Citizen Brick - Superlab Playset

TheOrcKing

Having them available again in a second run does seem to go against this statement in their email: "This puts you in elite company as these sets are now sold out, never to return."

I think I said before they did the same thing with the Minifig, so no surprises there.  So anyone who is thinking of these as an investment might want to... tread lightly 

• Like 1

Having them available again in a second run does seem to go against this statement in their email: "This puts you in elite company as these sets are now sold out, never to return."

I think I said before they did the same thing with the Minifig, so no surprises there.  So anyone who is thinking of these as an investment might want to... tread lightly 

Now that puts another light on it, and they really should NOT claim it's a limited one-time only run only to change their minds. Not cool.

• Like 1

So much win.

Who cares if they make more? These aren't for resale anyway, and I'm all for more people getting to enjoy how brilliantly designed this set is. They sold out of their original run within a few weeks, and I'm sure hundreds more people are appreciative (including a few fellow BPers) that they allowed them another opportunity to get the set.

Guest eightbrick

So people don't seem to be happy (not sure if this was posted yet): A Daily Mail article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415463/Outrage-toy-company-creates-crystal-meth-lab-children-Breaking-Bad-play-sets.html) slammed the set for the lethal combination mixing children's toys and a TV show meth lab. My annoyance with news and social media's ignorance and poor choice of wording in recent Lego outcries (eg. Jabba's Palace, the Brick Bible, etc.) is mounting: if one were to look at the headline ("Outrage as toy company creates "crystal meth lab" for children with breaking bad play sets") and couple it with the picture of the set, they would assume all the blame is solely on Lego. While the content of the article does indeed point out that this wasn't on Lego, the way the ideas are presented certainly suggest so. Just like the JP fiasco, they are going after the wrong people.

I don't really agree with the article because:

A) It isn't changing anything. I doubt anyone not already farmiliar with the mature themes of Breaking Bad would shell out 200 dollars for the set; it's not like this is exposing the set to innocent children. In fact, if any innocent kids were exposed to the sad world of narcotics by this, I would guess the majority of them happened upon the set because of this article.

B ) It wasn't directed at children in the first place, and I think they were very careful to not mention any BB IP like names or such, probably so they didn't have to deal with licensing.

C) There is a lack of significant, repeated information saying Lego is not at fault in the title.

D) It's from the Daily Mail. xD

What do you guys think?

So people don't seem to be happy (not sure if this was posted yet): A Daily Mail article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415463/Outrage-toy-company-creates-crystal-meth-lab-children-Breaking-Bad-play-sets.html) slammed the set for the lethal combination mixing children's toys and a TV show meth lab. My annoyance with news and social media's ignorance and poor choice of wording in recent Lego outcries (eg. Jabba's Palace, the Brick Bible, etc.) is mounting: if one were to look at the headline ("Outrage as toy company creates "crystal meth lab" for children with breaking bad play sets") and couple it with the picture of the set, they would assume all the blame is solely on Lego. While the content of the article does indeed point out that this wasn't on Lego, the way the ideas are presented certainly suggest so. Just like the JP fiasco, they are going after the wrong people.

I don't really agree with the article because:

A) It isn't changing anything. I doubt anyone not already farmiliar with the mature themes of Breaking Bad would shell out 200 dollars for the set; it's not like this is exposing the set to innocent children. In fact, if any innocent kids were exposed to the sad world of narcotics by this, I would guess the majority of them happened upon the set because of this article.

B ) It wasn't directed at children in the first place, and I think they were very careful to not mention any BB IP like names or such, probably so they didn't have to deal with licensing.

C) There is a lack of significant, repeated information saying Lego is not at fault

D) It's from the Daily Mail. xD

What do you guys think?

LOL. **** the media. 

Anyway, my set just shipped.

Guest eightbrick

Anyway, my set just shipped.

You'd better return it. By not doing so you would be needlessly exposing innocent youths to a TV franchise they probably already watch. :rolleyes:

Guest eightbrick

And now we know why CB reopened sales.

