Why would anyone think its ok to ship a Lego set without a box?!?!?

One more reason not to sell on ebay then, besides rip-off level commissions and generally uninformed buyer base. :purple:

Yes, for people who don't know how to package items, it's best to avoid eBay and Amazon both as a seller.

For people who know how to package, though, it's no biggie. I self insure and have had exactly one claim for damage in two years time. My bad, too - selling a type of item I usually don't and didn't do proper research on packaging beforehand, and it got crunched.

Non paying bidders are the worst. I don't do many auctions so don't usually have much of a problem, with immediate payment required on all our fixed price for about two years now.

Edited to add: They especially seem to come out of the woodwork during November/December when it's actually painful to not be able to offer the item for sale elsewhere. I'd encourage anyone running fixed price to consider IPR during the Christmas season, if at no other time of year.

• Like 1

I only ordered 1 set, maybe that's why. They gave me a $25 discount, which is better than nothing, I suppose.

Lucky to have never had this happen. That sucks to say the least.

Oh? I order from them recently and most everything arrived in good shape. No packaging materials though, just the sets tossed in box. 4/5 were in great shape though, but 1 was crushed slightly. 

Non paying bidders are the worst. I don't do many auctions so don't usually have much of a problem, with immediate payment required on all our fixed price for about two years now.

Edited to add: They especially seem to come out of the woodwork during November/December when it's actually painful to not be able to offer the item for sale elsewhere. I'd encourage anyone running fixed price to consider IPR during the Christmas season, if at no other time of year.

IPR requires an upgraded Paypal account. I haven't looked into it, but I might now. The item in question was a best offer... How does IPR work with that? If I accept an offer, when is the buyer required to pay? Seems like a loophole for non-paying buyers. Sigh.

Seeing this happen makes me want to return this just to teach this person a lesson. I recently bought a fire temple Ninjaco set (new) off ebay for $90. Pretty nice deal.

Got here today - wrapped in shipping paper, no box, crushed all to hell, seals burst on both sides, looks like elephant used it as a seat cushion.

Obviously, its still worth way more than I paid for it but I am irritated about it.

Don't understand how anyone can think this is ok. Does this happen to you all a lot? I have had this happen 3 times in the last month with sets. One was luckily fine, other two were beat to hell.

I've had a Winter Village Bakery sent to me with cardboard taped around it. That's even worse because the tape he used was also attached to the Lego box and it offered zero protection anyway. I was very surprised as I had explicitly informed about the state of the box and he said it was mint. I politely complained about it and he sent me a new (empty) box which was very well protected.

Guest TabbyBoy

Everything of value that I sell on eBay is put in waterproof bags, then bubble-wrapped and then placed in a double-walled box. Cheaper items are still sent in a padded bag or single-walled box with "Item package condition subject to handing" and "Please inspect for shipping damage BEFORE accepting" added to listing. I've not had one complaint in over 2,500 sales. Also, I always include a photo of actual item in it's box. The downside is a 20% hit due to eBay/PayPal fees and costs of good packaging but, trust me, it's worth it.

I've shipped plenty of items like this before when a buyer wants to save on shipping and doesn't care about the box.  If you have concerns about the item and how it ships you should check a sellers feedback first and see if there are other people that have complained about similar packaging issues.  Otherwise ask a question before you buy anything if it is an issue for you.

I've shipped plenty of items like this before when a buyer wants to save on shipping and doesn't care about the box.  If you have concerns about the item and how it ships you should check a sellers feedback first and see if there are other people that have complained about similar packaging issues.  Otherwise ask a question before you buy anything if it is an issue for you.

There's a marked difference between a buyer requesting no outer packaging to save on shipping and a seller shipping items without proper protection as a matter of policy without any such request from the buyer. No buyer should have to request that an item be packaged in such a way that it arrives in the condition shown and described in the eBay listing. And, indeed, under eBay rules they do not have to, a seller will lose a SNAD claim every time they fail to deliver the product in the condition promised.

• 5 weeks later...

So I bought these 2 Shellraiser sets on ebay. They came wrapped in paper sans shipping box. The paper was torn and of course on the day of delivery it was raining. Although I have a covered porch and the mailman did his best to shield the package, the corners of the boxes where the paper was torn got soaked. In my opinion, the sets are useless to me. I bought them for investment purposes, Im not a parter outer, and I don't think I have it in me to try to pass these off to some other chump. I know I can note the damage in the listing, but, eh, I dont want to. I like sending out sets in great condition.

Anyway, I contacted seller asking for refund (his listing says he accepts them). He replied back that hes shocked (he apparently sends sets this way all the time with no damage

post-13536-0-49801300-1383792363_thumb.j

post-13536-0-84328500-1383792383_thumb.j

post-13536-0-12554000-1383792400_thumb.j

So I bought these 2 Shellraiser sets on ebay. They came wrapped in paper sans shipping box. The paper was torn and of course on the day of delivery it was raining. Although I have a covered porch and the mailman did his best to shield the package, the corners of the boxes where the paper was torn got soaked. In my opinion, the sets are useless to me. I bought them for investment purposes, Im not a parter outer, and I don't think I have it in me to try to pass these off to some other chump. I know I can note the damage in the listing, but, eh, I dont want to. I like sending out sets in great condition.

Anyway, I contacted seller asking for refund (his listing says he accepts them). He replied back that hes shocked (he apparently sends sets this way all the time with no damage

Figure out what you need from him to be able to sell them to a parter-outer or someone who only cares about the contents (assuming the insides are okay). I'd say at least 30%, maybe half, or tell him you want him to provide a return address label and you'll send them back.

I don't want you to be a jerk, either (and don't think you would be), but the only way sellers like this learn is if it hurts them in the wallet enough to change their wicked ways.

I was looking for a set on eBay today and one seller, 1000+ feedback, says right in her freaking listing the box will be shipped "wrapped in brown paper". It's enough to make a frog cry.

• Like 1

I was a dear and looked up the part out value as I do this with sets (but haven't touched any TMNT as of yet). Anyway, It look as worst case scenario you can pull in $45-50 that way. If you sold it to someone who would do that, you are looking at getting about 30$ out of it on Ebay.

So, like I was saying, I think 30$ would be a good starting point. Honestly getting them for $25 a piece might be better if they really don't have a use to you.

If you do, PM me - I part stuff out and wouldn't mind them. Lol.

• Like 1