Pinball

TheOrcKing

If you're a Pinhead like me then you know how much of a comeback the pinball industry has been doing in the last few years. Between Stern, who has been around since the beginning still coming up with new tables, to newcomers Jersey Jack Pinball here in the states and Heighway Pinball based in the UK.

Anyway, the point I'm getting to is Jersey Jack Pinball is designing their next (second) pinball machine on (wait for it....) The Hobbit! I figured since Stern did The Lord of the Rings pinball then they would have gotten the rights to do this too but I guess Jersey Jack managed to snag those especially after wowing everyone with their much long awaited The Wizard of Oz pinball. They already have a playfield drawn out and making progress to the eventual whitewood stage of testing.

Here is a video promo teasor for The Hobbit pinball.

A couple of teaser advertisements showcasing what the machine itself may look like.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The current playfield layout still subject to some changes.

14a.jpg

As you can see from the side cabinet artwork, the game, ruleset, and LCD backglass animations will be based on all three Hobbit films much in the same manner as Stern's The Lord of the Rings pinball was.

Here is the original website I follow for all pinball related tidbits. Pinball News

Also, there is a documentary in the works about the phenomena of pinball returning. Shoot Again: The Resurgence of Pinball in America

This is one of the things in my dream list - When I eventually hopefully buy a stupid big house, I want a pinball machine. So awesome and so much fun.

I've always had the same dream too. A BIG house just so I have plenty of room to stuff it with Lego and pinball machines! Hell, maybe even pinball machines in Lego!

Speaking of this, I assume you have seen the movie Tommy? The Who album obviously. Just tremendous. An absolutely work of art.

"Tommy, can you hear me?" :D Love the movie but never seen the actual Broadway musical though.

The Data East pinball based on The Who's Tommy released in 1994 was pretty fun. ;)

2579f1.jpg

image-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdm4-VmjS4s

Very cool. I'm a pinball collector as suggested by my handle here. Its crazy how popular pinball has gotten over the last 3 years. I still regret selling off some of my more desirable pins like attack from mars and monster bash. Now i cant touch a nice example of one for anything under $10k! its okay, since im having fun with all the newer sterns...I will more than likely be preordering this one as well!

Very cool. I'm a pinball collector as suggested by my handle here. Its crazy how popular pinball has gotten over the last 3 years. I still regret selling off some of my more desirable pins like attack from mars and monster bash. Now i cant touch a nice example of one for anything under $10k! its okay, since im having fun with all the newer sterns...I will more than likely be preordering this one as well!

I'm particularly found of Attack from Mars and Monster Bash. Both were fun themes and great tables. I know what you mean about how you can't even touch a decent table let alone a retouched one without spending a hefty amount but they are worth it. (Now if only I had the cash to burn. :P) Speaking of Stern, their next table is based on the newest Star Trek films directed by J.J. Abrams with the table designed by legendary Steve Richie!

logo1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMJ0jRthOpM

Pro Model

11.jpg

Premium Model

12.jpg

Limited Edition (LE) Model

10.jpg

Playfield (Premium/Limited Edition)

4a.jpg

I mentioned yesterday about Jersey Jack Pinball's The Wizard of Oz machine but I don't know how many have seen it yet let alone heard of it. Well allow me to simply state it is an incredibly beautiful work of art. I will just let these images and videos speak for themselves as I cannot portray its magnificence through measley words.

Backglass and monitor artwork.

25.jpg

Flyer (UK version).

220.jpg

Pinball cabinet.

146.jpg

Close-up of playfield with lights.

147.jpg

The Trumper Bumpers beside the Wicked Witch.

125.jpg

Munchkinland mini-playfield

102a.jpg

The Wizard of Oz at Pacific Pinball Exposition 2012 (Crystal Ball toy was not implemented yet).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYmfq1apDuQ

Gameplay footage showing various close-ups of certain play features, shots, and toys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NltFZSKXa8

The Crystal Ball toy in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E_XG64j1nw

Jack Guarnieri with his The Wizard of Oz machines.

6.jpg

First appearance at the IAAPA in Orlando, Florida

206.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a little forgetful about one of Stern's next tables aside from the latest based on Star Trek and Star Trek: Into Darkness.

From The Rolling Stones with two pinballs under their belt, to Hell Bell's rockin' AC/DC, and now the legendary riders of lightning, Metallica!

Promo Teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1539p8maEtM

Pro Model

21.jpg

Pro Model - Playfield

22.jpg

Premium Model

23.jpg

Premium Model - Playfield

24.jpg

Exclusive 'Dirty Donny' Premium Model

35.jpg

Master of Puppets Limited Edition

25.jpg

Master of Puppets Limited Edition - Playfield

26.jpg

Sparkey :thumbsup:

28.jpg

Hammer & Snake Pit

30.jpg

Cross Target

29.jpg

Progress Grid (area between slingshots)

33.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Okay, I have a lot cool stuff to share! Bear with me here, I'm like a baby's bottom; a little behind. :P First, we have complete images of the cabinet artwork for Jersey Jack's "The Hobbit" table along with a glimpse at the whitewood and some animations for the backbox display.

