The Simpsons - general discussion

Darth Lego

The Simpsons have been around for about 25 years.  They have various toy lines every few years that appear to be collectible.  I have a rubbermaid full of the World of Simpsons line.

I am excited about this.  If Lego can pull off a series of building/house sets to recreate part of Springfield, that would be great.  Their are plenty of characters to turn into figures so we should not end up with 30 blue pants/white shirt Homers.  If the sets keep true to the cartoon, then they probably have me hooked.

I think a big key to this theme will be the minifigures.  If they are done well and there are lots of them to collect (and don't have the same main characters in every set), I think the theme could do OK.  In fact, maybe LEGO should just do a CMF line for The Simpsons.  There are certainly plenty of characters to choose from!    

• Like 3

I think a big key to this theme will be the minifigures.  If they are done well and there are lots of them to collect (and don't have the same main characters in every set), I think the theme could do OK.  In fact, maybe LEGO should just do a CMF line for The Simpsons.  There are certainly plenty of characters to choose from!

A Lego Simpsons CMF series is the best idea I've read here in days.

I'm sure this can be a moneymaker, but I'm not interested.  It fits right along with Spongebob to me.  There are some cool things they could do with it, as I watched the show a bit when I was a kid, but it just doesn't appeal to me anymore.  The only piece I would want is a minifig Duff Beer accessory.

I feel exactly the same way. The theme and sets will be big winners I'm sure but you couldn't pay me enough to buy so much as one of these. I'd rather buy up all the Spongebob Squarepants and Avatar: The Last Airbender sets off of BrickLink and eBay before even looking at The Simpsons in Lego form.

On another note, I can't believe some people are getting so up in arms about this that they are actually starting petitions to ban Lego entirely which is moronic. If you don't like the item then don't buy it. Check out this message board about "SAY NO TO LEGO SIMPSONS!" It's already eleven pages long. :wacko:

Guest eightbrick

On another note, I can't believe some people are getting so up in arms about this that they are actually starting petitions to ban Lego entirely which is moronic. If you don't like the item then don't buy it. Check out this message board about "SAY NO TO LEGO SIMPSONS!" It's already eleven pages long. :wacko:

LOL. The fact that Lego is making this controversial license despite the Simpsons not being in its best days suggest the guys over at Consumer Research must think this theme is gonna kick butt.

I was a huge fan of the Simpsons, but guess I kind of grew out of it (not grew up mind you!).  It would be nice to see Lego get the licensing on a cartoon theme that is up and coming like Adventure Time.  About 6 months ago I tried buying some toys for my kids and couldn't find them...had to drive past 5-6 Toys R Us that were all sold out to get a Sword Of Battle.

I am starting to see T-shirts, toys, and other things at Target, Walmart etc...while this line would be a gamble (will it be around in 5 years?) it would also be HIGHLY sought after by kids and adults who all love the show.

Guest eightbrick

Hi guys!

Recently posted on Brickset was the rumored Simpsons set list. Usually when something makes brickset's front page it is probably right as that website is viewed by thousands, but if you aren't one of those people, here is the list (I believe the prices are in pounds):

Bart's Skate Trick (10) Includes Bart and Milhouse

Homer at the Control Panel (20) Includes Homer, Burns and Smithers

Lisa's Sax Performance (30) Includes Marge, Lisa, Sherri and Terri

Springfield Shops (50) Includes Bart, Krusty Burger Cashier, Krusty and Apu (possibly Nelson)

Simpson's House (70) Includes Homer, Marge, Lisa, Maggie, Grandpa, Flanders and Santa's Little Helper

Seems like a pretty mediocre lineup to me. The two higher budget sets seem to be the only "musts" out of that lineup. A monorail would really sweeten up this pot.

Here is the link to the article on Brickset: http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=7328

Anyone notice these roughly mirror the Simpsons intro?

Bart's Skate Trick - Starts at the end of school bell

Homer at the Control Panel - Finishing work when nuclear material falls on Homer's shirt

Lisa's Sax Performance - Band practice where Lisa improvises out the door

Springfield Shops - Where Bart weaves his way in and out of foot traffic

Simpson's House - They all arrive home at the same time

While this is probably just a coincidence, I found it interesting that even the order matched the order they occur in the title sequence.

Anyone see any other gunmen on the grassy knoll?

• Like 2

Anyone notice these roughly mirror the Simpsons intro?

Bart's Skate Trick - Starts at the end of school bell

Homer at the Control Panel - Finishing work when nuclear material falls on Homer's shirt

Lisa's Sax Performance - Band practice where Lisa improvises out the door

Springfield Shops - Where Bart weaves his way in and out of foot traffic

Simpson's House - They all arrive home at the same time

While this is probably just a coincidence, I found it interesting that even the order matched the order they occur in the title sequence.

Anyone see any other gunmen on the grassy knoll?

I haven't seen any other gunmen (ha), but I had the same feeling about the sets simply replicating the opening scene.

I know there was another discussion thread about the Simpsons somewhere and I apologize as this one appears more directed to the discussion of specific sets, but I can't help but think that the Lego Simpsons line is coming about 10-15 years too late. I'm sure the show is still popular, but is it anywhere near where it was during it's heyday of the mid-late 1990's? I'm not a regular viewer but I've been told by countless fans that the show has declined in recent years. 

Back on topic, I like the sound of the House, that's pretty much a sure buy for me, but I wish we were getting some of the other iconic locales from the show. Maybe in the 2nd wave.

I know there was another discussion thread about the Simpsons somewhere and I apologize as this one appears more directed to the discussion of specific sets, but I can't help but think that the Lego Simpsons line is coming about 10-15 years too late. I'm sure the show is still popular, but is it anywhere near where it was during it's heyday of the mid-late 1990's? I'm not a regular viewer but I've been told by countless fans that the show has declined in recent years. 

Back on topic, I like the sound of the House, that's pretty much a sure buy for me, but I wish we were getting some of the other iconic locales from the show. Maybe in the 2nd wave.

Some might say the same thing about Back to the Future. 

I am looking forward to seeing the minifigures.  I feel like they will be the main selling point behind these sets.  The builds themselves sound neutral to me.  Good call on the sets following the suit of the intro.

• Like 1

Some might say the same thing about Back to the Future. 

True, but BTTF was a one-shot deal catered to AFOLS as I imagine the majority of the CUUSOO stuff is. I'm just wondering if the time and effort is worth it for Lego to go full steam with an entire line of Simpsons stuff and the potential for many waves over many years. I'm sure there will be an audience for it to a degree, but I have reservations on whether this stuff can sell enough now to garner enough profit to keep it going, and whether bringing this out in 200 or so could've seen much better returns.

Spongebob did well, but I felt that the theme was probably released near the show's heyday, and I'm not sure that is the case here. Regardless, I'd like to see this line succeed.

milhouse_2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, this is strangely coincidental and disappointing at the same time. The Brick Fan has reported that there may not be sets at all for The Simpsons in Lego but instead Series 13 of the Collectable Minifigures line will be characters from the show to commemorate its 25th anniversary. It is also stated that future series of the Minifigures line will be of licensed characters.

So wait a minute, instead of actual sets everbody could easily collect, they will only release the characters as minifigures in limited quantities. Then insult to injury, every future series of the Minifigures line will be just of characters for licensed properties instead of original designs; the very reason the Minifigures line has been so profitable to the company and why people enjoy collecting them to begin with. Who the hell wants an army of Homers or Lisas or Krusty the Klowns?!

I'm sorry but all I can respond to this with is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TKl9R18LKU