Wal Mart App...

terrymc4677

My wife and I just dropped off the kids for their first day at school and now we have some free time. We want to get new phones. We are not tech geeks and know very little about all of the new gadgets and gizmos now available. We have had our current phones for at least three years now, maybe longer.

I want a new smart phone that will enable me to surf the web, send/receive text msg, and most importantly, use that really cool Walmart app that a lot of members use to check store inventories, get specific prices by store, and to scan items.

Can somebody who has and uses this app please point us in the right direction as to what to ask for when we go to the AT&T store later. I am under the impression that it only works with certain phones/devices. also, we are not looking at spending an arm and a leg on upgrading, and don't need any other features other than the ones mentioned above.Thank you in advance fellow pickers.

I have a samsung galaxy s3. It is awesome and the s4 is already out, so you might be able to get it cheap. From my understanding the Walmart App works better on Androids then it does on Iphones. But you might want someone with an Iphone to verify. For me...I can scan any set that I have, then the Walmart APP will show the "online" price. I can then check store locations and it will show local stores that have it in stock and what they are selling if for. Found some Unexpected Gatherings for $25 using this.

• Like 1

My wife and I just dropped off the kids for their first day at school and now we have some free time. We want to get new phones. We are not tech geeks and know very little about all of the new gadgets and gizmos now available. We have had our current phones for at least three years now, maybe longer.

I want a new smart phone that will enable me to surf the web, send/receive text msg, and most importantly, use that really cool Walmart app that a lot of members use to check store inventories, get specific prices by store, and to scan items.

Can somebody who has and uses this app please point us in the right direction as to what to ask for when we go to the AT&T store later. I am under the impression that it only works with certain phones/devices. also, we are not looking at spending an arm and a leg on upgrading, and don't need any other features other than the ones mentioned above.Thank you in advance fellow pickers.

What are you looking to spend as an upgrade fee?

If you are not a tech person, I suggest the Iphone. I am not an Apple person at all - I hate mac with a passion - but the Iphone is just it when it comes to stability, hardware, longevity, etc. Apple has excellent support and their App store is incredibly better than Android in many respects. Andriod has many more APPs, but they are not screened like Apple's apps and it takes a long time often to even figure out what will work well for the APP you want.

The Galaxsy S3 and S4 are cool, but they just still don't hold up to Apple in terms of ease of use, operating system smoothness, and hardware stability. After a while, Android phones including these can become slow and randomly updates can just stop for your phone at any point in time. Apple supports their stuff forever and it lasts forever.

This is not just my opinion -  I used to work in a Cell Phone store and talked to hundreds of customers. If you want features and the most Apps possible, Galaxsy S is a good way to go. If you are looking for ease of use, stability, and support -buy an iphone. Plus in two years when you upgrade again, your phone will be worth about 65% of what you paid for it. Samsung phones don't quite keep up with that.

The HTC one and moto x are the best phones to get.  Samsung phones are fine but they are also full of alot of junk and gimmicks which make them a slower.  I also dont' think iphone anymore is any easier or stable than android phones.

Thats a good point - samsungs do come with a lot of crapware.

Apple phones are definitely more stable - the filesystem is considerably better built than Android - crap doesn't stick around near as bad like on Android and like with Windows. They don't crash as much and apple is a lot better about updates and fixing critical issues faster.

Ease of use is always an opinion, but most people want to surf the web, talk, text, and get apps right? talk is about the same, Web as well depending on what you like (Safari is great mobile, crap for a desktop browser), with text - imessage is awesome because it uses wifi and not actual texts and is a little easier to keep up with although there are good Android apps that compete.

App store is the big difference though. For every good Android app, there are 20 ones that are absolute trash. that is something you don't have int he Apple App store.

Thats a good point - samsungs do come with a lot of crapware.

Apple phones are definitely more stable - the filesystem is considerably better built than Android - crap doesn't stick around near as bad like on Android and like with Windows. They don't crash as much and apple is a lot better about updates and fixing critical issues faster.

Ease of use is always an opinion, but most people want to surf the web, talk, text, and get apps right? talk is about the same, Web as well depending on what you like (Safari is great mobile, crap for a desktop browser), with text - imessage is awesome because it uses wifi and not actual texts and is a little easier to keep up with although there are good Android apps that compete.

App store is the big difference though. For every good Android app, there are 20 ones that are absolute trash. that is something you don't have int he Apple App store.

I couldn't disagree more.  Your information may of been true 2-3  years ago.  But what you are saying is no longer true.  Android apps crash less and they android pretty much is equal on apps , build quality and ease of use.  With android you get more for your money.   You also get  a larger screen with a more open and flexible system for a cheaper price.  Google default apps and services are a lot better than iphones.  For example htc one has the best hardware of any phone.  The moto x you get an almost iphone size phone with much larger display.  If you are looking for something a little cheaper i would go with the htc one mini.  Iphone is a fine phone but compared to the better android phones you get less for more money.