Backbox

15a.jpg

20a.jpg

Playfield Cabinet

17.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

Early whitewood prototype

21a.jpg

Video of some early animations

In other news, are you a fan of The Big Lebowski? Of course you are. :) So get ready for this. Dutch Pinball, the makers of the Bride of Pinbot DMD conversion kit has obtained a licence from Universal Partnerships and Licensing to make a The Big Lebowski pinball! Can you believe it?! :hyper:

Alright, stay tuned. I have another bit of info to post. ;)

• Like 2

Stepping away from all the superheroes and movie trends for their next table, Stern is tackling classic homage to one of the most worldwide known car brands in the world of Mustang. :yes:

sternmustang1.jpg

Promo

Press Release

Pro Model

11.jpg

5a.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

Boss Premium Model

13.jpg

14.jpg

50 Years of Mustang Limited Edition Model

15.jpg

16.jpg

Feature comparison on all three models

17a.jpg

First look at preview model from NADA convention in New Orleans

Well, that is all for now.

• 1 month later...

Well, we have a couple of play videos showing The Hobbit table from Jersey Jack Pinball in its early whitewood stages and a preliminary "Multiball" video that will be used for the backbox.

Here we have images for the 50 Years of Mustang Limited Edition game from Stern.

19a.jpg

18.jpg

16.jpg

To add, I just found this little video that briefly interviews the guy that started Jersey Jack Pinball, Jack Guarnieri.

Wow had no idea there were other pinheads here. I have an afm and predator on order. Have owned about 50 titles since my first one in 99 ngg.

Not many here it seems (or maybe they just have not revealed themselves yet) but I do love pinball with a passion! Too bad nobody around me has any and I can't recall the last time I saw one in a local arcade. :( Still I can at least get my fix through the digital realm with Future Pinball and the many tables created by it including recreations of famous ones like Twilight Zone and Taxi. I remember No Good Gofers and Attack From Mars being pretty fun.

I have played woz a bit. Visually it's stunning but the gameplay feels a bit disjointed. Hopefully hobbit has better flow.

Well, that's a little disappointing to hear.

Just curious. Is it a good investment? Like having a few pinball machines in your restaurant....

Horrible investment if you want to put it on location. Few bucks in quarters every week and your 5k game takes a beating.

Some games have risen in value over the years. I bought an attack from mars 8 years ago for 3k. It sells for 8k now. Prices seem to be coming back down though. 

Just curious. Is it a good investment? Like having a few pinball machines in your restaurant....

Horrible investment if you want to put it on location. Few bucks in quarters every week and your 5k game takes a beating.

Some games have risen in value over the years. I bought an attack from mars 8 years ago for 3k. It sells for 8k now. Prices seem to be coming back down though.

Yeah, if you were lucky to have bought some games back in the day like Addams Family or Scared Stiff and kept them practically mint, you could have made some good money back but as for investing now I have no idea. As marcandre said, prices are coming down a bit although a few still continue to be pricy like the first Rolling Stones machine.

This is a bit off topic, but it's sooo totally appropriate that the first line in the ad for the Kiss pinball was about insuring large profits.  :money:

Haha, for sure. A lot of the older machines had flyers with statements of "big profits".

I LOVE PINBALL! Have owned 6 pins, still have 2, and want to buy more.

Anyone from Portland, OR. on here? They have more pinball machines per capita than anywhere else in the U.S.

They had the Texas Pinball Festival last month here in Dallas, it was AWESOME! Got to play the new Wizard of Oz machine (which was amazing, very well built machine). Loved the hi-res screen on it as well.

I'm moving to Portland in the next 2 years because of Pinball. I love Pinball more than I love Legos!

• 2 months later...

A lot of updates here so strap yourselves in, fellow pinheads. First up, the full playfield artwork has been completed for Jersey Jack's The Hobbit pinball. In the following images, you can check out the many differences between the original and final playfield sketches.

35.jpg

original (left) / new (right)

14a.jpg39.jpg

This image of the artwork with the playfield layout overlay gives a better view as to all the various functions.

34.jpg

Aside from big names like Stern and Jersey Jack, a few other 'hobbyists' have been making a name for themselves such as Skit-B and their Predator game now with a second title on the way called Experts of Dangerous based on the exploits of the classic Mythbusters.

newgameroundup5.jpg

newgameroundup1.jpg

Meanwhile a new start-up team of Vonnie D Pinball is planning to make waves with their Pinball Gremlins. The group does have a Kickstarter active for the moment but unfortunately with just a few days left, it will more than likely not reach the required goal. They still plan on carrying out the title regardless of reaching full support of the Kickstarter program; just perhaps a little longer than originally hoped.

newgameroundup2.jpg

newgameroundup3.jpg

Here to finish off this post with the ultimate tidbit of news many are anticipating. It's Dutch Pinball's table based on The Dude himself, The Big Lebowski.

newgameroundup7.jpg

newgameroundup10.jpg

newgameroundup11.jpg

newgameroundup8.jpg

Well, that's all for now folks! Oh yeah, I came across this video of a guy named Ben Heck where he gives a general guide to building your own pinball machine. It isn't very in-depth but is well done and a good starting point for what to consider.

Ben Heck - Build your own pinball machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KBVu5YLzZI