Opinions on Modular Investments

Rich B

Of the newer Modular themed sets (including the Haunted House), which set do you think will be the best investment for the furture? Town Hall, Pet Shop, or the Haunted House? Do you all think these modulars and the Haunted House will still do well after EOL later down the road, or have too many people already jumped on the band wagon and hoarded up on these newer sets after seeing what Cafe Corner, Market Street, and Green Grocer have done. My question to you is, which of the 3 listed sets do you think will do the best in the afermarket? Or will these sets even be worth investing in due to the fact that by the time they're EOL there will already be too many people hoarding them, and no room for profits.

Of the newer Modular themed sets (including the Haunted House), which set do you think will be the best investment for the furture? Town Hall, Pet Shop, or the Haunted House?

Do you all think these modulars and the Haunted House will still do well after EOL later down the road, or have too many people already jumped on the band wagon and hoarded up on these newer sets after seeing what Cafe Corner, Market Street, and Green Grocer have done. My question to you is, which of the 3 listed sets do you think will do the best in the afermarket? Or will these sets even be worth investing in due to the fact that by the time they're EOL there will already be too many people hoarding them, and no room for profits.

That's exactly my scare; I'm afraid people are hoarding them, but who knows. Im too much of a newb at this point, but I'd have to say the Haunted House looks the coolest.

Of the newer Modular themed sets (including the Haunted House), which set do you think will be the best investment for the furture? Town Hall, Pet Shop, or the Haunted House?

Do you all think these modulars and the Haunted House will still do well after EOL later down the road, or have too many people already jumped on the band wagon and hoarded up on these newer sets after seeing what Cafe Corner, Market Street, and Green Grocer have done. My question to you is, which of the 3 listed sets do you think will do the best in the afermarket? Or will these sets even be worth investing in due to the fact that by the time they're EOL there will already be too many people hoarding them, and no room for profits.

Good questions...I don't think you will see another Cafe Corner with any Modular, ever again. Just too many people know about them. But I do expect them to increase in value because as we all know, there are AFOLs who procrastinate or who are short on cash at the moment and will buy these sets after EOL.

The Haunted House is just a very cool set. One of my favorite LEGO sets. I think it will do very well, but then again, it depends on how long LEGO sells the set. Say they EOL it after XMAS, it might explode, but most likely, it will be around for a long time and the market could be flooded with them.

The Town Hall is just a grand set. Wow. Very impressive. My personal favorite Modular.

Pet Shop is a nice set, but really just a filler Modular IMO. Not in the class of the Haunted House or Town Hall.

Gun to my head...Haunted House is the pick.

On Facebook just now Ed says.....don't just buy one haunted house, buy five. So there ya go.

Yeah I saw that, still makes me nervous though. I bought 1 Haunted House already and built it, great set you won't be dissapointed. Also I have built all the Modulars that are still on the shelves, FB, GE, PS, and TH, but I havent purchased any as investments yet becuase I'm worried that too many people could be doing the same..........it's so hard to make an educated decision on this

Yeah I saw that, still makes me nervous though. I bought 1 Haunted House already and built it, great set you won't be dissapointed. Also I have built all the Modulars that are still on the shelves, FB, GE, PS, and TH, but I havent purchased any as investments yet becuase I'm worried that too many people could be doing the same..........it's so hard to make an educated decision on this

Here's the thing. Don't go right out and buy five. Buy one at full pop to have it. Then wait and see where the market goes. There will be deals. Wait for them.

You know, there will be other Cafe Corners in the future of LEGO investing, just not in the Modular theme. Think outside the box and think about what could explode because of uniqueness and what's hot in the world today.

Good questions...I don't think you will see another Cafe Corner with any Modular, ever again. Just too many people know about them. But I do expect them to increase in value because as we all know, there are AFOLs who procrastinate or who are short on cash at the moment and will buy these sets after EOL.

The Haunted House is just a very cool set. One of my favorite LEGO sets. I think it will do very well, but then again, it depends on how long LEGO sells the set. Say they EOL it after XMAS, it might explode, but most likely, it will be around for a long time and the market could be flooded with them.

The Town Hall is just a grand set. Wow. Very impressive. My personal favorite Modular.

Pet Shop is a nice set, but really just a filler Modular IMO. Not in the class of the Haunted House or Town Hall.

I wish they'd go EOL after XMAS, the demand and price would shoot right up, but with the way Lego has been lately (past couple years), some of these sets you'd swear are super glued to the shelves. Examples: Death Star, MMV, Fire Brigade, and Grand Emporium........Lego is killing the investors profits by leaving these sets around so long, I still and always will love Lego though. Anyhow thanks for your input Ed!!

I wish they'd go EOL after XMAS, the demand and price would shoot right up, but with the way Lego has been lately (past couple years), some of these sets you'd swear are super glued to the shelves. Examples: Death Star, MMV, Fire Brigade, and Grand Emporium........Lego is killing the investors profits by leaving these sets around so long, I still and always will love Lego though. Anyhow thanks for your input Ed!!

Maybe it's time to look at other themes for investment potential. There are over 500 LEGO sets released every year. There has to be some possible big gainers among them. Ninjago, Friends, City, various Technic and STAR WARS all have huge potential. The Holiday themed sets are some of the best money makers out there.

