9470 Shelob Attacks E.O.L. soon?

Just noticed Lego LEGO Shop at Home  (UK) has 9470 marked with the  "Call to check product availability" Tag.

No real surprise to any of us that this normally amounts to the end of production for that set, does this indicate the 1st wave of L.O.T.R. sets may all follow suite and be gone by Christmas? Is it the same story in U.S.?

Stu.

Just noticed Lego LEGO Shop at Home  (UK) has 9470 marked with the  "Call to check product availability" Tag.

No real surprise to any of us that this normally amounts to the end of production for that set, does this indicate the 1st wave of L.O.T.R. sets may all follow suite and be gone by Christmas? Is it the same story in U.S.?

Stu.

I doubt that Helm's Deep or Mines of Moria will be gone by Christmas, since they are larger, and tend to have longer availability. We have had nation-wide clearances on LoTR in some of our big retailers like Target and Walmart, only to be restocked.

Shelob Attacks, Weathertop, and a few of the medium and small Lord of the Rings sets probably will retire though.

How often do lego eol sets, I am wondering if it half yearly, quarterly or whenever they feel like it. I thought this one would have made it until Christmas.

Watch out for deals from amazon etc...

Most non-exclusives last 1-2 years. Target stopped carrying Shelob in their stores early this summer. Walmarts in my area have clearanced them out and I haven't found any in awhile. Kmart doesn't seem to have any either. LEGO Shop at Home is probably going to continue to sell them until they are gone. EOL is pretty much based on sales and stock. They probably stopped producing this set a while ago but they are just riding off the stock left from that last run. If it takes a long time for Lego to sell all of their stock then it will be a while for it to go EOL. Some sets just don't move from retailers even after EOL like Weathertop which is still sitting on a bunch of Walmart shelves in my area at $40.

Let doesn't just randomly pick EOL dates they just pick when to stop producing a set and then it may take a long or short time for it to go EOL based on the above factors.

• Like 1

Most non-exclusives last 1-2 years. Target stopped carrying Shelob in their stores early this summer. Walmarts in my area have clearanced them out and I haven't found any in awhile. Kmart doesn't seem to have any either. LEGO Shop at Home is probably going to continue to sell them until they are gone. EOL is pretty much based on sales and stock. They probably stopped producing this set a while ago but they are just riding off the stock left from that last run. If it takes a long time for Lego to sell all of their stock then it will be a while for it to go EOL. Some sets just don't move from retailers even after EOL like Weathertop which is still sitting on a bunch of Walmart shelves in my area at $40.

Let doesn't just randomly pick EOL dates they just pick when to stop producing a set and then it may take a long or short time for it to go EOL based on the above factors.

I agree. All the EOL is based on the stock TLG has left. Sometimes, it takes a while to sell it all off, if it takes longer than TLG wants, they might put the retiring soon label on it, and might put it on sale too. I have also seen some of these sets on the store shelves, but I never liked them, so I have not bought any.

Do a lot of people like this set? I do back and forth?

I do really like Shelob after building it.

The Shelob is actually pretty good. I like the string with the hook. The why it's built gives it a nice tension so that you can hold Shelob by the string or hang it somewhere. Samwise will likely carry the value of this set just like he carried Frodo up Mount Doom!

• Like 1

Guest eightbrick

Sorry but, I'd not take them if they were given to me!

So if someone threw a twenty pound bill at you, you wouldn't summon the strength to bend over and pick it up? It's going to disappear from shelves pretty soon, and the next 3 months (which happens to be the return policy for some stores) are *hopefully* going to be quite revealing of its potential. Win-win situation in my opinion.

Guest TabbyBoy

So if someone threw a twenty pound bill at you, you wouldn't summon the strength to bend over and pick it up? It's going to disappear from shelves pretty soon, and the next 3 months (which happens to be the return policy for some stores) are *hopefully* going to be quite revealing of its potential. Win-win situation in my opinion.

Sorry, it just doesn't float my boat and I'm one of those that only buys sets that I like in case they bomb and I'm stuck with them.

Guest eightbrick

Sorry, it just doesn't float my boat and I'm one of those that only buys sets that I like in case they bomb and I'm stuck with them.

I see. But what I was saying is that you could return it if it doesn't show signs of improvement after awhile. Not exactly the most ethical solution though... I agree with you I guess on the buy-what-you-like sentiment though. :)

I look at Shelob like another, large, minifigure.  She is a significant player in a key part of the story.  There will probably be another Sam printed some time, but I doubt there will be another Shelob.  I know she is brick based, but at least she has unique printed eyes.  It seems like this set will be gone soon.  I buy it if I see it under $15.  It doesn't have to rise much to double at that price.  Uruk-Hai Army just went out of stock on US LEGO Shop at Home.  There are only 3 of the original 7 LOTR sets left in stock at Lego.

I am a little surprised these are going before Christmas. I would have expected them to be around at least until Christmas. Then I expect them to vanish in January along with the rest of the first wave LOTR sets and sone of the first hobbit sets.

But LEGO made a certain amount of sets.... they are not producing them anymore... so if they get buy out they are done....

I dont know how people keep thinking LEGO looks on dates and says...

''Here in january Shelob set wil lretire''

No it retires when it is gone from the warehouse from TLG ;)

Yes I realize that, but have we had confirm that they have stopped production.

Either way, I wold have them to produced enough to get through Christmas as this is a stocking filler set. Assuming its been selling well of course and it is worth it to them. :)

Well I doubt they continue production much further after release.... maybe 6-12 months except for a few special sets like Death Star ....

I am pretty certain production for all first wave of LOTR sets stopped around June/July this year.... Dont see how either of those sets would continue its production run right now as we ''speak''