Maersk Ships... why the huge price gap from...

heathx3

the 2004 set to the newer versions? There is no "Sculptures" section so I will ask here. I have the original release from 2004 but it is almost 1/2 the price "used/open" as the newer versions from 2005 up. Why the price gap? Typically older is the more desired version and thus the higher priced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank all!

the 2004 set to the newer versions? There is no "Sculptures" section so I will ask here. I have the original release from 2004 but it is almost 1/2 the price "used/open" as the newer versions from 2005 up. Why the price gap? Typically older is the more desired version and thus the higher priced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank all!

While I'm not intimately familiar with the Maersk line, typically people like later remakes because they are better models.  They usually look more accurate and have better features than previous versions.

That's what's odd, the new version are only 2 pieces larger 990 compared to 988. Not really any construction change at all. The original retail price has a large gap though, 2004 ($79) and 2005+ was ($120) that's a $40 price hike for the same set in a single calendar year.

While I'm not intimately familiar with the Maersk line, typically people like later remakes because they are better models.  They usually look more accurate and have better features than previous versions.

This. Part of the reason why resellers and investors dread remakes is because the new version usually drops the value of the old version. I'm guessing that the 2004 Container Ship was the set that "tested the waters" for the Maersk LEGO line. TLG has done this before... release the first version with pretty good Price Per Brick ratios, and if it sells decently/up to their expectations, other versions are then made, but more according to how TLG thinks the set will sell, how much people will pay for it, etc. This almost always results in a price hike for the next couple waves of sets in the line. Look at the Creator Modulars as another example.