9474 Helms Deep "Call to check product availability"

No disrespect towards a moderator :sweat:  But its kind of difficult to say how a set has performed if its only been retired for less than 24 hours. If its still under MSRP a year from now i would say its a under performer but right now the sky is the limit.

I'm not assuming it has retired.  I expect a set this iconic from an immensely popular licensed theme to hold it's value a little closer to MSRP.  Right now, the BP value is around $100, $30 (more than 20%) less than MSRP.  That's a pretty significant discount to MSRP.  We all know that's likely because of discounts available and its retail duration, but I still think it's relatively cheap in comparison to where I think it will end up in a 1-2 years time: $200-250.

I guess that's a round about way of saying I think sets can "perform" well (or poorly) before retirement.

24x16x4 doesnt seem like it has much room to spare on the top and bottom for peanuts or airbags... HD is 3" thick, right? Emazers have you had any trouble with crush damage when you ship?

I think this sized box, with one layer of bubble wrap, is the way to go and actually protects sets better. Nothing like an oversized Target box with a bunch of large bubbles to guarantee some crushed sets. Slimmer boxes help handle the weight distribution when something is stacked on top IMO.

People talk about Hobbit and LOTR like they are different...  If you are a big fan of one of the franchise, you typically like the other as well...they are technically one long continuous story after all.   Most fans of LOTR also read Hobbit and vice versa.    Huge fans of one certainly don't disregard the other.  As long as Hobbit is in theaters then it will be good for LOTR as well.  I haven't been doing this long enough to be able to project profits but the only reason this would stay low after retirement is if there are a ton of people in the secondary market with them or they make another one.  (I personally think this set should have been bigger...)

These two themes are no brainers for me...

EDIT:  I forget who said this was a weird time for LEGO to retire these...  These were not retired now, they ran out of stock now.  Apparently the last time stores could order them was in (June?) 

EDIT:  I forget who said this was a weird time for LEGO to retire these...  These were not retired now, they ran out of stock now.  Apparently the last time stores could order them was in (June?) 

Not really that weird, the hobbit movie comes out in december, that basically gives them 2 months to clear out the first wave of LOTR and focus on the Hobbit sets. I think Christmas season + The new movie is going to stir up some massive demand for this theme so hold on tight its going to be a wild ride! :jig:

That is quite the impressive collection! Your house must be packed with boxes! :money:

Here is my thought on how the Helm's Deep will do a year or two down the road, and if you got your's pretty cheap say $80-100 well that makes it better, And it looks like alot of us has gotten some cheaper than that, but since you can still get them pretty cheap making seems like next year and beyond they should do very well, so get them while you can, But most likely there will be people who will miss the boat on these to.So for me to have 58 of these I am 100% confident these will make me some good money. Ed
ou1ldx.jpg

• 2 weeks later...