7754 - Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser

mr_cotta

• 2 years later...

So i was just reading about the 2009 Fan choice competition where this set got made production after beating out Palpatines arrest (made 3 years later in 2012) and slave 1 and cloud city landing platform.  A bit off topic for this but "It was confirmed after the voting by Toys 'R' Us representatives that the "Slave I and Cloud City Landing Platform" came in a distant third, and was not implemented into the set".  One year later they made slave 1 but I'd have been stoked by a cloud city landing platform!
Honestly shocked to read that slave 1 came in a distant 3rd.  Although the fact 6209 had only recently gone EOL maybe made that less of a want.  Surprised TLG put that up for votes though and even when it didn't do too well and then released it a year later anyway.

To date does anyone know of a similar fan choice competition?  I'm assuming most people though this set was going to be a model of the ship which would have been EPIC!  I don't own this one but its actually on my list to get if i ever see a good enough deal.

Ok, last comments were from back in 2013 but for a set with so many unique figs i thought this one would have done better.  Not really too sure what was going on with the A-wing hanger but guess they had to do something other then the conference room.

So i was just reading about the 2009 Fan choice competition where this set got made production after beating out Palpatines arrest (made 3 years later in 2012) and slave 1 and cloud city landing platform.  A bit off topic for this but "It was confirmed after the voting by Toys 'R' Us representatives that the "Slave I and Cloud City Landing Platform" came in a distant third, and was not implemented into the set".  One year later they made slave 1 but I'd have been stoked by a cloud city landing platform!

Honestly shocked to read that slave 1 came in a distant 3rd.  Although the fact 6209 had only recently gone EOL maybe made that less of a want.  Surprised TLG put that up for votes though and even when it didn't do too well and then released it a year later anyway.

To date does anyone know of a similar fan choice competition?  I'm assuming most people though this set was going to be a model of the ship which would have been EPIC!  I don't own this one but its actually on my list to get if i ever see a good enough deal.

Ok, last comments were from back in 2013 but for a set with so many unique figs i thought this one would have done better.  Not really too sure what was going on with the A-wing hanger but guess they had to do something other then the conference room.

I always thought they lied...

• 1 year later...

I apologize if there is already a thread for this set but I couldn't find it when searching.

I have an opportunity to buy this set for less than retail, and plan on buying it, but I'd like to know some more about it. Looking at eBay sales I see it hasn't really appreciated in value at all, despite it being an older, "limited edition" set that recreates and iconic scene from the original trilogy. I just got back into lego a little less than 2 years ago, so I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me the story behind this sets underperformance?

11 minutes ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

I apologize if there is already a thread for this set but I couldn't find it when searching.

I have an opportunity to buy this set for less than retail, and plan on buying it, but I'd like to know some more about it. Looking at eBay sales I see it hasn't really appreciated in value at all, despite it being an older, "limited edition" set that recreates and iconic scene from the original trilogy. I just got back into lego a little less than 2 years ago, so I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me the story behind this sets underperformance?

It had a very very slow and arduous death at the TRU graveyard after many many many discount cycles.  Nobody cared then and nobody cares now.

• Like 2

I purchased 3-4 of these when I first started to buy for resale. Being a noob at the time, the Ackbar fig and "limited edition" tag reeled me in on a few. The only thing "limited" regarding this set was my patience. I sold them off at cost locally for cash a couple of years after retirement. There is nothing really special about this set.

7 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

It made people hesitant to buy 9526 Palpatines Arrest. It sat around for huge discounts and I've sold almost all of mine for 400% profit or more.

I consider that special.

That's an accurate observation. I didn't buy any Palp's Arrest, partly because it followed a similar path as Home One. TRU exclusive. Limited edition. Discounted heavily. Sat on the shelves for what seemed like forever. All of the same characteristics as Home One. It's crazy how some sets seem to appreciate very well after retirement when you'd never expect them to, and the sets that are pegged as winners absolutely bomb.

Edited by terrymc4677

It's quite interesting to read back about this set on page one, and read the first very enthusiastic comments in 2012, followed by the very negative comments in 2013. 

What really bothers me about this set is the huge discrepancy between the name of the set (Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser) and the actual set that you get, which is basically just two rooms and a mediocre A-Wing. If you hear about a LEGO set called "Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser", you expect something that looks at least a vaguely like this:

cbf4362f0ba5af4176ac6b49f3c0212b.jpg

But despite all that doom and gloom ... Now, some four years later in mid 2017, this set can be sold for a profit, especially if bought at 50% off RRP. 

Yes, it's pretty lousy CAGR, but it still beats leaving savings money dormant at the bank at 0.5% interest. ;) 

Which basically shows: as long as you're patient you can always recover your Lego investment. :P 

On 7/19/2017 at 8:25 AM, Haay said:

What really bothers me about this set is the huge discrepancy between the name of the set (Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser) and the actual set that you get, which is basically just two rooms and a mediocre A-Wing. 

In Dutch "Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser" actually means "Old Fishing Store" ;) 

• Haha 1