Toys R Us gave me a good laugh today

RunnersDad

I went into TRU today after dropping my son off at school to do a quick search for any hidden Crawlers and to just take a general look around. Upon entering the Lego aisle I found this...

9557461145_3b32164bdf.jpg

I about laughed out loud at the sight of this. A 1-2 year old set, minus any of the figures, and they are still trying to get close to the suggested retail price. I am not quite sure how they even ended up with an old return like this because I thought there were significant limitations on that but who knows.

Either way it perked me up a little bit this morning and I thought I would share it with all of you!

They are a hilarious bunch over there. I think I was a week into Lego investing when I popped into the local TRU, fresh as paint, and saw a wonderful site: Buy 1 get one 1/2 price! How lucky was I to hit a bargain like that?!

Fortunately, being from a long line of suspicious cheapskates, I had my trusty Red Laser app ready and soon found that Walmart and Target had all the same stuff at their regular prices, for less than the "deal" would cost me on any two sets.

Guest eightbrick

I did a quick search and I don't think that set even won the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Platinum Award. I guess they just thought they can slap those stickers wherever they want. Ridiculous.

I did a quick search and I don't think that set even won the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Platinum Award. I guess they just thought they can slap those stickers wherever they want. Ridiculous.

I was just about to ask if that set actually won that award. Ridiculous.

Guest eightbrick

Funny you posted this......I saw a ninjago skull bike at the dedham ma tru today. Same red sticker....said "missing pieces" for $54.

What the heck? That's like double the set's complete new value. I thought all the people who didn't want to have to use their brain cells at work flipped hamburgers, not worked at TRU. Guess I was wrong... 

What the heck? That's like double the set's complete new value. I thought all the people who didn't want to have to use their brain cells at work flipped hamburgers, not worked at TRU. Guess I was wrong... 

I have met all types of people working at TRU, Target, Walmart, etc... Some do it just for the discount, or as a means to make money well in school, etc.. while for others it's a way of life because they don't have many options.

I think in reality they probably put someone in charge of the red stickers that doesn't have a vast knowledge of the product line and it's pricing, or, they are simply trying to gouge the crap out of you like they do already with their through the roof retail prices!

Guest eightbrick

TRU Board Member 1: "So, I was thinking... I'm getting bored of sucking every last penny from the poor saps who buy Lego from us...I need ideas people..."

TRU Board Member 2: "How about we do a BOGO but raise the prices on the affected items?"

TRU Board Member 1: "No, no, we already have done that..."

TRU Board Member 2: "Hmmm. What about occasionally offering good deals and then cancelling the orders?"

TRU Board Member 1: "NO! We need something new, something fresh... *sees pile of incomplete returned boxes* ...yes...yes... I've got it: we will sell incomplete items for above retail! Slap on a fake award sticker while you are at it. Mwhahahahaha!

TRU Board Member 2: "Mwhahahaha!"

Rest of the TRU Board (in a creepy, unified tone): "Mwhahahahaha!"

Only at TRU can you buy incomplete, used sets for retail price! Slap on a fake sticker and it`s good to go!  :blink: I`d be surprised if it was 100% complete part-wise either. What would be even more sad is if some unsuspecting parent buys this for that price regardless of the missing figs just because of that. 

Also, got to give Brain a +1 for that use of humor!

Unreal. A few weeks ago I stopped by a TRU and saw at least  25 Advent Calendars (2010, 2011)  on the very top shelf. I thought hey, they are two years old... they will be really cheap. Nope, manager said they were full retail????  I asked what he was going to do with all of those.. 

I got a blank stare and ..." I have no idea"..

Mark them down and sell them !!!!

Lol. I got that set at Target during clearance time - they found it in the back - no price. COmplete.

What did I pay - $3

Suck it TRU

I had found a lone Ewok Attack at Target the system could not find and I bought it for $5 with no tax. That felt great although the box condition wasn't so good but still sealed. Anyway, I think I remember getting that Sith Nightspeeder for $12 at Walmart because some employee stuck the wrong price tag sticker on it.

Guest TabbyBoy

Nearly as bad as WH Smith in the UK where Lego is well above RRP and boxes are often tatty.  The next big UK name to go **** up?  If so, be ready for a liquidation sale.

Only bigger morons than the people working at Toys R Us are those buying at Toys R Us.

We got a chain over here that does the same thing (pricing 20% over LEGO Shop at Home prices, which are sometimes already ridiculously higher than online retailers). How they are still in business I don't know.

Guest ph4tb0i

Only bigger morons than the people working at Toys R Us are those buying at Toys R Us.

We got a chain over here that does the same thing (pricing 20% over LEGO Shop at Home prices, which are sometimes already ridiculously higher than online retailers). How they are still in business I don't know.

yep, and I'm said moron. *counts $$$ made on eBay from MMPR toys on sale at TRU*

Just because they have bad Lego prices doesn't mean all their prices are bad. But whatever, all us TRU shoppers are morons. lol. 

There will be a new TRU built near my residence and I'm happy...more options to shop for Lego/toys eventhough like other members have said the prices can be higher than other retailers.  You just have to wait for the right deals.  In CAN, if it wasn't for TRU I wouldn't have gotten my Fun Houses, Arkham Asylum and Haunted Houses below Lego Store/retail price when they have 20% off, did some price matching with ad errors haha, got my bundle of Robin red cycle polybags etc. etc.  I am old school and don't buy internationally either (amazon.com or uk) so I will take more shopping options anyday.  No I don't work for TRU :)  Just pick your purchasing moments carefully like at any store when there are deals.  TRU has clearance prices on playmobil and transformers sometimes and you can't really beat the selection compared to other brick-motar retailers. 

Also, some of my not so savvy buyers will compare my 'discounted' Lego prices with higher still in stock TRU prices...gives me good leverage to tell them I'm cheaper in most cases. 

Hmmmm, been a while since I've purchase something from TRU...hope they have a decent promo this weekend ;)     

There is definitely $ to be made shopping at TRU and flipping on eBay/Amazon. You just have to be smart about it and pay attention to sales/discounts - and clearance items, which can be 15-20% off of TLG retail prices at times - often at EOL after other retailers have sold out. At the same time, there have to be plenty of people out there who are paying out the nose to buy sets at TRU early in the product life cycle and you just have to wonder how they can possibly be so out of touch with reality. Must be nice to have so much money that you can afford to pay a 20% markup just for fun.

Only stuff I buy from TRU are their exclusives when on sale, or the polybags that they get and nobody else does.  Purchased some Barrel Escapes when they went on sale and the Mirkwood polybags have made me some money.  BOGO50 is decent depending on the set, but usually Amazon is still cheaper.  Otherwise, would never shop there.

There is definitely $ to be made shopping at TRU and flipping on eBay/Amazon. You just have to be smart about it and pay attention to sales/discounts - and clearance items, which can be 15-20% off of TLG retail prices at times - often at EOL after other retailers have sold out. At the same time, there have to be plenty of people out there who are paying out the nose to buy sets at TRU early in the product life cycle and you just have to wonder how they can possibly be so out of touch with reality. Must be nice to have so much money that you can afford to pay a 20% markup just for fun.

Welcome stoltzjI77

I'm a consumer/parent point of view, some people would be happy to pay that mark up because it's convenient to shop for a lot of toys in one location.  If a parent really wanted an one-stop shopping trip for and with their kid(s)...TRU is the place to go really.  Again if they are not sensitive to a higher price.  Not everybody wants to go through a Walmart/Target or online for a toy they want.