Nothing like free advertising! :thumbsup:

Yep, the bright souls over at Daily Mail just increased the publicity for the product. Talk about getting used.

I can't express how annoying it is when people say, or even subtlety imply that Lego is at fault for these kind of things (which aren't really crimes by any means). Meanwhile, I have yet to read any articles about paint companies being responsible for graffiti, and most people still resist the idea that gun companies don't contribute to violence. Strange world we live in...

So people don't seem to be happy (not sure if this was posted yet): A Daily Mail article (link) slammed the set for the lethal combination mixing children's toys and a TV show meth lab.

Obviously, someone doesn't know a joke or parody when they see it. Well, that and people just like to b***h, piss, and moan about anything really.

Would one of you mind posting some pics/review when you get it? I would be interested to see the packaging and stuff.

I'll definitely post up a few quick pics of the packaging.  Was then planning on doing a bit of a simple photo based blog on the build and finished product.

Might be a couple of weeks before it gets to me though :)

Hi Guys, 

My name is Bryan and I designed this set for Citizen Brick. I've actually been a fan and member of this site for awhile but haven't posted much here in the forums. First off I'd like to say it's very refreshing to read the thoughts of fellow LEGO fans who have a better sense of what goes into producing something like this than the average person(that Daily Mail article has made this experience interesting to say the least, but more on that in a bit).  I just wanted to hop on here and give guys a little insight into what's going on mainly because we really appreciate your comments and patronage.  

This whole thing started back in January, I had made a much more elaborate version of the lab for Joe as a back drop for the Chemistry Enthusiast product photos (if you look at those photos closely you can see some aspects that made it into the final set). Well after that was released we got a decent amount of interest in the backdrop and a lot of emails asking if we ever planned on releasing it as a set. In March we decided to do it and I went about refining the backdrop I had made into something more of a display piece.  

To get to my main point in posting: we debated doing a numbered limited edition piece, but after considering the experience with the Chemistry Enthusiast, didn't want to do that and have happen exactly what has happened and pull a Minecraft on you guys. Needless to say the demand for another run of sets was intense after that sloppy Daily Mail mail article, there is certainly truth to that old adage there's no such thing as bad publicity).  So all that being said I just want to come and assure you guys that while it isn't a limited edition, there is a definite limit to the number of these we could ever produce and that number, while we don't yet know exactly, it will definitely be south of 500. To be honest we were really surprised that the first run of 150 sold out in the amount of time it did, and initially after that Daily Mail article we resisted the idea of making more.  It quickly became apparent that it would be crazy not too. After all Joe is running a business and supports 2 full time employees in the process (myself am a freelance "member of the team" doing product photos and small private commissioned sets that sometimes come in).  For those of you who did order in the first run, your set will have been hand pack by yours truly from over 90 different bricklink orders and a PAB order that was delivered on a freaking pallet! This second run will be giving our unemployed friends a couple of days of work, I might go batty trying to do that again. Now I'm not deluded enough to think that me packing it adds any value to the set, but that info certainly gives you guys someone to yell at if your set shows up with anything missing : ) 

On a serious note though if your set shows up with anything missing pieces, let us know and we'll get your pieces out ASAP! We have extras parts standing by, because while I did my absolute best a mistake here and there may surface.  When in doubt, I always aired on the side of caution so you may end up with an extra 2x2 red tile or two.

After all that rambling I just wanted to talk about the Daily Mail article a little more.  The sensational claims about this being for children didn't bug me so much, that's just the Daily Mail for you. Of course this isn't meant for kids and I hope most reasonable people see that.  What did bug me was all the sloppy journalism especially when it came to including pictures of Orion Pax's RV and the other fan made superlab.  Besides having to explain over and over that the RV is not included or for sale separately, we were all horrified to be getting the credit for an amazing piece that we didn't do.  We've contacted Alex (Orion Pax) just to stay sorry and let him know that the Daily Mail never contacted us before posting the article.  I'm hoping that he ends getting some exposure from all this because that guy is an INCREDIBLY talented builder and has always been one of my favorite MOC'ers. We've also contacted the Daily Mail and the authors of many articles that simply rephrased the DM article and used the same pictures. It's been really disappointing to see the same misinfo posted over and over.  There has only been one article I've seen that bothered to do any research: http://www.mediaite.com/online/breaking-bad-lego-knockoff-meth-lab-playset-sells-out-online/#0, kudos for Tommy Christopher for actually doing more than a google image search.

