Minecraft - general discussion

TheOrcKing

Don't fear the creeper.  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your most favorite Minecraft micro world?

• 21102 - The Forest
    • 21105 - The Village
    • 21106 - The Nether
    • 21107 - The End
  2. 2. Which is your least favorite Minecraft micro world?

• 21102 - The Forest
    • 21105 - The Village
    • 21106 - The Nether
    • 21107 - The End

I really liked the first two CUUSOO sets, especially the Shinkai 6500 Sub. The Hayabusa and Shinkai Sub are excellent display sets and are great conversation pieces for offices or studies. The Minecraft set is also a very interesting set, but most people wonder what the hell it is. As for investments, they are all winners in my book.

I wasn't aware that the Shinkai 6500 Sub even existed! I just looked at the current trends of the set, and it has increased by about 160%! I am not sure that 21102 Minecraft will be the same, mainly because it is so widely owned. the Hayabusa will probably do well on the secondary market in a couple years though! Can't wait to get one for a decent price!

I wasn't aware that the Shinkai 6500 Sub even existed! I just looked at the current trends of the set, and it has increased by about 160%! I am not sure that 21102 Minecraft will be the same, mainly because it is so widely owned. the Hayabusa will probably do well on the secondary market in a couple years though! Can't wait to get one for a decent price!

It was only released in Japan. You have to buy through eBay to find one.

• 3 weeks later...

It was only released in Japan. You have to buy through eBay to find one.

I don't think that's completely true. They have them at the Lego store in the Mall of America. I saw them there when I last visited. My guess is they are in other Lego stores around the country, even if they aren't available in the regular retail channels.

Guest idunno101

It was only released in Japan. You have to buy through eBay to find one. That would explain it....

Why only in Japan? Its not like Americans or Canadians or Europeans wouldn't buy it.

Then again, it is a Japanese Sub...

The model was released because of CUUSOO which is based in Japan so I guess the first model they gave to their country. Also only 10,000 were made so if any of you picked it up you got a win there.

There isn't much to the set, the game is still seemingly hot property, people keep shelling out for it and the secondary market is very hot for it.

They would be crazy not to.

Definately. A little set mainly comprised of the smallest basic parts. It has to be the easiest set for them to produce ever, and just keeps selling out in record time. In regards to our market, if they just keep making more, will that not devalue the investment potential of it eventually?

(I know LEGO doesn't care about that, I'm just pondering.)

Definately. A little set mainly comprised of the smallest basic parts. It has to be the easiest set for them to produce ever, and just keeps selling out in record time. In regards to our market, if they just keep making more, will that not devalue the investment potential of it eventually?

(I know LEGO doesn't care about that, I'm just pondering.)

If Lego is meeting the current demand then the secondary market becomes irrelevant. However they don't seem to be making large enough batches to keep up so I would still say investing for a quick turn around is a good option at this point (selling during the holidays). Hard To say what the long term investment in this set will be.

If Lego is meeting the current demand then the secondary market becomes irrelevant. However they don't seem to be making large enough batches to keep up so I would still say investing for a quick turn around is a good option at this point (selling during the holidays). Hard To say what the long term investment in this set will be.

That does bring up an interesting idea. Even if the market seems to get flooded with the set and yet consumers STILL want more of it, this "Minecraft" could end up being a mini "Live Star". That is probably a stretch but you get my point.

It depends how long the game retains it's popularity.

Well, if a fat plumber by the name of Mario can still be popular despite being 32 years old, then who can say just how long Minecraft will still be played in the future? Heck, I still play games from the SNES or Genesis every now & then just cause they're fun. So who knows.

But what you say is true. The worth of the set itself lies in the popularity of the property it is based on.

The set still sells out instantly whenever it "goes live" on the major retailers websites. Seems to me the big run up in price before Christmas was based on projections that TLG wasn't going to be producing any more and that the initial run of a few thousand was all that there were ever going to be. When Lego blew that theory to pieces by immediately cranking up production the price on eBay cratered, but is the continuing demand genuine or is it all going to hoarders hoping to cash in at a later date? I'd be willing to bet that at some point Lego retires this set, maybe even relatively soon, and we again see prices soar as the flood gates open for real with everyone who didn't get one jostling to the front of the line trying desperately to get their hands on a set before prices spiral out of reach. I wouldn't mind getting a few, as long as I didn't pay more than retail. You probably won't lose money, and you may find yourself in possession of a very desirable Lego set down the road. Definitely don't flip it for less than $5 total profit like people are doing right now though, that's just stupid and benefits nobody but eBay.

Well, if a fat plumber by the name of Mario can still be popular despite being 32 years old, then who can say just how long Minecraft will still be played in the future? Heck, I still play games from the SNES or Genesis every now & then just cause they're fun. So who knows.

But what you say is true. The worth of the set itself lies in the popularity of the property it is based on.

Of course, but there is a difference between playing those reliving your childhood (or the sheer joy of unleashing again on Goldeneye 64) and shelling out big $$$$$ on a simple little discontinued Lego set with basic parts. Of course some people are willing to do it. It all depends on who is buying all these sets. Are there investors buying them from resellers as investment? Are people paying whatever for them just to keep their kids happy? People just putting them aside hoping for a limited run?

Mario and Sonic were also synonimous for Nintendo and Sega, not just a game themselves.

Personally I think this will flame out. Plenty of money to be made on it though, and to think it is selling for twice RRP from resellers is crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

Being the original minecraft lego set was such a huge success, do you think lego would create a theme? or is minecraft a thing of the past? Also now that the original set is now in stock for 34.99 do you think these will still be investment winners in the future?