When & where did you find out about BrickPicker?

In december I wrote an article on a newspaper http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubblica/archivio/repubblica/2012/12/28/il-mattoncino-della-ripresa-diventare-ricchi-con.html?ref=search http://www.repubblica.it/speciali/repubblica-delle-idee/edizione2012/2012/12/28/news/adesso_il_mattoncino_lego_diventato_un_bene_rifugio-49570308/?ref=search http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubblica/archivio/repubblica/2012/12/28/lego-se-il-mattoncino-diventa-bene-rifugio.html?ref=search

Looking up set info and googled something about Lego price and clicked the link. A quick look at the site and a flick through the menus and I was signing up straight away. I'm not religious or anything but it still gets referred to in conversation as 'my bible'. Thanks guys.

I think this is my favorite thread on the site. I really do find it interesting learning when and how people find this site. I can't tell you how many conversations I had with Ed or my wife about whether this site would ever work and if anyone would even care. Yes, sadowsk1 is one of the originals for sure and one of the first to post on this forum ever. One day I hope to include a special badge just for those members. So far I don't think I read that anyone came here from the Brickipedia site or Rebrickable

I think this is my favorite thread on the site. I really do find it interesting learning when and how people find this site. I can't tell you how many conversations I had with Ed or my wife about whether this site would ever work and if anyone would even care.

Yes, sadowsk1 is one of the originals for sure and one of the first to post on this forum ever. One day I hope to include a special badge just for those members.

So far I don't think I read that anyone came here from the Brickipedia site or Rebrickable

I would certainly think your doubts over the site have been squashed at this point! I also enjoy seeing what led people to the site.

This article appeared on my homepage near the end of February. My collecting of sealed sets began a few years ago, but the idea of selling them regularly for a profit really intrigued me, and here I am today, hooked like a fish! I have many more sealed sets in my collection, but only list the ones I want to sell down the line in my Brickfolio.

So far I don't think I read that anyone came here from the Brickipedia site or Rebrickable

Mmm... I remember I found the site last July, severaltimes, both from googling, but also by cliking on "See a price and investment guide on BrickPicker.com" on a Wikipedia page (black castle 4785... don't laugh).

I also remember it took me a month or so before registering (I was really on the stealth side at that time :) ) as I usually don't want to let my email adress wander on the internet. But curiosity was stronger, and then I got addicted. I do not regret it!

Mmm... I remember I found the site last July, severaltimes, both from googling, but also by cliking on "See a price and investment guide on BrickPicker.com" on a Wikipedia page (black castle 4785... don't laugh).

I also remember it took me a month or so before registering (I was really on the stealth side at that time :) ) as I usually don't want to let my email adress wander on the internet. But curiosity was stronger, and then I got addicted. I do not regret it!

God only knows what the Mack's do with our email addresses and other personal information! On a serious note, I found this through brickipedia like a few others. I didn't hesitate to trust and signed up right away. My life hasn't been the same since...

Now there is less storage space in the basement and a lot more strange looks from friends and family when they see my 'brickfolio' in the flesh.

God only knows what the Mack's do with our email addresses and other personal information!

{insert maniacal laugh here} It's all part of our master plan for world domination :)

A real email is really the only thing we need to help try and stop spammers from joining. Everything else is encrypted. We understand people don't want to enter in personal info for stuff like this, so that's why we don't even ask for a name. Brick Classifieds will be a little different though and will require a few basic details in order to do transactions.

• 1 month later...

I think its interesting to know how people decided - Hey! I'm gonna spend a ton of money investing in toys!

For me, growing up, I always thought Lego sets were cool, but my parents wouldn't buy them for me (I needed to play sports evidently).  I saw some around once I had a job and money but I didn't even really know much about them and where to start.

I went to Disney World back in December of last year and walked into the Lego store. Right in the middle of the store... R2D2 in all its magnificence (I love Star Wars). I was amazed at just how great these toys were made - the detail and the vibrant color. I wanted it.

That just got me interested. Investing wise: I found this site looking for deals on Star Wars lego. That got me interested and informed on the Investing side, but it wasn't until the find of the century that I got really into it and saw the outcome.

I went to a local store called "Dirt Cheap" (which is awesome) that carries damaged and close out merchandise from Target, Walmart, Kmart, and others. They had just gotten a load of toys.

There were about 30 (!!!!!) Lego sets. Some half open, some missing figures. Needless to say, I was there for 2 hours seeing what I could find, what might have all the pieces, etc.

I ended up getting 6 Starwars Sets that were complete (Including a tie fighter, Xwing, and T6 Jedi Fighter), 4 Ninjaco Sets, 4 Super Hero Sets, and 4 Monster Fighter sets for 60% off or more. I paid 196.50. Best find may have been my first.

I sold the Monster Fighter sets and Ninjaco Sets (they don't interest me too much, or yet anyway) which paid for my whole purchase.

And so it was born. Without this, I probably would have never gotten into investing.

So what is it for you all?

I stumbled on this site searching for Lego value on the internet (I was trying to sell some sets on eBay).  Read all about investing in LEGO as compared to the stock market on some blogs here and there you go ... I got a strong urge to invest in LEGO since Im all into investing anyways through stock market and precious metals.  Just diversifying my investments and LEGO seems a good deal ...

• 2 months later...

Hello Brickpicker members,

I stumbled upon this site in March of 2013 after reading an article about it while trying to help my little brother earn some money for a new iPod touch.

I remember looking while in college and finding out that some of my lego star wars minifigures were worth a little money.

I was a huge lego fan from kingergarten until I was about 15. (Ranging from Aquazone to the Early-Mid Bionicle Run)

My little brother just so happened to have a 4855 Spider Man's Train Rescue circa 2004 (includeing Doc-Oc and Spiderman). He had opened it many years ago just to put the minifigures together and he was waiting for me to help him with the rest of the set. Well the set got pushed into his closet and we forgot about it until Spring of 2013 when I discovered its value on Brickpicker.

I could not believe the difference in price between the new and used values. I decided to list the set on eBay anyway hoping we would get lucky. The new price was around 125, while the used price was only 30. (Too bad he opened it just to put the figures together. There will still bags of unopened bricks in the box, the instructions and the sticker sheet were also intact.)

Amazingly, we got 85 dollars for this used set which just blew my mind considering this was nearly tripple what retail was back in 2004 for a brand new set. (I'm guessing that it helped that it's a liscensed set that included a train car with rail which is a double punch for investing) I was immediatly hooked on lego again at 22 and I have since ammased 19 sets. I just graduated college in May and lucklily landed a job to help pay for my new investment plans.

Edited by Jeff Mack
I merged this post with an already existing thread