Lastly I just wanted to thank you all for your patience.  The original two to three week wait was because we were having some issues with the company doing the packages, but wanted to time the announcement with the premiere of a certain show.  Well it took even longer than that.  Trust me when I say I can sympathize with the agony of having to wait, the two weeks it takes to order through PAB drives me nuts.  I donated to the Brick Tracks Kickstater and was starting to get impatient but I now have a whole new appreciation for what Dan and the guys at Brickmania do on a much larger scale than this!  It's been killing us because we are really excited to see what you all think of it.  The boxes finally came in Monday and Tuesday the initial run went out so will hopefully getting to you by the weekend.  I really hope that those who ordered it enjoy it! The enthusiastic response has inspired us to do more.  We've realized this was a pretty ambitious first set and have learned a few lessons to ensure future releases are smoother!  I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys have and will be checking back on this thread, but please don't hesitate to criticize knowing that I'm reading, I'd love to hear feedback either way so we can make the next set even better!

Your Friend in Bricks,

Bryan McLean

Time to cook.'' target='_blank'>Time to cook.>Time to cook.  just in case you guys think I'm just some crazy rambling rando : )

P.S. Grolim: Dude! Your lab is awesome! I promise I hadn't seen it until now and I absolutely love your trays. Is that a thorium oxide furnace I see in the background? : ) I look forward to the finished MOC because I can already see yours will end up much more detailed and closer to the real thing. Keep up the great work!

P.P.S. If you don't mind me weighing in,  I can't really see this being a great investment simply for the reasons that have been mentioned, but also because I imagine after the show ends interest will wane in all but the most hardcore fans and I think anyone willing to spend the money already has.  That being said if you can resell yours for a profit by all means do it!  I don't know if this would be considered insider trading, but I was a little surprised by the number of people that ordered two.  It wasn't a large number, but still surprised me. I'm betting more than a few were gifts, but I'm sure there may have been a few investment pieces in there.  If it was any of you as I said before even after this second run there will end up only being a few hundred of these.

Edited for some pretty atrocious spelling errors : )

Brian, thanks so much for posting all that info!  It's really great to hear directly from the designer of this awesome set.  Cool to know that you packed my set personally.  Hope it was packed well to make the trip all the way over to little NZ  :D

I think it's fine that there has been a second run of sets.  To me it's something every fan of the show should have!  Less than 500 does make it still quite limited as well for those who like that aspect of exclusivity or are taking a punt as an investment.

On that article and the resulting publicity I'm sure it's made it a busy time for you guys.  It's things like this that show up just how hopeless most "news" organisations are.  But at least the publicity has increased sales and traffic to Citizen Brick  :thumbsup:

Coming back to the design of the set - can you elaborate more on your process to come up with the design?  I'd love to hear more on your thoughts on making the set.  Things like the 3 hinged room design, the decision to use custom printed bricks and how those where made, plus thoughts on where to draw the line on things like size etc.  How you come up with combinations of parts to make it look so simple yet detailed?  And perhaps the thoughts on the minifigs and the only one minor criticism of no Jesse?

Thanks for the comments on my Lab MoC.  It's the first time I've had a go at any sort of MoC and my lack of creativity has pushed me into trying to replicate the BrBa lab as close as possible  :D   I've made a small amount of progress recently so have put a few updates in the gallery.  Like I said earlier in the thread, after I build the CB set I'm hoping to use some of the parts and techniques in mine.