Maybe it's time to look at other themes for investment potential. There are over 500 LEGO sets released every year. There has to be some possible big gainers among them. Ninjago, Friends, City, various Technic and STAR WARS all have huge potential. The Holiday themed sets are some of the best money makers out there.

Yep, it may finally be time for me to start looking into Ninjago and Friends :)

That's exactly my scare; I'm afraid people are hoarding them, but who knows. Im too much of a newb at this point, but I'd have to say the Haunted House looks the coolest.

I just have a few random thoughts regarding the worries about people hoarding sets such as the modulars.

1) Keep in mind that just because many people are buying extra sets and keeping them sealed for the future, there's many different kinds of investors. Some saving them for their kids/grand kids, some saving them for X number of years until they retire, others holding them until they can make a certain percent return on them, and so on.

2) Even with popular sets like Green Grocer that people knew would be a great return at some point, there's a limit to how many sets people can purchase at the $120-150 range AND afford to sit on them for a while. That can be quite a sum to have tied up for a period of time before seeing any return to reinvest.

3) Even when a set gets retired and the selling prices rise quickly, there could be a short term market flood. But if you can be patient, the first wave gets consumed while collectors who missed that set are buying it before the price really takes off so they can have on and actually assemble it. So there might be a 20-30% increase within 30 days of being retired, or even 50% increase after 4-6 months; some people sell and reinvest while others sit and wait. Then the number of Ebay listings dwindle and the set might have a consistent 3-5% increase per month for a while due to other factors--supply, Xmas, tax return season, etc.

The above points can give you an idea how the perception of hoarding might not affect things as drastically as you might think. If you can be patient (and sometimes you have to be VERY patient) you can probably do very well. Have a plan, know when to sell (future topic anyone?) and stick to it. Let Lego pay for Lego :)

Just view Lego investing as long term. Yes, there can be ways of making the investments short term and that can work, but it's usually better to think down the road. A set you buy now and sell in say, 2014, could enable you to turn one modular into 3, or one Kingdoms castle into two future $99 MSRP sets and so on, thus expanding your portfolio.

To answer the original question, though, I'd say:

1) Haunted House - it would be amazing if it were a seasonal item that was retired Dec 31. But who knows?

2) Town Hall - seems more iconic to a modular town than a pet shop

3) Pet Shop - still worthy of getting, especially if more focus and money was spent on other modular buildings, thus actually resulting in a shortage.

Sorry for the post length!

I just have a few random thoughts regarding the worries about people hoarding sets such as the modulars.

1) Keep in mind that just because many people are buying extra sets and keeping them sealed for the future, there's many different kinds of investors. Some saving them for their kids/grand kids, some saving them for X number of years until they retire, others holding them until they can make a certain percent return on them, and so on.

2) Even with popular sets like Green Grocer that people knew would be a great return at some point, there's a limit to how many sets people can purchase at the $120-150 range AND afford to sit on them for a while. That can be quite a sum to have tied up for a period of time before seeing any return to reinvest.

3) Even when a set gets retired and the selling prices rise quickly, there could be a short term market flood. But if you can be patient, the first wave gets consumed while collectors who missed that set are buying it before the price really takes off so they can have on and actually assemble it. So there might be a 20-30% increase within 30 days of being retired, or even 50% increase after 4-6 months; some people sell and reinvest while others sit and wait. Then the number of Ebay listings dwindle and the set might have a consistent 3-5% increase per month for a while due to other factors--supply, Xmas, tax return season, etc.

The above points can give you an idea how the perception of hoarding might not affect things as drastically as you might think. If you can be patient (and sometimes you have to be VERY patient) you can probably do very well. Have a plan, know when to sell (future topic anyone?) and stick to it. Let Lego pay for Lego :)

Just view Lego investing as long term. Yes, there can be ways of making the investments short term and that can work, but it's usually better to think down the road. A set you buy now and sell in say, 2014, could enable you to turn one modular into 3, or one Kingdoms castle into two future $99 MSRP sets and so on, thus expanding your portfolio.

1) Haunted House - it would be amazing if it were a seasonal item that was retired Dec 31. But who knows?

3) Pet Shop - still worthy of getting, especially if more focus and money was spent on other modular buildings, thus actually resulting in a shortage.

Good post and all great points to consider! And I'm right there with you on the Haunted House retiring that early, how awesome would that be? Chances are slim to non though

Don't be sorry about the post length! I like the ideas we get from everyone, it evolves the conversation and allows people to look at different viewpoints. Awesome post.

Excellent points. Patience is the key to any sort of investing. A LEGO investor might get lucky and be able to flip some sets after 6 months or a year and make some money quick, but the vast majority of sets will take time to appreciate to values where it makes sense to sell.

The main issue with LEGO investing over the long haul is storage. This is another reason why people won't have 20 of each Modular...they just don't have the space. You will have to resort to techniques that Mos Eisley talked about in his article about LEGO storage. LEGO boxes, especially large sets like Modulars, take up a ton of space to store properly.

Also, as you stated, money is always a factor. A lot of people just don't have $600-$700 to buy 4 or 5 Modulars. Money is very tight right now and I imagine that is why people are interested in LEGO investing, to make money. But it takes money to make money in most instances and while people think there are millions of investors out there, there really is not.

LEGO investing is a grind. It takes time, patience and choosing the right sets to make a buck. Thanks for your informative post. I always appreciate long posts. Great content! We are always looking for great articles for the site. ;-)