The Simpsons - general discussion

Darth Lego

I really wonder how this would work, the simpsons is a cartoon for adults, sure kids have come to appreciate it as they have become more and more desensitized at younger and younger ages but the target audience always has been adults. TLG has always tried to stay away from controversial sets/themes and stick good wholesome fun, since the simpsons is really geared toward the adult audience, how would they avoid this issue? I don't want my little kids to have a playhouse where they can mutilate scratchy, nor do I want them playing out a drunken bar scene at Moe's Tavern. However, I would still love to have those in my collection. Most of the simpsons toys in the past have either been geared directly towards the adult collectors or been fairly innocent in nature, I would be curious how TLG would approach this.

• 2 months later...

Darth Lego already brought this up about two months ago. From the comments left, opinion for the possible license in Lego is divided. I still think it would be interesting to say the least but I rather have Family Guy. :P

I'd rather have Peter than Bart as well.

Simpsons I think will do fairly well with AFOL's that liked the show. Not sure how it will fare with kids though who are not familiar with the show.

Not to mention the new episodes suck, they are so hard to watch these days, to much political agenda behind the episodes.

• 2 months later...

From Brickset:

We ran a story about LEGO Simpsons rumours back in March. Now it seems they've been confirmed, according to an article in Danish newspaper dr.dk today. This is a translation of the article, courtesy of Google:

"One of the most-loved, arch American families are now emerging as LEGO figures. These are the yellow cartoon family, The Simpsons.

There has long flourished rumours of an impending romance between 20th Century Fox Television, the production company behind the successful series, and LEGO, but only now being co confirmed.

We'll see Homer, Bart, Marge and the others next year, says Mads Nipper, marketing director with responsibility for product development, marketing and sales of LEGO.

The launch of the characters is a "small product news" in the beginning, but if the reception is strong enough, can quickly turn up the production.  It will be a small launch, but it will hopefully be fun and exciting for those who like the Simpsons universe, says Mads Nipper.

The target audience for The Simpsons are teenagers and adults, but there are also many children who know them, says product manager at Top Toy, Carsten Nielsen. He has seen the figures as they appear in the 2014 catalog, and he says that "they are really well made."

Seems like this collaboration is 20 years too late.......it could very well be a hot seller but Ithink how much better it could have sold if they did this when the Simpsons were in their prime. Then again I'm not to sure where LEGO was 20 years ago.

Agreed, the simpsons these days are no where near the quality or popularity that it used to be. Even though the cartoon is still on TV i dont think any young children actually know what the show is.