Is there an FAQ for shipping? Some Shipping Qs

bg2001

I wonder how they figure out the cost then.  I certainly didn't add any dimensions and some of the things I have sold can't be looked up like SDCC minifigs.  All good I just wonder how they calculate when the seller doesn't input anything.  For this item I am sure they can easily look it up since it's a retail SKU.  Not my problem but good to know it gets charged right when they pay.

I am pretty sure they simply average it by category. For example, for pre-weight/dimension book listings of mine, I've shipped everything from glorified pamphlets of 20 or so pages up to 8 pound tomes designed to break your foot if you drop them, all without telling eBay what weight or size they were.

But, my average package weight with 3000+ book packages on eBay alone last year was just under 2 pounds. eBay has a lot more data than 3000 packages at their disposal, so I'm sure they can average like nobody's business and err on the side of caution (for them, so they don't lose money).

I would expect at some point that weight/dimensions will become a requirement for using GSP. I'm kinda surprised they aren't already.

I wonder how they figure out the cost then.  I certainly didn't add any dimensions and some of the things I have sold can't be looked up like SDCC minifigs.  All good I just wonder how they calculate when the seller doesn't input anything.  For this item I am sure they can easily look it up since it's a retail SKU.  Not my problem but good to know it gets charged right when they pay.

So much for reading eBay's GSP page. :pardon:   If GSP works fine without inputing any dimensions and weight, I wonder how they could enforce the maximum dimensional weight = 66lbs.

Also, if the pricing for shipping is by SKU, how would the system determine if a listing contains 1 copy or 4 copies of the item ?  A single 41999 weighs about 7lbs, and 4 of them weigh close to 30lbs. Someone is going to eat the difference in international shipping cost, hopefully it is not you or your buyer.

This whole thing seems a little bit suspect to me.  I hope your packages go through without any hitch  :)

So much for reading eBay's GSP page. :pardon:   If GSP works fine without inputing any dimensions and weight, I wonder how they could enforce the maximum dimensional weight = 66lbs.

Also, if the pricing for shipping is by SKU, how would the system determine if a listing contains 1 copy or 4 copies of the item ?  A single 41999 weighs about 7lbs, and 4 of them weigh close to 30lbs. Someone is going to eat the difference in international shipping cost, hopefully it is not you or your buyer.

This whole thing seems a little bit suspect to me.  I hope your packages go through without any hitch  :)

The KY center will send back overweight/over dimensions packages that they don't like - it's happened to several sellers I know.

The KY center will send back overweight/over dimensions packages that they don't like - it's happened to several sellers I know.

I plan to ship my 4 crawlers out tomorrow afternoon and I will let everyone know how things go.  I need to find the right sized box that allows for good packing but isn't enormous.  Not entirely positive I can fit into the guidelines but at least I know them so I can measure and weigh everything before I ship it.  If I can't ship them securely and fit into the guidelines I will do 2 boxes and mark the crap out of them so they both end up in the right place hopefully.

Ok all so here is the update. This is a good lesson in overthinking something. I went to USPS because I had to ship something small and brought the box expecting to have to go to fedex but I thought I would at least ask them how much it would be. It was $56 priority mail with insurance so I was thrilled. I shipped it right there and all done. I used a box from my b-wing purchases that fit all 4 really well with room to spare for packing material.

Ok all so here is the update. This is a good lesson in overthinking something. I went to USPS because I had to ship something small and brought the box expecting to have to go to fedex but I thought I would at least ask them how much it would be. It was $56 priority mail with insurance so I was thrilled. I shipped it right there and all done. I used a box from my b-wing purchases that fit all 4 really well with room to spare for packing material.

Excellent, glad it all worked out!

In order to have free shipping to the US, but for international pay the shipping....Do I click the free shipping box, and then below also check the GSP? So it will be free for all US people, and for international people the kentucky part is free?

That's correct. eBay will charge international buyers what they need to at the time of sale, and you'll ship at your expense as far as Kentucky.

• Like 1