The Simpsons - general discussion

Darth Lego

I really hope the rumors are false about the CMF's.  I have really gotten into them and if they made an entire line of Simpson's, or some other 3rd rate license they they purchased for the sole reason of making a CMF line, I will be disappointed.

I hope so too, and will also be equally disappointed.

Here is a segment from the original source.

When LEGO first launched the DC and Marvel Super Heroes line, a story was kicking around inside LEGO that there would be two different Super Heroes based Minifigures series, one for each license. Due to the continued success of non-licensed Minifigures, and how much it would bump up the price, the idea was canned (although it explains where many of the Comic Con exclusive figure designs come from).

But with sales of Minifigures not what they once were (although still strong), LEGO have decided that things need to be shaken up. For the foreseeable future Collectible Minifigures will be licensed. Series 13 will be a series based on The Simpsons, as part of a drive to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of that series. At least in the UK, there will be no building sets at mainstream retail to go alongside the Minifigures.

Between possible re-releases of earlier series for the Minifigues Online game and future series being based solely on licensed material, I don't know what to believe let alone how Lego will pull it all off. Well, if the Minifigues line does go in the way of trademarked subject matter over original content, I know what I am not buying anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if the Minifigues line does go in the way of trademarked subject matter over original content, I know what I am not buying anymore.

Me too.  Very disappointing either way  -  all from the movie or all licensed characters.  But it's ok if they include 1-2 such minifigs per series, I'll just try to avoid those. 

I'm kinda selfish about rumors of re-releases, 'cause I missed everything before series 9.  So I'd prefer that happening if to pick from "all evils".

I actually think licensed series will be cool! I mean, the generic figs get a little dull some time and they run out of unique ideas. I for one, would be much more interested in most licensed themes. Of course, on the other hand, if I didn't like the series theme (for example, Simpsons), I could see ignoring the whole series.

The point was raised on Eurobricks, "Why would Lego produce licensed CMF's?"  If they did this with an ongoing theme, Lego could expect their sales for those particular sales to drop significantly because many buyers buy for.............The MINIFIGURES!  I could see them making figures for sets not being produced, but to release Simpsons, or Superheroes, or LotR(God willing :drool:)  CMF's alongside sets, it would, I think, definitely affect set sales.  Something to think about.

• Like 1

I actually think licensed series will be cool! I mean, the generic figs get a little dull some time and they run out of unique ideas. I for one, would be much more interested in most licensed themes. Of course, on the other hand, if I didn't like the series theme (for example, Simpsons), I could see ignoring the whole series.

I beg you differ on running out of ideas.  Each series they made is like recording an album, they made more than 16 before they wind down to the final product.  I bet you they have more in the arsenal.  The whole licensing is for them to print more $$$ and would not be surprised they raise prices from $2.99 to 3.49-3.99.  The CMF were printing money even when they were charging 1.99 each for series 1 and 2.  TLG would not kill that cash cow.

Definitely a good point - I'm sure the licensed figs bring in more money...but that also validates my point that (in my opinion), I would show more interest in CMFs in themes or licensed themes rather than generic. That's just me - I know many, many like the CMF series as is.

However, it doesn't have to be entirely licensed to intrigue me. I think the theme for a entire series is what could work out nice.

The point was raised on Eurobricks, "Why would Lego produce licensed CMF's?"  If they did this with an ongoing theme, Lego could expect their sales for those particular sales to drop significantly because many buyers buy for.............The MINIFIGURES!  I could see them making figures for sets not being produced, but to release Simpsons, or Superheroes, or LotR(God willing :drool:)  CMF's alongside sets, it would, I think, definitely affect set sales.  Something to think about.

Imagine this - Going to your local Walmart, feeling a few dozen CM's, the coming across a $1,000 Azog minifigure! ;)

I actually think that this is a great idea. Just like would work for a few select themes to have the new Recruitment line of SW sets for other themes, like LEGO City.

Between a relaunch of the Minifigures line coinciding with the Minifigures Online game and sets being released for The Simpsons, I think some rumors are getting jumbled up and misinterpreted. I also think the rumor about Series 12 being used to help promote The Lego Movie along with some sets has fueled the gossip fire. Admitedly, we did see one image of a supposed set for The Lego Movie which does give a little bit of stable ground for sets being based on the film but not neccessarily for a series of Minifigures. I honestly cannot see Lego taking nothing but licensed properties for future series'. How many trademarked characters are out there that can fill up sixteen minifigure slots as well as all the possible new and very specific molds used to flesh out these characters?

Well, if things go as last year did in terms of rumors, we should have some more concrete notions by the following months.

Between a relaunch of the Minifigures line coinciding with the Minifigures Online game and sets being released for The Simpsons, I think some rumors are getting jumbled up and misinterpreted. I also think the rumor about Series 12 being used to help promote The Lego Movie along with some sets has fueled the gossip fire. Admitedly, we did see one image of a supposed set for The Lego Movie which does give a little bit of stable ground for sets being based on the film but not neccessarily for a series of Minifigures. I honestly cannot see Lego taking nothing but licensed properties for future series'. How many trademarked characters are out there that can fill up sixteen minifigure slots as well as all the possible new and very specific molds used to flesh out these characters?

