What's up with Spiderman Lego?

fendiixx

So i'm relatively new here but quite a serious lego investor. So far i've seen very little discussion/interest in the Spiderman line which surprises me as he is one of the most iconic superheroes ever. All the new sets have good mini figures too (Doc ock/Venom/Nick Fury) to name a few. I've gotten most of the original line when I was a kid for building purposes and liked it, but my mates don't think it's a good line to invest it. Whats everyone's thoughts on here?

I think most of the sets aren't bad - they will probably see moderate gains. But I think Lego missed the best craze period which would have been 5+ years ago when the original 2 came out (before the 3rd one that killed the franchise). I think this would have really helped the sets. 

The Dr. Ock laboratory is the set I think will do the best.

The inclusion of Venom in 76004 will carry that set.  It doesn't hurt that it also features an exclusive Nick Fury.  The Avengers are going

to be in our faces for years to come, so that Nick Fury out to do well enough.  The standard Spider-Man from that set is pretty widely

produced, but even now it fetches $7-$8 on eBay on a regular basis.

76005 Daily Bugle Showdown HAS to do well after retirement.  Aside from 4 cool exclusive minifigs, that set has a lot of great parts.

Besides...Dr. Doom!  Enough said there. 

Not sure why people don't talk more about Spider-Man, but I think it will be a strong enough theme that you will want to invest in it,

at least to some degree.  I have.  :)

The inclusion of Venom in 76004 will carry that set.  It doesn't hurt that it also features an exclusive Nick Fury.  The Avengers are going

to be in our faces for years to come, so that Nick Fury out to do well enough.  The standard Spider-Man from that set is pretty widely

produced, but even now it fetches $7-$8 on eBay on a regular basis.

76005 Daily Bugle Showdown HAS to do well after retirement.  Aside from 4 cool exclusive minifigs, that set has a lot of great parts.

Besides...Dr. Doom!  Enough said there. 

Not sure why people don't talk more about Spider-Man, but I think it will be a strong enough theme that you will want to invest in it,

at least to some degree.  I have.  :)

Do you think that people might be potentially overlooking these sets therefore making them harder to get/higher prices once they get retired?

So i'm relatively new here but quite a serious lego investor. So far i've seen very little discussion/interest in the Spiderman line which surprises me as he is one of the most iconic superheroes ever. All the new sets have good mini figures too (Doc ock/Venom/Nick Fury) to name a few. I've gotten most of the original line when I was a kid for building purposes and liked it, but my mates don't think it's a good line to invest it. Whats everyone's thoughts on here?

I was pondering about that a few days ago. I suppose with only three Spider-Man sets currently available, there isn't a whole lot to talk about and we already covered the essentials before. As you said, Spider-Man is one of the most iconic and easy recognizable comicbook superheroes. He doesn't need another film in the works to stay popular (although it does help).

Doc Ock Ambush is a all-around nice Walmart exclusive playset featuring two unique minifigures, Spider-Cycle Chase really should be called "Venom Strikes" cause he steals the show there, and Daily Bugle Showdown is all about the minifigures with Dr. Doom being the main highlight of course. Going by selection of characters alone, Daily Bugle Showdown would be top dog. Then again, not many can compete with Venom aside from Dr. Doom. I feel like Doc Ock Ambush will either end up a very close second with Spider-Cycle Chase or in last place but barely so.

For me, Marvel has run into the stigma of the multi ver's. One load stick to marvel ultimates, one amazing spidey, one peter parker. Unlike DC who have at least tryed to deal with more than one earth(crisis, 52 etc). The Marvel sets are a massive mix of timelines/movies(civil war never fixed anything). Plus the spiderman figure(SORRY) looks $%**

• 1 month later...
Guest eightbrick

Walmarts got the Doc Ocks Ambush rolled back to 23 and change. Time to pounce????

Sounds like a decent deal. If you aren't too hopeful for clearance in your area it might be a good idea.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

For me, Marvel has run into the stigma of the multi ver's. One load stick to marvel ultimates, one amazing spidey, one peter parker. Unlike DC who have at least tryed to deal with more than one earth(crisis, 52 etc). The Marvel sets are a massive mix of timelines/movies(civil war never fixed anything). Plus the spiderman figure(SORRY) looks $%**

Walmarts got the Doc Ocks Ambush rolled back to 23 and change. Time to pounce????

Sounds like a decent deal. If you aren't too hopeful for clearance in your area it might be a good idea.

Walmart rarely discounts their exclusives at all (or most sets even) and when they do it typically isn't much. I'd take the $23; it's better than nothing.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

last BIN on on ebay had ironfist $8.99 spidey $7.19 and doc $14.99 that would cover all cost and fees and you u have the set for free.  It's not a great set but the idea of filling my bins with free bricks is appealing.  I've been thinking of switching to this route for the next two years and se what kind of horde can be gathered.

• 10 years later...