79008 - Pirate Ship Ambush

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know about a sale in the near future but don't buy it at MSRP because a lot of us (everybody ?) were able to get this set with 20% off and more (40% off as for me)

It has been available on amazon with 30% off, most of the time.

Thanks. Will keep an eye on it, though I haven't seen it around much at my local retailers here in Australia, so will be watching.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Brickpicker mobile app

• 1 month later...

This is a good buy I think if you go to TRU and price match to 77$ from target or Walmart and get the bricktober set. Seems like a real winner being a pirate ship and so many mini figd

Just been out at Wal-Mart for $74 all summer with no sales. Some got at half of clearance at $37 though none in my area have done that.  LEGO stores also had a weekend over summer they were 79.99 and didn't sell either.  I like it as its a ship with lots of figs but could be awhile. 

Think Bat-Cave and a minifig or pumpkin is still the best for the free set.  Also did a few 2 Star Wars Advent lots for a few.  

saw this on clearance at kmart today for$63.

Just been out at Wal-Mart for $74 all summer with no sales. Some got at half of clearance at $37 though none in my area have done that.  LEGO stores also had a weekend over summer they were 79.99 and didn't sell either.  I like it as its a ship with lots of figs but could be awhile. 

Think Bat-Cave and a minifig or pumpkin is still the best for the free set.  Also did a few 2 Star Wars Advent lots for a few.

Yea I noticed lots of people getting the batcave. I went from SW advent calendars but I took all they had

If u pm in tru no free set for u...please, tell if u know 100%

I didn't know you don't get a free set if you price match!! That sucks of true! I was going to go and try tonight. Maybe it will work I will flirt again to get extra bricktober sets. That works for sure as long as you're a good charmer ;)

Yea I noticed lots of people getting the batcave. I went from SW advent calendars but I took all they had

same here, the Advents went quick so the batcave won again. Not much choice for them.  I figure the Batcave at $55 and the Bricktober piece at $20 makes sense on each one.  The Duplo Trains at $28 are not a bad option either, there $45 and should sell well at Xmas.  Some stores of Mines of Moria at 79.98 so thats not to bad either if you have more Batcaves then you want.  I'm at 25 BC so the time I'm done with these mini modulars that number is going to be really high lol.  

Thank you all for the input! I will have to go and see the options of the store. Last time I went they had Legos in 3 sections it was pretty big so I will see what I can find. Maybe I will get a few batcaves since I see a lot of people getting those. I personally don't like how it looks but I guess can't go wrong with a few

• 1 month later...

This is another decent set that is prob retiring either next month or by June 2015. Don't forget about this set as it has def been sailing under radar of late.

If history is an indicator, LOTR & Hobbit sets are either on 18 or 24 retail cycles. This set was introduced in June 2013.
Target com currently has these for $78 before the 5% discount.

LOTR: Pirate Ship Ambush - $77.99 @ Target

This is another decent set that is prob retiring either next month or by June 2015. Don't forget about this set as it has def been sailing under radar of late.

If history is an indicator, LOTR & Hobbit sets are either on 18 or 24 retail cycles. This set was introduced in June 2013.

Target com currently has these for $78 before the 5% discount.

I see what you did there. Don't fear, most of us have a boat load.

I remember when POTC where on the way out.  Seemed as though stores could not give away sets.  The black pearl was often discounted to $70 or below and I could still find plenty of stock in the wild.  Because of that reason I only bought  a handful.  Oops.  That was stupid.

I don't honestly know is LotR is as popular or even more so than PotC.  However 79008 Pirate ship Ambush shows the exact same signs, more stock than people are willing to buy at the moment,  just like 4184 Black Pearl.

Is there any correlation?  You decide.

• Like 1

I remember when POTC where on the way out.  Seemed as though stores could not give away sets.  The black pearl was often discounted to $70 or below and I could still find plenty of stock in the wild.  Because of that reason I only bought  a handful.  Oops.  That was stupid.

I don't honestly know is LotR is as popular or even more so than PotC.  However 79008 Pirate ship Ambush shows the exact same signs, more stock than people are willing to buy at the moment,  just like 4184 Black Pearl.

Is there any correlation?  You decide.

Yep. I remember when I had bought 10 from target.com for $80 or so a piece and returned them because I found so many at $70 or below. Wish I didn't return ANY. ;)

I would buy this set for $50 but not a penny more. These things have been on the shelves of my local Walmarts as long as I can remember. The exact same ones. $74 and no one wants them. Was this ship even in the movies?

This ship is no Black Pearl. Not even close.

Edited by mscheaf

The LOTR Pirate ship is not nearly as impressive as the POTC ship. For that reason, I think it lags well behind.

I remember a lot of talk about how the Black Pearl was not impressive at all, it was bland, and overall just a meh ship. Not so about Queen Anne's Revenge, but both have done very well. I see what you're saying and agree about it not being impressive, but I think my tastes deceive me when it comes to ships.