Pinball

TheOrcKing

Nice thread guys! My best friend bought the F-14 Tom Cat pinball machine a few months ago. Freakin' Awesome! Makes me want to own one as well. I am especially curious about the Soprano's Pinball Machine. I would like to own one. Is it good? Anyone owning this one or played it?

F-14 Tomcat has always been a personal favorite along with Pin-Bot. I have played The Sopranos machine before a couple times and it was fun from what I can remember. I think there is supposed to be a "Family" and "Adult" setting where the language is censured or not like sometimes when the pop bumpers are hit, you hear Paulie go "Where's the f**kin' money?!" as the display shows a hapless victim getting kicked. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3AgskOcTgo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The art is nice as usual from Stern but the playfield setup seems oddly familiar. I realize with a few decades of pinball some layouts will seem similar.

I don't like the art at all. I think they should have done a drawn playfield instead of the photoshop. 

The LE has a third flipper. I think it looks a little better, plus I actually know who the guys are. I don't see the macho man on there though, kind of a big omission. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The zidware game is a debacle. The game pictured is an unplayable prototype. He took a million dollars in deposits over four years ago and has now stated he cannot build the game and is out of money. Deposits for this were $16,000. Lawsuits are incoming, not sure what good that will do if he is broke. 

Details are here http://johnpopadiuk.com/

The Predator game also turned out to be a scam of sorts. The builder did not acquire the licence. I was in on the preorder but got out before it turned ugly. Lawsuit ongoing there too. Ugly days for pinball right now. 

I did read into the train wreck of the Predator table but did not realize the Zidware projects were heading in the same direction. Bummer. Being ambitious can be a good thing but usually best to go one way and stick with it to the end instead of tacking on yet another side project.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My wife's grandfather recently passed away, and we acquired this old pinball machine from his estate. It's called Gold Rush. Produced by Bally in 1966. It accepts dimes and has a built in "bonus" game built into the back glass.

I am not an expert on pinball machines, but was hoping to gain a little insight into its value and how to go about cleaning it up. It appears to be all original. It does work, but not perfectly. For something that is 50 years old and has probably never been cleaned or cared for properly I should expect that.

I did a little research but couldn't find much on the internet other than there were only 1750 of these made and were produced for New York and Wisconsin. This makes sense because we live in Green Bay. Can anyone shed some light on my newly acquired family heirloom? Thank you.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by terrymc4677
Added pictures.
  • Like 2

My wife's grandfather recently passed away, and we acquired this old pinball machine from his estate. It's called Gold Rush. Produced by Bally in 1966. It accepts dimes and has a built in "bonus" game built into the back glass.

First off, my sincerest condolences for your wife's loss. On to the pinball, very nice single player "add-a-ball" machine difficult to find one in any condition nowadays of which yours looks fairly well with all things considered in particular the backglass; quite possibly the most important part to maintain pristine and original from these vintage amusements. I'm a little fuzzy as where to even begin speculating the value here and my own searches turned up less than slim results. I do remember a fully restored project of this machine going for less than $3,000 but again that was a restoration. Yours in its current original condition may be closer to $800 or more.

Now I am far from an expert and have not much to form a proper value average honestly. It is a rare machine as is the other remaining electro-mechanical pinballs still standing out there but actual desirability is unknown and often when another buyer/collector is looking for one of these, it is because they have plans of restoring to some degree the machine for themselves making them hesitant with how high they will go just to acquire it taking the later costs of repair into consideration.

As for cleaning the machine, here is Home Pinball Repair which is a site that covers basic tips on cleaning and repair. Also here as a second resource from a site called Pin Repair all about restoring arcade amusements is Restoring Arcade and Pinball Games. There probably are other resources including YouTube "how to" clips I think.

• Like 1

First off, my sincerest condolences for your wife's loss. On to the pinball, very nice single player "add-a-ball" machine difficult to find one in any condition nowadays of which yours looks fairly well with all things considered in particular the backglass; quite possibly the most important part to maintain pristine and original from these vintage amusements. I'm a little fuzzy as where to even begin speculating the value here and my own searches turned up less than slim results. I do remember a fully restored project of this machine going for less than $3,000 but again that was a restoration. Yours in its current original condition may be closer to $800 or more.

Now I am far from an expert and have not much to form a proper value average honestly. It is a rare machine as is the other remaining electro-mechanical pinballs still standing out there but actual desirability is unknown and often when another buyer/collector is looking for one of these, it is because they have plans of restoring to some degree the machine for themselves making them hesitant with how high they will go just to acquire it taking the later costs of repair into consideration.

As for cleaning the machine, here is Home Pinball Repair which is a site that covers basic tips on cleaning and repair. Also here as a second resource from a site called Pin Repair all about restoring arcade amusements is Restoring Arcade and Pinball Games. There probably are other resources including YouTube "how to" clips I think.

Thanks for the links, Orc. Those will certainly get me going in the right direction. I was surprised as to what little information I could find out about this machine online. It seems to be a rare one, and I'd love to be able to clean it up to its former glory and hopefully pass it down to my kids.

• 3 weeks later...

Stern's next table will be based on Game Of Thrones. You can see more images & info on the upcoming table here. The table is currently in the preliminary stages therefore these shots are work-in-progress 3D renders.

3.jpg

5.jpg

8a.jpg

In other news, Stern and FarSight Studios are partnering up to recreate digital versions of their licensed tables. Before this point the area of virtual recreations based on any one of Stern's license based machines has been an area of concern for the company believing such would potentially reduce sales of the physical game or lower gained income by the operated machine. Even in fan form through software like Visual Pinball or Future Pinball, there was a "gentlemen's agreement" where no recreation based on a Stern table could be made or released until at least three years after production of the game has ended. Here is the article for the full story.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
7 hours ago, marcandre said:

Star Wars pinball by Stern announced today. Artwork is pretty bland. Layout could be good, looks like a fast player.

Well at least it isn't just a rerelease with some spiffy anniversary artwork and an updated rule set. Still Data East's table from a long time ago will be tough to beat.

8 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

Well at least it isn't just a rerelease with some spiffy anniversary artwork and an updated rule set. Still Data East's table from a long time ago will be tough to beat.

I wish they had done drawn art instead of the photoshop collage. The recent titles with drawn art have looked great (Ghostbusters) and the rest have looked terrible (Game of Thrones especially) 

Sounds like Disney would not allow drawn art. Leave it to them to ruin it.