General storage questions

lotsoflego

Is stacking boxes flat on top of each other a bad idea? It seems like the most space effective way, but I wonder if I'm just asking for one of them to buckle. Has anybody done this before?

2015-06-27 20.19.57.jpg

That is a great space saving tactic don't listen to the naysayers. You do your own thing.

On a completely unrelated topic I do not mind buying dented and crushed boxes for personal, usually 35-50% off original retail of course, please keep me in mind when it is time for your big banged up, crushed and dented sale.  

• Like 8

Some people are funny. You have or will have 10k or more in Lego but don't want to spend $150 on a proper shelf :)

That's a good point. But two things contribute to my reason aside from that 1) I may be moving soon for the last time in a while 2) I don't know if I intend on keeping that much stock on me, rather than in storage or at Amazon.

Anyway, you can only fit about 5k on those shelves before appreciation. That's about 3% of cost spent on shelving. I could put that into an extra modular, and throw these in boxes, which I can stack any which way I want :)

Some great sets, but this is a terrible idea. If you must stack them, turn them side ways and put a couple sets beside each other. Do the same on top, but put them so they go across the opposite way (90 degrees rotated). Then again on top. Not the best way to store sets by any means, but this way the weight of each box is distributed across all the boxes of the lower layer. Sort of like Jenga. 

• Like 1

"It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now."

leslie_nielsen.jpg

I see what you did there.  I'll one up you...

"Johnny, what can you make out of this?"

"This, well I can make a hat, a brooch, or a pterodactyl" ---> clearly he is referring to one of the new Creator 3 in 1 series that has crossover with Jurassic World.

BfmvlP1CQAA1HhC.jpg

Back on topic - is there any danger if the boxes are touching one another for extended periods of time.  Do they stick to each other at all if they get warm.  Even indoors here in SoCal my house can get to 95+ degrees.

Edited by colossus
  • Like 1

Is stacking boxes flat on top of each other a bad idea? It seems like the most space effective way, but I wonder if I'm just asking for one of them to buckle. Has anybody done this before?

2015-06-27 20.19.57.jpg

As long as you put the really heavy ones on top and the light ones on the bottom, you should be fine.

You will also find (over time) that you will start having additional space on top (as if by magic).

:)

• Like 2

I too would like to know what sort of experiences people have had storing long term (2+ years) in warmer, more humid spaces like a garage, non-CC attic, or similar.

Obviously stacking is not the way to go here as the cardboard will become softer, however on shelves I'm wondering about seals, warping (especially larger sets like ToO), and even printing/ink sticking together.

Some great sets, but this is a terrible idea. If you must stack them, turn them side ways and put a couple sets beside each other. Do the same on top, but put them so they go across the opposite way (90 degrees rotated). Then again on top. Not the best way to store sets by any means, but this way the weight of each box is distributed across all the boxes of the lower layer. Sort of like Jenga. 

Yea, if you don't have shelving for those size sets - Stack them veritcal, 3-4 across, then do the same on top of that bottom stack. Much more sturdy. 

I too would like to know what sort of experiences people have had storing long term (2+ years) in warmer, more humid spaces like a garage, non-CC attic, or similar.

Obviously stacking is not the way to go here as the cardboard will become softer, however on shelves I'm wondering about seals, warping (especially larger sets like ToO), and even printing/ink sticking together.

Personally I haven't been doing this long enough to answer all of that but I have seen plenty of trailer pulls at wm to know there are risk involved with inefficient storage.