So what are people buying to get their Mini VWs?

CNH1974

I have sold 2 for $17 a piece (free shipping) so I made about $14 each after fees and everything.

That's not bad.

So the value equation would be something like this:

bp_1378698273__vwdiscount.jpg

So people need to weigh up whether the set/s they are getting could be obtained for better discounts at other stores or in the future.

Obviously as the price changes for the VW mini, so does the equation.  Also if you get the Clone Trooper polybag as well that makes it a better deal.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not bad.

So the value equation would be something like this:

bp_1378698273__vwdiscount.jpg

So people need to weigh up whether the set/s they are getting could be obtained for better discounts at other stores or in the future.

Obviously as the price changes for the VW mini, so does the equation.  Also if you get the Clone Trooper polybag as well that makes it a better deal.

That's what I do, I usually sell the "extras" straight away and use that as a discount on the purchase. I got

But I would not include the 5% VIP points off the current order because it is always deferred until you have enough to use.

You defer using the points until a future order but they are earned in the current order and people make buying decisions based off how many points they receive in a transaction.  From an accounting perspective they become a current asset at time of purchase when earned so I like to factor them in at that time.

You defer using the points until a future order but they are earned in the current order and people make buying decisions based off how many points they receive in a transaction.  From an accounting perspective they become a current asset at time of purchase when earned so I like to factor them in at that time.

But does that not assume you will always have VIP points to spend? And it will not be 5% of the order you are currently placing.

I think I'll get 16 series 11 minifigures and add whatever is missing in order to reach the 55

But does that not assume you will always have VIP points to spend? And it will not be 5% of the order you are currently placing.

You're getting a discount equal to 5% of your purchase. So whether you use it immediately or in 6 months, it's still worth 5% of your current purchase.

Went to the cincinatti store today. Ordered a hoth set (for the same reason: amazon and target will never habe it and the snowspeeder is cool) and bought some pickabrick cups of palm leaves and stuff. The sw total was 49.99 from LEGO Shop at Home (since the store didnt have it in stock and she had to manually enter points too) and it would not give me a clone fig from the LEGO Shop at Home store due to 1cent below (wtf?) so the girl st the store gave me one out of her pilr. Makes sense. Got the vw mini. Hope to sell sell the vw to recover cost of gas. My boy tore open th clone and enjoyed it right away.

All in all a good day. Wish the legostore had more discounts on par w tarhet/amazon though.

Yes I get it over time, but I don't see it that way for individual purchases. So ignoring currencies. You buy something for 100 and do not use points, do you enter it as 100 or 95 in your Brick Portfolio?

Anyway onto today's question. I am having trouble finding an Exclusive set for under

If you earn a discount credit on one set and apply it to another, are you really looking at them each individually...?

From an information gathering / true ROI perspective you are not getting an accurate picture of your purchases, but if you like it and it works for you keep on keeping on. I like the various opinions and different ways people invest an truly believe there is not one best way, but when it comes to accounting practices there are general standards. Arbitrary allotment of credit ("willy nilly") isn't one of them :)

First order, got a Starhopper and an Anakin's Jedi Interceptor - both will be parted/minifig'd out - along with a Halloween accessory set, to get clone trooper and mini VW.

Second order, stocked up on Power Functions - these always seem to be out of stock, are exclusive, and sell well on Amazon and Bricklink. And if they don't sell, I've got PF stuff to play with. So that's the 2nd mini VW.

For 3rd order, I'm considering going big and getting the two sets that net extra VIP points - new King's Castle and Dragon Mountain. Extra 100 VIP points plus mini VW and both are cool looking sets. I have no idea how they'll do in the resale market - my gut says that the LOTR/Hobbit theme is driving down the ROI on castle in general - but if nothing else, I've got nearly every other castle from the past 30 years (missing 3 of them, I think) so if it does poorly, I'll just give it to my kids.

Otherwise I'll probably get another couple of Jedi Interceptors. I've done very well parting them out on the three I've gotten up to this point.

Waiting for October to get Ewok Village with the double VIP points. . .that one will be for me and the kids, though, not an investment in the purest sense. ;)

If you earn a discount credit on one set and apply it to another, are you really looking at them each individually...?

From an information gathering / true ROI perspective you are not getting an accurate picture of your purchases, but if you like it and it works for you keep on keeping on. I like the various opinions and different ways people invest an truly believe there is not one best way, but when it comes to accounting practices there are general standards. Arbitrary allotment of credit ("willy nilly") isn't one of them :)

Well that is a slight nicer way of putting it other than saying someone is talking rubbish :)

I have everything entered into a spreadsheet showing the price paid and the current BP pricing etc... this shows the ROI for each of them. These are then totalled to show totalled expenditure and profits. I am at a paper ROI of 4% at the moment (having never sold anything).

Also thinking about I may not use the points earned on investment sets to buy investment sets. Those PAB tubs I got for

First order, got a Starhopper and an Anakin's Jedi Interceptor - both will be parted/minifig'd out - along with a Halloween accessory set, to get clone trooper and mini VW.

Second order, stocked up on Power Functions - these always seem to be out of stock, are exclusive, and sell well on Amazon and Bricklink. And if they don't sell, I've got PF stuff to play with. So that's the 2nd mini VW.

For 3rd order, I'm considering going big and getting the two sets that net extra VIP points - new King's Castle and Dragon Mountain. Extra 100 VIP points plus mini VW and both are cool looking sets. I have no idea how they'll do in the resale market - my gut says that the LOTR/Hobbit theme is driving down the ROI on castle in general - but if nothing else, I've got nearly every other castle from the past 30 years (missing 3 of them, I think) so if it does poorly, I'll just give it to my kids.

Otherwise I'll probably get another couple of Jedi Interceptors. I've done very well parting them out on the three I've gotten up to this point.

Waiting for October to get Ewok Village with the double VIP points. . .that one will be for me and the kids, though, not an investment in the purest sense. ;)

This seems to be an interesting list.

Is it profitable to part out the 850487 Halloween set? A quick check of Ebay UK, shows that people have Buy It Now of

Halloween set isn't for parting out, sorry for the confusion. That is to flip on eBay or Amazon.

Power functions - 8293-1 (kit, seems to be sold out every other month or so, sells for $45 on Amazon). 8879-1, 8881-1, 8884-1, 8885-1 all are pretty easy to flip for a 10-15% profit on Amazon or Bricklink.

Some people seem to be parting out the set, the only auction I could see turned out to be USA based. I am wondering if this set will be more popular in the USA. Rather than the UK.

I'll keep a eye out for the others when is next visit the store, thanks for the heads up. :)

Some people seem to be parting out the set, the only auction I could see turned out to be USA based. I am wondering if this set will be more popular in the USA. Rather than the UK.

I'll keep a eye out for the others when is next visit the store, thanks for the heads up. :)

Halloween is massive in the US. Most Western cultures enjoy Halloween but the US love it. It may be second only to Christmas in popularity. All things relating to spooky characters go done a treat (no pun intended). I think the VC and HH were very much released because of the US's passion for Holiday themes that engage the kids. So yes the set will always be more popular in the US but it will still do well in the UK, particularly when it goes EOL. It fits perfectly with the MF line. When that happens loads of people will be saying "how come I didn't even know about this set"