Used Brick Tips & Condition

I'm wondering what is considered acceptable from the standpoint of the used condition of bricks in a built set. I am currently piecing together some sets from a massive CL haul. I am discarding any broken, discolored, or gouged/dented/deeply scratched pieces, but almost all have numerous hairline scratches on them that can be seen when looking at them at a certain angle with decent lighting. For the modulars I'm building, I'm thinking about just pick-a-bricking a ton of 2x2 and 1x2 tiles, since these seem to be the most noticeable (on the sidewalk areas, mostly).

I realize that even brand new sets can have these scratches, just from being in the bags, so I'm wondering what the expectation is when buying a used set. What is the acceptable level of hairline scratches, or minor damage, in general?

Additionally, does anyone have a good method for removing these minor blemishes from bricks?

• Like 1

Basically if the bricks are odor free, are not chewed, discolored, stained, or deeply/severely scuffed/scratched, I consider them "good used condition" when I'm buying or selling.

I do explain what I mean by "good used condition" in just those terms though - and add that mild to moderate visible scuffing and scratching, small dents, etc. all may occur in our used parts.

(I don't know about blemish removal, but will read any replies on same with interest. I do know that you can permanently remove smoke smell by giving them a good wash in soap and water and then leaving them outside in the open air (but not in sunlight) for a week or two.

I'm wondering what is considered acceptable from the standpoint of the used condition of bricks in a built set. I am currently piecing together some sets from a massive CL haul. I am discarding any broken, discolored, or gouged/dented/deeply scratched pieces, but almost all have numerous hairline scratches on them that can be seen when looking at them at a certain angle with decent lighting. For the modulars I'm building, I'm thinking about just pick-a-bricking a ton of 2x2 and 1x2 tiles, since these seem to be the most noticeable (on the sidewalk areas, mostly).

I realize that even brand new sets can have these scratches, just from being in the bags, so I'm wondering what the expectation is when buying a used set. What is the acceptable level of hairline scratches, or minor damage, in general?

Additionally, does anyone have a good method for removing these minor blemishes from bricks?

I think you will get different answers from just about everybody on here as to what is acceptable.  So it will depend on the buyer.  If I was buying to give to my kids it wouldn't bother me as much...on a Modular I might be pickier.  I think if you are the seller, just make sure to be VERY clear as to what the damage or "used-ness" is and put a picture of what you mean in the listing. 

• Like 1

Guest betsy805

I just picked up a craigslist haul yesterday and to my dismay I'm finding that the kid PAINTED on some of his legos and minifigure faces.  Any idea on how to get that out?  I just tried a magic eraser, isopropyl alcohol, and nail polish remover and nothing worked.  On a separate note, I haven't tried this, but if you have discolored legos (like how the white can yellow over time), you can put them in a bowl of hydrogen peroxide near a sunny window and they'll revert back to their normal color.

I just picked up a craigslist haul yesterday and to my dismay I'm finding that the kid PAINTED on some of his legos and minifigure faces.  Any idea on how to get that out?  I just tried a magic eraser, isopropyl alcohol, and nail polish remover and nothing worked.  On a separate note, I haven't tried this, but if you have discolored legos (like how the white can yellow over time), you can put them in a bowl of hydrogen peroxide near a sunny window and they'll revert back to their normal color.

I have had some luck getting marker off with magic eraser, but on minifig heads, it will generally take off some of the printing as well.  So I don't usually bother, and if the marker is on a white piece, I toss it, I'm not sure there is a cure for that. 

With  your hydrogen peroxide, make sure you have some Oxy-Clean or equal in the mixture as well. 

I had a similar situation with a City lot I bought on CL recently, although it was glitter glue instead of paint (apparently, Policemen can be "bedazzled" too).  I used WD-40 on the bricks - I sprayed the affected areas with the lubricant and let it sit for 10-15 minutes, and then scrubbed the studs with a toothbrush.  All the glitter glue came off after some elbow grease. 

Guest betsy805

Following up on this.  After some research I tried soaking the minifigures in a bowl of Greenworks cleaner overnight.  Viola!  It's about 90% cleaned off and I'm leaving them in there the rest of today to see if it will get the rest of it off.  Doesn't appear to have affected the minifigure faces or the printed pattern on the legs.  So in case you have someone that used what I'm assuming is model paint on their expensive star wars minifigures, greenworks works :)

Following up on this.  After some research I tried soaking the minifigures in a bowl of Greenworks cleaner overnight.  Viola!  It's about 90% cleaned off and I'm leaving them in there the rest of today to see if it will get the rest of it off.  Doesn't appear to have affected the minifigure faces or the printed pattern on the legs.  So in case you have someone that used what I'm assuming is model paint on their expensive star wars minifigures, greenworks works :)

Great to hear!  Always good to have another bullet in the holster when flipping used sets.

Guest betsy805

Ok cleaning experts...what's the best way to get standard ink pen stains off of pieces? I have a bunch of clones from a bulk lot that the kid tried to color, primary the helmets. Some he did with permanent marker, other with an ink pen.

Have you tried magic eraser? Or someone above mentioned sunblock

Ok cleaning experts...what's the best way to get standard ink pen stains off of pieces? I have a bunch of clones from a bulk lot that the kid tried to color, primary the helmets. Some he did with permanent marker, other with an ink pen.

Sunblock. Try it on the worst one first, I'm not sure how it will affect the printing.

I have heard that hairspray gets ink out of clothes, so it may get ink off of ABS.  I have NOT tried this yet, but it could be worth a try.  Obviously, try a test spot first on a non-valuable fig/brick.

*edit* I saw someone on another board say WD-40 worked for them in getting permanent marker off ABS.  Try this if all else fails.

There are a bunch of options in this thread - http://www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/showthread.php?41158-Removing-permanent-marker-from-ABS-plastic

I would avoide goof-off, I suspect that it has harsh chemicals (like acetone/nail polish remover) that may eat at the Lego.

Try using a dry erase marker, it works to remove "permanent" marker off of dry erase boards (and my desk at work, there is no reason that is should not work on Lego). Simply draw over the permanent marker with the dry erase marker, then wipe it off. The permanent marker should be gone.

• Like 1

I've gotten used to the topic merging, but I wonder if when it happens the title of the topic could be changed to something a little more generically descriptive?

I.e, this one might become something like "Used Brick Tips & Condition" or something a little less cumbersome than what it's current sporting?

(Just an idea, feel free to point and laugh.  :twitch:  )