Complaint Thread

rcdb1984

I seriously doubt anyone in this forum relies completely on LEGO reselling. Most of us, if not all, do this as a side "business".

Relying completely on LEGO reselling was never stated, but perhaps I wasn't clear.  My point is that I would never want to rely on reselling LEGO as a necessary source of income, primary or supplemental.  I can understand it being a side business for some extra cash or as just another way to be involved with LEGO.

I seriously doubt anyone in this forum relies completely on LEGO reselling. Most of us, if not all, do this as a side "business".

I don't know... If I were a big Bricklink seller or eBay reseller I'd at least lurk here to learn about the good deals.

And I know for sure at least one of us is full-time ecommerce, reselling only books and Lego, and the Lego are gaining ground all the time.  :thumbsup:

Fortunately, I'm not the worrying kind. I make a plan, implement it, change it as necessary, and end up a winner instead of a whiner worrying over what everyone else is doing that's mean, unfair, or lacks restraint.

• Like 1

I don't know... If I were a big Bricklink seller or eBay reseller I'd at least lurk here to learn about the good deals.

And I know for sure at least one of us is full-time ecommerce, reselling only books and Lego, and the Lego are gaining ground all the time.  :thumbsup:

Fortunately, I'm not the worrying kind. I make a plan, implement it, change it as necessary, and end up a winner instead of a whiner worrying over what everyone else is doing that's mean, unfair, or lacks restraint.

That's true as well ;)

If I were relying on reselling LEGO for any part of my income so that I could meet my financial responsibilities, I'd be extremely worried about myself.  But that's just me.  I've never sold any LEGO.  I like LEGO because of the unlimited potential for creativity, and the fact that its popularity spans generations.

I think "If I were relying on reselling LEGO for any part of my income so that I could meet my financial responsibilities, I'd be extremely worried about myself.  But that's just me.  I've never sold any LEGO. "

Is a bit of a paradox or oxymoron.  It's like saying "If I had to rely on a job to pay my bills, I would be extremely worried because I never had a job."  Or, a better analogy:  If I had to rely on a parachute to safely land on the ground after jumping out of an airplane that I have never jumped out of...

If I had a car that I had to put gas in that I never had...

If someone tried to cut off my tail that I don't have...

However, on the pragmatic side, one should be worried about meeting financial obligations by a means that they don't engage in.  If I had to pay my bills by selling sea turtles, I would be very worried about myself.  I have never even seen a sea turtle.  (this area left blank).  Never mind, I always lie.  

And....

Definition of 'Luxury Item'

An item that is not necessary for living, but is deemed as highly-desired within a culture or society.

• Like 2

The only difference between someone clearing out all the shelves today v Black Friday is the media/social hype. I honestly don't blame people for playing it smart as long as they don't have an unfair advantage.

I do some real estate business on the side and whenever I find a good deal I go for it, if I

was to let it slide in hope that a more needing person might or might not make an offer on it, then I would have to stop calling it a business and turn it into a hobby.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 3

I'm not a whiner.  You can beat me to every deal out there and I'm not going to whine over missing out on buying a LEGO set at discount.  If I can justify paying the retail price for a set I like, I'll buy it.  Not everyone's in the same position to do this. 

I think "If I were relying on reselling LEGO for any part of my income so that I could meet my financial responsibilities, I'd be extremely worried about myself.  But that's just me.  I've never sold any LEGO. "

Is a bit of a paradox or oxymoron.  It's like saying "If I had to rely on a job to pay my bills, I would be extremely worried because I never had a job."  Or, a better analogy:  If I had to rely on a parachute to safely land on the ground after jumping out of an airplane that I have never jumped out of...

If I had a car that I had to put gas in that I never had...

If someone tried to cut off my tail that I don't have...

However, on the pragmatic side, one should be worried about meeting financial obligations by a means that they don't engage in.  If I had to pay my bills by selling sea turtles, I would be very worried about myself.  I have never even seen a sea turtle.  (this area left blank).  Never mind, I always lie.  

And....

Definition of 'Luxury Item'

An item that is not necessary for living, but is deemed as highly-desired within a culture or society.

Then you misunderstood my statement.  Whatever, no big deal.

While there are some sets whose value has risen to a point where the normal enthusiast can't justify a purchase, LEGO as a whole is not a luxury item.

The only difference between someone clearing out all the shelves today v Black Friday is the media/social hype. I honestly don't blame people for playing it smart as long as they don't have an unfair advantage.

I do some real estate business on the side and whenever I find a good deal I go for it, if I

was to let it slide in hope that a more needing person might or might not make an offer on it, then I would have to stop calling it a business and turn it into a hobby.

Just my 2 cents

As you should go for it, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

I guess the point of the whole "luxury" discussion is to make clear that LEGO sets are not something anyone "deserves" or "needs" to own to be happy or live. If resellers were buying all the water from Walmart during a catastrophe and selling each bottle for $1,000 you might have a point, but that does not apply to LEGO.

Now, if anyone wants to leave sets for others to purchase, that's certainly their right as well.

As you should go for it, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

My only point was if someone is engaged in a business of any sort, they will do what they think is best for their business plan. I can't blame them for it, but I do realize that some items will be of a more sensitive nature than others.

Make that at least two of us (I sell a bunch of non-LEGO stuff too).

I've got nothing against reselling, just show some restraint.

Since you are my boss, dad, mom, teacher, and/or law-enforcement officer, I will do what you say.

• Like 1

I guess the point of the whole "luxury" discussion is to make clear that LEGO sets are not something anyone "deserves" or "needs" to own to be happy or live. If resellers were buying all the water from Walmart during a catastrophe and selling each bottle for $1,000 you might have a point, but that does not apply to LEGO.

Now, if anyone wants to leave sets for others to purchase, that's certainly their right as well.

I only leave sets for other to purchase if they are not at a good enough discount. If they are at a good enough discount, then they will all be gone.

It's all brick envy and I have it quite often.  I do leave some for the kiddos every time I hit a big clearance, rare item, or sale.  As an investor, I hope to someday be able to afford to clear the shelves and leave the children crying who are only left with KRE-O bricks.

If their parents REALLY love them, they'll buy the sets from you at a high price on eBay. You're just giving the parents a chance to prove their love to their children through their wallets, which is the way of our people.

You're a good person. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

If their parents REALLY love them, they'll buy the sets from you at a high price on eBay. You're just giving the parents a chance to prove their love to their children through their wallets, which is the way of our people.

You're a good person. :thumbsup:

I really like this logic. It`s how I sleep at night  :devil:

And before someone says it, if a parent simply can't afford to purchase a set for their child, it is also a great opportunity to let them know they love them so much they are willing to be the "bad guy" for a couple days just so that they can spend that money on things that really matter in the long term: education, food, shelter and other basic needs.

Plus, they'll get a chance to teach their sons that you can't always get everything you want and working hard will pay off almost always.

• Like 1

If I know a good deal is coming, I buy them up before hand and then go back, receipt in hand, for a price adjustment. Seriously, people have to get smart about this. More stores are allowing price adjustments. We all knew this sale was coming WAY ahead of time. Nothing stopped you from doing what I did, buy every single VC from both of my Toys R Us's, heck half of them I put on layaway because I didn't have enough cash to buy 17 VC's full out at $95 a pop, and then return the next day for price adjustments.

Even after getting my sales taxes whacked because I was buying for resale, the manager personally helped me to the car with my haul. I was also able to grab a handful of Ghost Trains and that Lego Friends that was going to be on sale for $90.

If you walked in today hoping to get the deals, the good stuff was gone. That's the way it's done folks.