When you target a set to build, what condition do you prefer to buy it in?

Which do you prefer  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer when buying a set to build

• MISB set - pay top dollar
    • NISB - Decent "new" price
    • Used set with box/instructions - pay top used dollar
    • Used set, put together, no box/instructions - pay low used dollar
    • Bulk lot - don't know if it is all there, super cheap

I go the bulk route, I love the grab bag aspect of it, determining what set I will build next is more complicated than just picking up a box and opening it I have to search for all the parts and then find ways to replace anything that's missing. I probably have something like 200 sets partially complete that I am working towards. Once I get within 10 pieces or so of completion I do a bricklink order. I a m currently very close to completing a 6201 sail barge and a 6209 Slave 1. It's probably far more work than it's worth but I consider it my therapy, nothing relieves stress more for me than sorting through a massive pile of Lego.

Definitely prefer new in unopened box for our own builds - don't care if the box itself is trashed, though.

The main reason is that nobody except my husband can apply decals to his standards, and I'm tired of hunting down obscure decal sheets to purchase for him after he explains in minute detail that he needs them, immediately or sooner, and that the person who put the decals on his set of the week was obviously a convicted felon, a vandal, and probably talks in movie theaters.

• Like 2

Definitely prefer new in unopened box for our own builds - don't care if the box itself is trashed, though.

The main reason is that nobody except my husband can apply decals to his standards, and I'm tired of hunting down obscure decal sheets to purchase for him after he explains in minute detail that he needs them, immediately or sooner, and that the person who put the decals on his set of the week was obviously a convicted felon, a vandal, and probably talks in movie theaters.

Lol I can see this one. He would not be happy with my decal applying.

I can't remember the last time I bought a used set for myself. I buy used collections every couple of weeks and if there is anything in the collection that's on my list it usually gets built and added to my personal collection. I usually build them last and they are usually missing a few pieces. At some point I'll probably pull it out and see if I have any of the missing parts in my spare parts collection since I bought more loose collections. Sometime they have instructions, sometimes they don't.

I am happy with a used set with most of the pieces.  I like the detective part of the process; discovering what is missing and then hunting them down.  I also prefer not to pay top dollar for a set knowing that I am immediately going to throw some of my money away by cracking open the box and actually handling the pieces.  If I ever come up with the space to display some sets I will likely move towards getting more new sets.

I am happy with a used set with most of the pieces.  I like the detective part of the process; discovering what is missing and then hunting them down.  I also prefer not to pay top dollar for a set knowing that I am immediately going to throw some of my money away by cracking open the box and actually handling the pieces.  If I ever come up with the space to display some sets I will likely move towards getting more new sets.

I agree with that - but I still like a used set already separated. I just hate digging through pieces and sorting.

Hmmm...  Probably brand new for a good sale price would be my 1st choice, I would also look for "warehouse deal", "open box" or so from online stores or retailers.  Then I'd look on ebay for used.  Why - 'cause I don't always have time to wash it and sort it. 

I'd also consider full retail for some special occasion, like if my kid wants the set and it's gonna be a tragedy if not getting it right away :)

I try to get a set at the lowest possible price, without buying it in a bulk lot. I would pay for a set without the box and instructions. For building it, I just want the set. I can find instructions online, so that is not a problem. The box takes up to much space, so I do not need that either.

For new release sets i like NIB sets as i build to display. I will only buy on special, less than retail.

I do buy lots of bulk lots, prefer sets already built, but randoms with instructions is ok. Largest haul has been 50kgs of colour sorted lego with over 50 instruction booklets. 

WIth bulk lots, any sets I dont have or want I will build first and keep, the rest I will then build according to most expensive / rare. I buy bulk to flip and if i dont double my money, not worth my time. 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

I prefer to be the sole owner of the set and the pieces to be new and unused.

I'm a bit like that too but, I'm not bothered about box condition if I'm building it.  I'd like a pristine box for large/expensive sets but a slightly squashed on is OK for smaller sets that buyers ate more likely to build.

I get it from my mother as we went to a jumble sale many years ago and she said, "Put that Action Man down, you don't know where it's been!".