10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

Amazon sold out of the Camper Van within the last couple days.  Now, I know that doesn't necessarily mean it's about to retire, but when Amazon sells out of something that they normally have lots of in stock, it always causes my eyebrows to perk up a little.  Draw your own conclusions here, but just saying...

Amazon sold out of the Camper Van within the last couple days.  Now, I know that doesn't necessarily mean it's about to retire, but when Amazon sells out of something that they normally have lots of in stock, it always causes my eyebrows to perk up a little.  Draw your own conclusions here, but just saying...

Amazon ran out of stock last Spring for the Tower Bridge, VW Camper Van, and Sopwith Camel.  I think the last time the VW ran out it was priced at $106 and the Sopwith ran out when it was priced at $90, so we may never see those prices again.

2 years for the Camper was in September, the big question is how long is the License for the Volkswagen Camper, if it was 2 years, that means production stopped on these in Sept, if that is the case well we should no something after Christmas, To get License from some companies cost millions. Lets see if Lego Tries to get to extend the Marvel and Lord of the Rings License which both are suppose to expire end of 2015. Which Lego will have to dish out plenty.

2 years for the Camper was in September, the big question is how long is the License for the Volkswagen Camper, if it was 2 years, that means production stopped on these in Sept, if that is the case well we should no something after Christmas, To get License from some companies cost millions. Lets see if Lego Tries to get to extend the Marvel and Lord of the Rings License which both are suppose to expire end of 2015. Which Lego will have to dish out plenty.

I can't see Lego extending the LOTR licence, with no more films coming out. 

Marvel and DC though I can see being out for ages.

It debuted in Sept 2011, so it's well past a 2 year shelf life. I'm hoping it's gone by January, as most advanced models retire in Dec. If it's still around come February, get ready to wait at least another year. Sigh.

With longer shelf lifes on many sets I expect this to be around for another year or maybe more. The Lego store employees around me have not heard this set is retiring - I know they by their own admission are not the most accurate of people but they still think this set is in full production.

It's 16% discounted on the Amazon.co.uk site but 16% from

• 3 weeks later...

I expect this set to be around for another year at least.

People say that loads of people have bought the FB so that may affect its EOL price. Well this set appears to be more popular than that one and may also have as long a production run.

This may affect its aftermarket price. Having said that, it is possible to find this set at a discount, unlike the FB. So if you get it cheap and are prepared to wait a bit, you should make some money.

Guest TabbyBoy

I think the camper is around for a while longer and 10% off instore (not online) at John Lewis.  My biggest clanger is buying TBs at retail -VIP last year, I should've waited until the end of 2014.

without having insight into the VW license, i just have the catalog to go by.  10220 is in the winter catalog.  thus, i think we are looking at another 3-4 months minimum. it seems to be a decent seller and VW does get PR from it so why end it unless the next advanced model auto set is ready for release?