60022 - Cargo Terminal

cobi

serious question for everyone, is this set worth picking up?  I got one last summer during target clearance for 30$ but i never got another one.  couldnt seem to find these in any walmart for discount either.  (Darin making me scared since im in the us also and buying a few might be arrive pancaked also)

serious question for everyone, is this set worth picking up?  I got one last summer during target clearance for 30$ but i never got another one.  couldnt seem to find these in any walmart for discount either.  (Darin making me scared since im in the us also and buying a few might be arrive pancaked also)

Hard to say.

City planes have generally been good performers. Also, there's no successor in sight.

But there seems to be plenty of stock around, it should take some more time until it starts appreciating in value. I thought this would be the winner of the 2015 City retirements, but it seems 4204 is doing much better so far (most likely lower stocks near EOL).

I still think it has mid/long term potential as there's currently no plane available at all. The next one is most likely going to be a passenger jet, so it should be able to remain unique for some time.

Dunno 100% for sure, I think I'll resell my sets (kudos to valenciaeric for the heads up ;) ) on Xmas 2015 for about 110

• 6 months later...

I can definitely see this set going for $175 - $200 this Christmas. I was very happy getting some at 50% off last summer.

I listed mine on eBay US for a little above the going rate, but have still seen a lot of action (watchers, views). You can't underestimate the power of those big jet engines--especially without another Lego airport in sight.  

• Like 1

It's a great set that's just raking in the cash. I have 30 left and was considering keeping them for another year or two, but I'm already doubling my money and thinking about selling them now to fund more T1 Campers

Right... you were the daredevil with 30+ terminals. Good job!

Well... if you already cannot wait to sell the terminals that camper will seriously put your patience to the test.

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Time to eat humble pie and admit it was a mistake not to get more of these. Very strong appreciation for a CITY set with a normal production life.

Yes true true, but life is not like an apple pie. I stopped at 10. 30-50 would have been better.

Edited by Sozial

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎20‎:‎45‎, valenciaeric said:

Again, respect to those who got bucketloads of these this time last year off Amazon. 170 euros is the current trading price for a buy-on of 65 IIRC.

Especially to a certain person on here who took mine at cost (well below RRP) ;-)

Planes seem a no-brainer as I really caned it on the 3182 airport that I bought at Tesco for £60 a pop. I didn't think that 60022 had the same appeal but, it obviously does. That's got me thinking... could the Friends Jet be a sleeper if buy-in is low?

The big one, you mean? I guess it depends when it retired - no new City airport is planned until 2017, so maybe.

In any case, the plane is exactly the same but in purple so you might be on to something there. Find a Cadbury´s exec who likes Lego and you are a made man!

14 minutes ago, valenciaeric said: Again, respect to those who got bucketloads of these this time last year off Amazon. 170 euros is the current trading price for a buy-on of 65 IIRC.

Especially to a certain person on here who took mine at cost (well below RRP) ;-)

Planes seem a no-brainer as I really caned it on the 3182 airport that I bought at Tesco for £60 a pop. I didn't think that 60022 had the same appeal but, it obviously does. That's got me thinking... could the Friends Jet be a sleeper if buy-in is low?

14 minutes ago, valenciaeric said: Again, respect to those who got bucketloads of these this time last year off Amazon. 170 euros is the current trading price for a buy-on of 65 IIRC.

Nope. Totally different. City jets are more realistic while friends is fantasy. Unless people buy the set for the jet alone but the colors are too wild.

Guest TabbyBoy
On 08/08/2015, 19:55:31, Crustybeaver said:

It's a great set that's just raking in the cash. I have 30 left and was considering keeping them for another year or two, but I'm already doubling my money and thinking about selling them now to fund more T1 Campers

Good strategy, the campers are flying off the shelves at John Lewis so no wonder the oompa loompas are still churning them out, 44S5 being the latest seal code.  Expect this to be around for years and I won't be surprised if it outlives the DS.  Nevertheless, there'll be carnage, mass hysteria and blind panic when the T1 approaches EOL.  This set is platinum!

If you don´t apply the stickers , it´s only the tail and wings that are purple and plenty of low cost airlines have bright colour schemes nowadays. Price point is similar to 60022, so I´d be on the lookout for it at anything below 30% off.

Edited by valenciaeric

6 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Good strategy, the campers are flying off the shelves at John Lewis so no wonder the oompa loompas are still churning them out, 44S5 being the latest seal code.  Expect this to be around for years and I won't be surprised if it outlives the DS.  Nevertheless, there'll be carnage, mass hysteria and blind panic when the T1 approaches EOL.  This set is platinum!

He´ll be a much crustier beaver by that time, though!

12 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

I was worried it would have a negative effect on 60022 and it hasn´t so you may be right. Still, one to keep an eye on.

I don't know. It's possible, but I think that would be a different audience. I don't think many people who are willing to pay a big premium over MSRP after EOL do so if they don't plan to use the set how it was intended to use. While there might be several people who buy modulars just for their parts (e.g. pet stores as a source for windows), I'm quite sure this is no longer true once they appreciated in value. I guess at least 99% of those which are actually opened are being built exactly as it's printed on the box.

This is why I don't see it happening that many people will spend a fortune for a Friends jet in order to use it in their City scenario. The potential that it actually has is as a Friends set. I'm confident that it will remain pretty unique for several years to come.

On 08/08/2015, 19:55:31, Crustybeaver said: It's a great set that's just raking in the cash. I have 30 left and was considering keeping them for another year or two, but I'm already doubling my money and thinking about selling them now to fund more T1 Campers

Yeah must admit don't know what I was smoking back in August because it was making me say some ridiculous things. Every time I listed one of the Cargo Planes for £130 it was gone within a day or two. I've pulled the plug on listing them now because I can see this being a £180-200 set before the end of 2016.