I bet you all regret not stock piling on this little nugget of gold

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

I couldn't resist sending him a note just now saying "How much for the whole lot as I've just won the lottery and money is no object.  I need 150 of these by next weekend for my celebration LOTR themed party to hand out as free gifts.  I can't buy them anywhere and I'm desperate."

when he sells them  (and i'm sure he will) I'm sure many here will see their Brick Folio rocket in gains. I'm going to cash in on my set around Christmas when there will be even greater demand and buy 5 Tower Bridges and a couple of VW camper vans and maybe a few Haunted Houses and definitely a SSD or two. Any change left over I'll think about an Ewok Village.

Some sellers use the "buyers are idiots" strategy - this may be one.

But some sellers intentionally raise the price of an out-of-stock item (that they think they might get more of to restock, at which point they lower the price again) into the stratosphere to "hold" their place in best match search (when you sell multi quantities, each sale helps bump you up in best match for that listing. If you sell out and have to create a new listing, you have to start all over with a fresh best match algorithm).

By raising the price to "ridiculous" on an item, there's little risk of a buyer purchasing something they don't have in stock, and if a buyer by some fluke does, they have enough cash to quickly find it elsewhere and fulfill the order.