Lord of the Rings 2014

Legolas is the baddest of the bunch. (He even has Lego in his name for crying out loud.)  Strider and Gimli would whoop his ass too!  Bormoir was like the weak minded runt of the bunch   :)

Edit: Except for the Hobbits of course.  He MIGHT have been able to take one of them without help :)

• 1 month later...

So there is no ''teaser'' for LTOR 2014 in Hobbit sets unlike last year...

Is that a good enough ''proof'' that goes hand in hand with speculation that LOTR sold ''poorly'' and is being cut out?

Would be a shame... what do you guys think?

I was 100% LOTR 2014 3rd wave is coming until i got reports about no teaser like last year in the new hobbit line.

Guest eightbrick

So there is no ''teaser'' for LTOR 2014 in Hobbit sets unlike last year...

Is that a good enough ''proof'' that goes hand in hand with speculation that LOTR sold ''poorly'' and is being cut out?

Would be a shame... what do you guys think?

I was 100% LOTR 2014 3rd wave is coming until i got reports about no teaser like last year in the new hobbit line.

It's a bad sign, but isn't definitive. I've been following the LOTR thread on EB as well, every day hoping for some confirmation. That list of rumored sets is being treated as BS now, but the last time someone put out a list they weren't entirely right, but they did hit some things (eg. Orthanc). Personally, I really like the sets on that list, as long as we get some Gondor soldiers, a fellbeast and an Oliphaunt I think it will be fine, most of the rest can just be built. On one hand you got that the sets haven't exactly been huge hits (I think they have at least met expectations though), but then again I don't think TLG would mess with us by giving us things like the black gate or the corsairs if they didn't plan on actually giving us at least one Gondor related set.

Probably not. As we know from the story of Peter Jackson's decision to split the two hobbit movies in three, and Lego unable to change their waves accordingly, we know that their production cycle takes well over half a year. That means decisions on how to fill these sets were probably made before Lego had much sales data on the 2nd LOTR wave which was released in july 2013.

Of course this doesn't necessarily mean we will get a third wave, but I would think that if Lego would base that decision on the performance of wave 2, I would imagine that they would at least wait how the holiday season (and release of the 2nd Hobbit Movie) affect this line.

Probably not. As we know from the story of Peter Jackson's decision to split the two hobbit movies in three, and Lego unable to change their waves accordingly, we know that their production cycle takes well over half a year. That means decisions on how to fill these sets were probably made before Lego had much sales data on the 2nd LOTR wave which was released in july 2013.

This argument goes both ways for me though

1st side: is your story that because Jackson decided to change 2 into 3 movies LEGO was unable to act accordingly and is shutting down after wave 2

2nd side: (my theory) Because of jacksons maneuver we got only 4 sets with ''crap'' builds (just look at Hobbit buildings... and to some extent LOTR (nothing special)) because they quickly made some sets to put in filler gap for their 2nd(now 3rd) wave....

but then again I don't think TLG would mess with us by giving us things like the black gate or the corsairs if they didn't plan on actually giving us at least one Gondor related set.

Exactly my thoughts (or hopes) aswell....

I highly highly highly doubt they will cancel lord of the rings for the next wave guys. Im pretty sure they pay for the franchise over a set period of time, they will not waste that money. 

While this is a popular pro why we are presumably getting wave 3, It is entirely possible TLG bought 2 year license (for both) and then when they informed them that 3rd movie is coming they only ''extended'' Hobbit license.... this is only a theory because we have no idea if the licensed are combined or separate....

• 1 month later...

Is this legit?

As of right now, it's looking like there is a small wave coming out in '14, but nobody is 100% whether it is LotR or Hobbit, since the site that is showing the sets lumps them together as a single line.  I will be pretty disappointed if they don't continue the LotR line, as it is much better than Hobbit IMO.  Only time will tell, but there are some Toy Fairs coming up soon, so that should be when we have our definitive answer.

As of right now, it's looking like there is a small wave coming out in '14, but nobody is 100% whether it is LotR or Hobbit, since the site that is showing the sets lumps them together as a single line.  I will be pretty disappointed if they don't continue the LotR line, as it is much better than Hobbit IMO.  Only time will tell, but there are some Toy Fairs coming up soon, so that should be when we have our definitive answer.

You'd have to think that the Hobbit will get another wave next Dec. for the third movie, following the pattern set up thus far - I'm pretty sure this was a summer wave leak, which means by default it pretty much has to be LOTR.  I'd also guess due to the expense of this license this will be the final wave of LOTR. I do think Orthanc will stick around until the end of the license, and that they'll probably make enough so that when the license does run out (maybe Dec. 2014?) they have enough stockpiled to last well in to 2015.