Well, if things go as last year did in terms of rumors, we should have some more concrete notions by the following months.

I just got a little confused as far as how Series 12 will be released.  They will have something like 19 sets to go with the movie.  It doesn't make much sense to have that many products to cannibalize their sales.  Watching the trailer, it includes all the former minifigures that will be re-release with the 19 or so set.  Time will tell when the next press release comes out.  

I can see them do it do a minifigure series with the Simpson since there's around 300-400 characters in the TV show.  It should be interesting.

Latest rumor has it from a Fox insider (http://www.nerdly.co.uk/2013/09/17/scoop-confirmed-lego-simpsons-sets-for-2014/) that we're getting the Simpsons House ONLY, plus 16 CMFs including Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Apu, Chief Wiggum, Moe, Itchy and Scratchy in Spring 2014.

Plus there will be a special Lego Simpsons episode, presumably around that time to promote the line. This part is confirmed by a Simpsons director on Twitter.

Latest rumor has it from a Fox insider (http://www.nerdly.co.uk/2013/09/17/scoop-confirmed-lego-simpsons-sets-for-2014/) that we're getting the Simpsons House ONLY, plus 16 CMFs including Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Apu, Chief Wiggum, Moe, Itchy and Scratchy in Spring 2014.

Plus there will be a special Lego Simpsons episode, presumably around that time to promote the line. This part is confirmed by a Simpsons director on Twitter.

That's a bummer.  I was hoping that if LEGO did anything with the Simpsons, than they would just stick to making sets.  I've just recently got into collectible minifigures, and it would be terrible if the only minifigures to collect would be Simpsons characters.

That's a bummer.  I was hoping that if LEGO did anything with the Simpsons, than they would just stick to making sets.  I've just recently got into collectible minifigures, and it would be terrible if the only minifigures to collect would be Simpsons characters.

I feel the same way. Sets in a theme are just more readily accessible to everyone whereas Minifigures mystery packs are not always available or for that long. Plus unless you're a good smoosher, you're gonna end up with a ton of unwanted extras. Can you imagine trying to unload ten Homers? :no:

Probably the only positive I can think of with this scenario is it will give my wallet one heck of a break. So many characters lately I want extras of for one build idea or another....or just cause. ^_^ Well, I'm stocking up on Series 11, see how Series 12 will be, and then sit back from it all giving my hands a rest from 'smooshitis'.

Did no one read my inside info from a Lego store employee that this is going to be all sets and not CMF.  She could be wrong, but she seemed pretty confident about it.

p.s. I don't get all the Simpsons hate here.  They are cultural icons and the collectibility of anything Simpsons in Lego will be huge.

Did no one read my inside info from a Lego store employee that this is going to be all sets and not CMF.  She could be wrong, but she seemed pretty confident about it.

p.s. I don't get all the Simpsons hate here.  They are cultural icons and the collectibility of anything Simpsons in Lego will be huge.

I asked a Walmart employee about it too, and he said it will be sets only. 

Did no one read my inside info from a Lego store employee that this is going to be all sets and not CMF.  She could be wrong, but she seemed pretty confident about it..

Nobody pays any attention to "inside information" from Lego store employees because they have no idea what they're talking about. On the rare occasions they turn out to be correct, it's probably a matter of luck, like a broken clock being right twice a day.

Lego does not keep minimum wage clerks in the loop on unreleased upcoming product info.

• Like 1

Nobody pays any attention to "inside information" from Lego store employees because they have no idea what they're talking about. On the rare occasions they turn out to be correct, it's probably a matter of luck, like a broken clock being right twice a day.

Lego does not keep minimum wage clerks in the loop on unreleased upcoming product info.

This times 1000!!!!!

I read it and is something to consider same as every other rumor with a pinch of salt. She could very well be right or not but we won't really know until it gets closer to the end of the year.

I don't get all the Simpsons hate here.  They are cultural icons and the collectibility of anything Simpsons in Lego will be huge.

The investing aspect is undeniable but it doesn't mean we have to like it all the same. It sounds like a half & half between people either liking the show or not, and I think the biggest part that has most of us ticked is the way of how it sounds as though Lego may be doing nothing but licensed material for their Minifigures line after Series 12. I honestly can't see them doing a entire series of minifigures that way especially if there is supposed to also be sets going with them and I seriously question all these different 'sources' claiming things going one way or the other. Hell, I question this entire Lego Simpsons debaucle as is.

Only time will truly tell in this wasteland of gossip and rumors....

According to BrickUltra series 13 will be all Simpsons characters along with a TV special. In the article there are also 5 set that will go with the lineup.

I think you forgot this: http://brickultra.com/lego-the-simpsons-collectible-minifigures-series-13-announced/ :)

But this is more useful: http://www.nerdly.co.uk/2013/09/17/scoop-confirmed-lego-simpsons-sets-for-2014/ :)