10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

odenisblazin

On one hand, it's been out 3 years so its due, but in the other hand, it's very popular. There are so many on eBay compared to the Sopwith Camel.

Right at this moment, there are exactly 50 x 10220 and just 25 x 10226 on ebay.com

zly9ae.jpg

Some prices seem a bit high... :sweat:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just finished building the T1 Camper (great model to build and display), and had a large number of red 2x1x3 (??2 long, 1 wide, 3 high??) bricks left over - about 10 i think.

From memory they came in separate packs.

Is this normal? Or did I miss a whole step??

Cheers.

I haven't built this set, so I don't know if you missed a step or not, but I went through the inventory for the set on Brickset and Bricklink, and I couldn't find the piece you are talking about. Maybe it was a production error and you got some extra random pieces.

I just looked at brickset - maybe my description was a bit misleading - its a red "brick 2x1" (#3004 or #300421) which there are meant to be 13 of. I didn't count them before i started, but the "extras" where in two separate bags of 5x.

i would think if i missed a step then there might be a big hole in the side of the van, or something obvious to miss about 10 bricks...

We did not have any extra 2x1 red bricks after we finished building the camper van. Sounds like a packaging mistake direct from the LEGO factory. From what I can see, 12 of the 13 bricks are used to create the outside shell of the van (one is used near the motor in the back) so you'd definitely have one silly looking finished product.

And this review shows what the "extra parts" typically include:

http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=&t=3920

I just looked at brickset - maybe my description was a bit misleading - its a red "brick 2x1" (#3004 or #300421) which there are meant to be 13 of. I didn't count them before i started, but the "extras" where in two separate bags of 5x.

i would think if i missed a step then there might be a big hole in the side of the van, or something obvious to miss about 10 bricks...

I see now. Seems to me that it a production error because there does not seem to be any part of the van missing from your description.

With everyone currently focusing on the UCS sets that be might retire, I'm continuing to stockpile 10220 sets. The news of the upcoming Mini Cooper set really put me into overdrive.

During the heyday of Lego "hard to find" discounts, I usually picked this set up for between $100 and $107 before reward points/ rebates. With Amazon reward points currently, at least I'm still getting something...off retail price.

Unless this set becomes another TRU exclusive, it will sell-out pretty quick. "Maybe" even faster than it's brother in the numbering system, 10221 due to it being popular for customizing, cheaper retail price, excellent build and display, box design is slick looking, and global appeal.

In summary, don't get caught empty handed.

I've created this thread so we can discuss 10220 when we start noticing inventory decreasing or another signs of retirement.

As of today, amazon has over 999 units.

Target has a max limit of 8 per order.

Lego UK allows you to input 99 into your shopping basket while the US site allows 5. Thus we are still ahead of the game for buying.

post-3743-13989387853232_thumb.jpg

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

post-3743-0-67213700-1398941370_thumb.jp

post-3743-0-67122200-1398941383_thumb.jp

post-3743-0-76419100-1398941394_thumb.jp

I've stockpiled a few Sopwith Camels here recently and I plan to do the same with the VW Camper Van.  I'd like to have at least a dozen of these before it's gone.

i'm not as high on the 10226 sopwith camel since it's a refresh and 'may' not have the global appeal as10220.  trust me, i like the set as a building product.  granted, 10226 has the world war i appeal but i think world war 2 has far more historians and a greater following.   like the VW Beetle, the VW vans were a common place everywhere (and sotra still are).  heck, i pass a white and blue T2 everyday while dropping the kids off at preschool in the city. 

if only lego produced a Snoopy version of 10226 :)  Talk about an instant classic.

IMG_5054.jpg

Right at this moment, there are exactly 50 x 10220 and just 25 x 10226 on ebay.com

zly9ae.jpg

Some prices seem a bit high... :sweat:

10220 has always sold for a premium on eBay even though retailers have them in-stock.  Many Europeans and Asians purchase them on eBay since the high price paid can still be cheaper than buying domestically.  This is one of the many factors that make me a believer in this set (global demand).

100% agree......I'm not really interested in the SC as an investment.

I wouldn't be interested either, if it didn't rise to $180 - $190 with 3rd party resellers every time it goes out of stock.

Amazon 3rd party sellers need to raise it so high to cover their extreme expenses.  I'm not seeing many 3rd party sales when amazon is sold-out (when i watch) but then again, we can't track (or at least, I don't know how to) completed sales on that site.

Completed "new" sales on bricklink are averaging $6 above MSRP before postage. 

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=10226-1

"Sold" new ebay sales are all over the place before shipping.  The avg range is $75 to $130 before shipping but many sellers gave free postage,

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_ItemCondition=3&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=50&_udhi=250&_sop=3&_nkw=lego+10226&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

update:

what concerns me more about 10226 compared to 10220 is that 10226 doesn't seem to have nearly as many completed  / sold sales.  

on ebay, 10220 is outselling 10226 by 3 to 1. 

on bricklink, there have been 45 new and 1 used 10226s old w/in the last 6 months while the 10220 #s are 389 new and 3 used sales. 

***to me, this is an indicator of future demand***

• Like 1

I love this set and really wish Lego would do more sets like this instead of just one or two at a time. Really looking forward to the Mini too.

I'm sure it will do well investment-wise, though it's rate of appreciation might be slow out of the blocks if a lot of people are stock piling them.

I can see it making nice profits  down the line if people are patient with it.

After the Amazon SSD inventory mess/mystery I'm not sure how much I trust them on the 999+ number, it would be prudent to buy soon IMO . This one is definelty on my "buy-me-soon" list. Great set. As always I've already grabbed one from amazon WH for personal use.

• 3 weeks later...

Hej guys,

Here in Holland a large toy shop states that is is out of production since 1st April 2014. The last inventory is sold now online via webshops.

You can see the link here:

http://otten-speelgoed.nl/op-op/38505742.html

Translated to English it says: Out of production!!!! Last chance to get it.

Some other online Lego shops which are popular here in Holland don't have it in stock anymore. 1 shop didn't have a re-supply since week 11... So I really think and believe that if you want this set before retirement: Get it now before it is too late! ;-)