There is a possibility that lego may continue to produce new LOTR and hobbit sets so long as there is good demand. What has LOTR and hobbit IP owner got to lose? It good licensing money for many more years and lego is second largest toy maker in the world with much better quality image.

Ya if they didn't continue Harry Potter after those movies (still insanely popular) they probably won't continue these after the hobbit movies! Even though I love the sets, it'll be nice to see them go away and increase in value!!

I'll like the profit but will miss the potential. As there is gonna be so much they won't do. My minifig wish list is 2nd age Sauron (minimates one just doesn't cut it) and Witch-King 

I'll like the profit but will miss the potential. As there is gonna be so much they won't do. My minifig wish list is 2nd age Sauron (minimates one just doesn't cut it) and Witch-King

Well hopefully they do a 3rd wave LOTR and 3rd wave Hobbit at minimum. We haven't even seen a Minus Tirith, Lothlorien, Smaug set, or Eodoras yet! Just to name a few!

You'd have to think that the Hobbit will get another wave next Dec. for the third movie, following the pattern set up thus far - I'm pretty sure this was a summer wave leak, which means by default it pretty much has to be LOTR.  I'd also guess due to the expense of this license this will be the final wave of LOTR. I do think Orthanc will stick around until the end of the license, and that they'll probably make enough so that when the license does run out (maybe Dec. 2014?) they have enough stockpiled to last well in to 2015.

This is my thought as well, I just didn't want to stick my neck out yet until there is further confirmation.  I believe the 3rd Hobbit wave will coincide with the 3rd movie this winter, with this rumored wave being LotR, and probably the final wave with hopefully another D2C coming out after that, like Diagon Alley, Kingdoms Joust, MMV, you name it.

Ya if they didn't continue Harry Potter after those movies (still insanely popular) they probably won't continue these after the hobbit movies! Even though I love the sets, it'll be nice to see them go away and increase in value!!

Exactly.  If lines like Harry Potter don't continue once the movies are gone, there's no way they will continue the line of LotR/Hobbit.  There's just not the demand out there that Star Wars gets. 

Well hopefully they do a 3rd wave LOTR and 3rd wave Hobbit at minimum. We haven't even seen a Minus Tirith, Lothlorien, Smaug set, or Eodoras yet! Just to name a few!

Yes, yes, and more yes.  I think there is no way that Smaug is not made in one way or another.  Minas Tirith, they could go both ways, a small set resembling a part of the city or a giant set like a Helm's Deep, only larger.  I doubt we will see Lothlorien or Edoras, which is sad, because an Edoras set would really fit in for those of us that have little Middle Ages setups with our Castle/Kingdoms sets.  You would have to think that a 3rd wave of LotR would as least have:

1)Gondor - Faramir and plain soldiers/rangers.  Maybe an Osgiliath set.

2) Pelennor Fields - Fell Beast w/ Witch King, Eowyn at minimum

3) Balrog w/ another Gandalf

Others that could be possibilities would be Galadriel(though I think they'll fit her into a Hobbit set), something from Easterlings/Haradrim/Oliphants, though I doubt it.  I hope they don't do a Mt. Doom set, that would be all kinds of boring, but I know some folks want weary versions of Sam and Frodo like in the game.  I could see a Treebeard set, but it wouldn't be necessary since we have a generic Ent. 

My dreams are for a giant Minas Tirith, but I'm keeping my hopes tempered right now. 

The Could do a smaller White Tower with Hall of Kings (courtyard) as D2C but I doubt they would want 2 similar D2C sets from same theme (2x towers)

My guess is they will do a smaller Minas Tirith set since even a half ass version would still cost about $200.  It would have to be a $400 set to really get the effect of the city, and even then, it would be too small, which is why I think you'll see a set with the White Tree or something like that for $40-60 and hopefully throw in some folks like Denethor, but he's very low on my list of wants for this theme.  At the same time, MT is about the only other site that I think would deserve the D2C treatment.  I can't think of another place in Middle Earth that A)would be more deserving, and B) people would actually buy. Yeah, you could make a big Mordor location, but I don't know who would buy it outside of the die hards.  Orthanc was a great location to make as it has plenty of action going on around it in the movies. 

After thinking about it, the only other big set I would like to see that I may put ahead of Minas Tirith would be a Rivendell set like Diagon Alley, that gave you a few buildings and a ton of figures.