together.

That's nice your mom shares your hobby :). And that she'll go on buying sprees for you! The WV was a great idea. She can display it every year around the holidays. (Maybe even rebuild it once a year??) And you can always add on to the village by getting a different set for her next year.

Great story, it's so cool that your Mom likes Lego too - and as a Mom of an 18 year old, I can tell you that I treasure every single thing I have in common with my daughter - when our kids get all grown up it's tough on us moms, so everything that helps bridge that "kid to friend" gap is awesome. You're doing a really nice thing for your Mom by letting her keep a little corner of your ongoing life.