I appreciate the input guys, but sure don't want this to turn into a heated debate. I guess the main thing I was looking to have answered is what device will support the walmart app that a few of us have been using? if I upgrade and my new toy doesn't support that app I will be one unhappy camper and may as well just keep using the relic that I have been for the past three years.

I couldn't disagree more.  Your information may of been true 2-3  years ago.  But what you are saying is no longer true.  Android apps crash less and they android pretty much is equal on apps , build quality and ease of use.  With android you get more for your money.   You also get  a larger screen with a more open and flexible system for a cheaper price.  Google default apps and services are a lot better than iphones.  For example htc one has the best hardware of any phone.  The moto x you get an almost iphone size phone with much larger display.  If you are looking for something a little cheaper i would go with the htc one mini.  Iphone is a fine phone but compared to the better android phones you get less for more money.

You are welcome to disagree - its rooted in information now though. I have plenty of friends with the phones - mine always works way better and crashes much less - it does have to do with what Apps you are using though because as I said there is a zero screening policy with Android which becomes a problem most of the time.

The Apple filesystem has really not changed from two years ago, so its not less stable. Andriod has gotten better, but it still has some issues with uninstalling and reinstalling and crap data - causing the slowness I was talking about.

Display is really a completely subjective thing. I hate them giant displays on most phones - The iphone display on the 5 is big enough for watching videos and everything else and the phone fits the hand much better than other phones - the galaxies and a lot of the HTC phones are a little bit awkward feeling and easier to drop because of it.

As far as flexible system, you are correct, but if you don't know what to do with it that is a double-edged sword. I would venture to say about half of teh identity data stolen from people comes from downloading bad phone apps that mine data.

Honestly the best thing for flexibility is an iphone that is jailbroken. I do anything and everything with it and its still secure and works properly.

I appreciate the input guys, but sure don't want this to turn into a heated debate. I guess the main thing I was looking to have answered is what device will support the walmart app that a few of us have been using? if I upgrade and my new toy doesn't support that app I will be one unhappy camper and may as well just keep using the relic that I have been for the past three years.

I know its supported on the Iphone and the Galazy S - most likely any new Android phone will support it.

Yea the short answer is any android phone or iphone should work well with the app.  Windows phone i couldn't answer on, I do know it has a lot less apps but I don't know if it does or doesn't have the same walmart app.  The top androids at 199 on contract would be the htc one or the moto x.  At $99 the htc one mini probably.  

I think we are off in the weeds so ill keep it brief.  Multiple independent studies say ios apps crash more (do a search for
android ios crash more).  Android is more open and flexible out of the box or rooted/jailbroken.  A jailbroken iphone and a rooted android are just as susceptible to security issues.  Android doesn't only come in large sizes, the moto x is slightly bigger than the iphone 5 yet has 30% larger screen.  I don't see how it is awkward or easier to drop.  The choice between all of them including iphone comes down to personal preference.   

I think we are off in the weeds so ill keep it brief.  Multiple independent studies say ios apps crash more (do a search for

android ios crash more).  Android is more open and flexible out of the box or rooted/jailbroken.  A jailbroken iphone and a rooted android are just as susceptible to security issues.  Android doesn't only come in large sizes, the moto x is slightly bigger than the iphone 5 yet has 30% larger screen.  I don't see how it is awkward or easier to drop.  The choice between all of them including iphone comes down to personal preference.   

Those studies are crap shoots - there is no way to quantify it with the data they get. Plus there are plenty that say the opposite.

The iphone 4 recently tested out to be faster a more efficient with a dual core processor than the Samsung Galaxy S4 by a major tech company. Those tests just don't mean much - they are all rooted in bias and have no way to completely quantify things.

whatever you choose - just don't look at the windows phones.  I imagine now after Microsoft bought Nokia they will try to push it.  They have NOTHING.  They will never catch up with Android and Iphones, no matter what the sales rep will tell you. 

For me:

I don't want any kind of zune-shmoone-itunes junk to be able to connect my phone to my comp.  Itunes is the software (100% sure) which 'caused bsod on my comp (had to use it with iPod - never again).   I didn't realize how important (and how annoying) this "sync soft" issue was for me till I had to use it.  So both iTunes and Zune are a big no for me.  Hope they will not come up with similar stuff for Android. 

Now you just connect and use it just like a flash card, or did they change it already guys?

I agree with Ronda on the windows phones. Microsoft kills most things they touch, Nokia will be no different. When I realize that Windows 8 is an even more horrifying product than Vista, you just gotta wonder what their developers are smoking.

I love my iPhone which goes with my iPad and my iPod and my iLife (okay, only my devices, we still use Windows machines because they're cheap.) I have heard equally good things about Android.

• 2 months later...

We ended up getting a couple of iPhone 5's a couple of weeks ago, and i just started to play around with the app. It's pretty slick. You know what would be nice? If someone who is well versed with this app and it's usage when it comes to tracking down lego deals and clearances by specific stores would write a blog or tutorial! Anyone? Anyone?