Technic Unimog 8110, was released at the end of year

Tell me about it. I've been reviewing the idea of investing so much money in the large sets solely because it's so hard to find boxes large enough to ship these huge items. I've looked at numerous websites for cardboard and there's not a lot about to accommodate the bigger Lego sets without having it three foot deep. Any suggestions on packaging?

I always order big sets one at a time and keep the box they come in. Shipping is always free so it's perfect. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I "manufacture" my own boxes by using a bigger box and simply cutting it down to size and re-taping seams with heavy duty reinforced parcel tape.  I use double-wall for the larger, expensive sets and wrap the set in a bin liner and then bubble wrap before fitting it snuggly in the box.  This helps protect it due to the heavy rain we have at the moment.  I've not paid for a box in months and I either re-use Amazon/Lego boxes or take them from supermarkets.  I buy large boxes of padded envelopes from Costco for the cheaper sets or those unboxed.  I've not actually sold a very valuable set (eg. 41999 or 71006) yet but, I'm tempted to list them for pick-up only.

I'm just about to post my last Iron Man ;-( and he's put in a box that I just cut out of a larger Amazon box.  It doesn't take too long to re-make a box once you have a knack for it.

Nice advice, I like the idea of wrapping sets in a plastic bin liner to protect from water. I ordered a Tower Bridge set from Amazon France, the box got sodden with all the rain which turned the cardboard to mush. This meant the soggy box ended up getting battered and offered no protection for the Lego set.