Cigarette smoke damage to LEGO or shipping materials

Eschdaddy

I know its everyone's right to smoke so please don't think I mean offense to anyone, but has anyone got a set from a smoker that was very bad smelling, and what did they do to freshen it up? Again, I mean no offense to anyone with this question, just tying to find some solutions. Also, can you do anything about the box and instructions? Thanks!

I know its everyone's right to smoke so please don't think I mean offense to anyone, but has anyone got a set from a smoker that was very bad smelling, and what did they do to freshen it up? Again, I mean no offense to anyone with this question, just tying to find some solutions. Also, can you do anything about the box and instructions?

Thanks!

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Eliminate-Smoke-Smell-from-Your-eBay-Purchases?ugid=10000000001669988

I don't know if it will work for LEGO pieces, but for books that I acquire that have either smoke or mildew smells to them I put them in a Ziploc bag and put them in the freezer for a day or two. I didn't see this suggestion on the list Ed provided. If you find a method that works well, please share!

OK, the Legos are clean, believe it or not, hot (and I mean hot, at least 100 degrees) soapy water, with a little vinegar did the trick. I cleaned them last night and still no off gassing this morning. As far as the books, I also washed them in hot soapy water and for some reason it didn't work. :o). OK, I put them in a back with arm and hammer and so far so good, but they are much more permeable, so I'm guessing they'll need a little extra time. Anyone else try similar with long term success? Now, how do you get powder off of pages easily? Or is this another topic? :o)

• Like 1

I don't know if it will work for LEGO pieces, but for books that I acquire that have either smoke or mildew smells to them I put them in a Ziploc bag and put them in the freezer for a day or two. I didn't see this suggestion on the list Ed provided.

If you find a method that works well, please share!

Ooh, I need to put them in the freezer, forgot that one, thanks!

• 7 months later...

I've received collectible items that reeked of cigarette smoke before.  I've tried to clean them the best I can and some of the smell usually goes away if they are out for display.

I recently purchased via EBay a set that I've wanted for a long time.  I thought I smelled a hint of smoke when I unboxed the item, but instantly talked myself out of the possibility that I might have received this item from a smoker.  I was very happy when I opened it, since the Lego box was pristine and it was supposed to be 100% complete and have all the original bags and instructions included with all the pieces.  When I opened  the Lego box tonight, I instantly smelled cigarette smoke damage on this item.  I opened one of the zip lock baggies that had some of the pieces in it and all of the pieces reek terribly.  I then smelled the inside of box and the odor is also very pungent.

I already know there is very little I can do to get the smell out of the cardboard the box is made of.  What can I do about the Lego pieces?  Have any of you every used a product or soaked the items with anything to get cigarette smoke smell out of them.  I've seen several topics on cleaning stains from Lego, but none for removing cigarette smoke smell.

I've contacted the seller and I have not left any feedback, yet.  Out of courtesy, I did contact the seller earlier in the week to let them know I was pleased with the packing/shipping they used when they sent it and I was also pleased with the condition of the Lego box.  I told them I would leave feedback after I built the set and verified all the pieces.

Thanks all...

The cardboard may be a lost cause, but try putting it outside (in a dry area) for a week or two. I have had some luck with books by exposing them to direct sunlight for several hours over several days (bringing them inside each night to keep them out of the moisture overnight).

For the pieces themselves, I got an absolutely reeking smoker's batch from eBay a couple years ago and washed them in soap and hot water and then spread them on a towel and left them outside (not in the sun) for literally a couple or three weeks. They are odor free to this day (they're amongst our personal bricks that we use for building stuff, so I see/smell/handle them pretty much daily and I have a sensitive nose).

You could try putting them through the washing machine.  I have done that a couple of times now on heavily dirty used bricks and they've come up nice.  Haven't had a smoky batch to try it on though.  I put the bricks inside a fabric laundry bag, you could probably do the same with a pillow case or something.

You could try putting them through the washing machine.  I have done that a couple of times now on heavily dirty used bricks and they've come up nice.  Haven't had a smoky batch to try it on though.  I put the bricks inside a fabric laundry bag, you could probably do the same with a pillow case or something.

Thats a really cool idea. I need to clean some this weekend so I might try that.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try something when I take this set apart.  I can't believe how bad it permeated into the skin on my hands while putting the set together.  I've washed my hands like 20 times tonight.  The last wash was real good with Dawn dish soap and the smell still isn't 100% gone.  It was only missing one piece that I luckily had a spare of in my loose bricks.  It's a little irritating, since it looks as though they tried to substitute it with a different brick that was obviously different.  Oh well, we'll see what they are going to do about it.

I'll take it apart and start soaking it and giving the bricks and box some sunlight throughout the next week or so.

I use a mild laundry detergent, get a plastic tub/bin/drawer/whatever, pour a cap's worth of solution in there, fill it with warm water (same temp you use for washing your own hands), put all the Lego parts in there, swirl em' around for a bit to mix it all up, then let them sit for a day or two at least (maybe more if you think they need it). Now get a strainer (try plastic cause metal can damage pieces if you're not careful) and pour them out into it allowing the water to drain while catching the parts. Let them dry and air out for a day or until done. They should smell better and be sanitized for your protection! :D

This isn't for cigarette smoke specifically but the process I use to clean any Lego brick typically gets rid of any kind of stale smells and filth. However, it does usually make the parts smell 'lavendery' instead for a while though. :lol:

• Like 1