Complaint Thread

rcdb1984

If I know a good deal is coming, I buy them up before hand and then go back, receipt in hand, for a price adjustment. Seriously, people have to get smart about this. More stores are allowing price adjustments. We all knew this sale was coming WAY ahead of time. Nothing stopped you from doing what I did, buy every single VC from both of my Toys R Us's, heck half of them I put on layaway because I didn't have enough cash to buy 17 VC's full out at $95 a pop, and then return the next day for price adjustments.

Even after getting my sales taxes whacked because I was buying for resale, the manager personally helped me to the car with my haul. I was also able to grab a handful of Ghost Trains and that Lego Friends that was going to be on sale for $90.

If you walked in today hoping to get the deals, the good stuff was gone. That's the way it's done folks.

Very good point. This is a practice I`ve done since I started investing, and as proven very effective every time it`s utilized. I bought Goblin King`s for full price a few weeks back, knowing that they were going on for 1/2 off 2 days later. Well, I went in store, and the 4-5 that I left ( I only wanted a couple for parts) were gone. Got my price adjustment, and that was that. That`s just the latest example. Honestly, to some extent, in a cruel way perhaps, I`m happy people don`t pay attention. Makes it that much easier for those that do  :thumbsup: And that goes both ways of course. I`ve missed things for not reading flyers/paying attention as well. Hence the reason I try to be more active about it. 

I have no problem clearing a shelf if it's a great deal that I can make a lot of money on. Heck, I should start leaving a business card explaining where they can go to purchase the merchandise from me at my price.

I have had several conversations with people who think you're some kind of monster, and a spoiler of Christmas's of kids when you're a reseller of toys. Everyone that buys my stuff is grateful for being able to find it somewhere for their kids. Not every person in the United States has a Toys R Us nearby, so they are perfectly fine paying a mark up to buy an exclusive item for more money. Some people don't care about spending more money and not running around through 15 stores to find one item. I provide a service. I find those items, and I risk my hard earned dollars purchasing stuff I think I will be able to make a return on. I do all the work to find that hard to find toy, and I charge a premium for that service. Not everyone wants to pay that premium, but from my experience, enough will and do which keeps me in business.

I always ask people that hate on resellers, "What makes what I do any different than what TRU or Walmart does?" Then I explain to them that they purchase stuff at a lower price than they sell it at. By their hatred of resellers, they should hate retailers too, because they don't just give the toys away to make kids happy. Let's clear things up, every single toy I buy for resale has been sitting on the shelf since September most times. I do my research, and I go out and check out the field to see what's out there. Some stuff I scoop up at full blown retail knowing I'll get a bigger return, other stuff I wait for sales on. If you got an item that your kid just HAS to have, why are you waiting until November or Black Friday to save 20%?

• Like 4

I hate how my Target (at least mine) puts their clearance Lego pretty much on any endcap in the entire store.  I go to a Super Target, and the place is stupid big.  I found a clearance SW set by the tools and a LOTR by the greeting cards.  Makes me nuts.

Ouch, that makes locating anything a lot harder. My local Targets do the same thing but in the "general" toy area. You would spend a lot of time looking for some deals and sometimes never find any. They should follow what Walmart does and make one clearance section where all clearance items would be.

• Like 1

I always ask people that hate on resellers, "What makes what I do any different than what TRU or Walmart does?" Then I explain to them that they purchase stuff at a lower price than they sell it at. By their hatred of resellers, they should hate retailers too, because they don't just give the toys away to make kids happy. Let's clear things up, every single toy I buy for resale has been sitting on the shelf since September most times. I do my research, and I go out and check out the field to see what's out there. Some stuff I scoop up at full blown retail knowing I'll get a bigger return, other stuff I wait for sales on. If you got an item that your kid just HAS to have, why are you waiting until November or Black Friday to save 20%?

One important difference is that a brick and mortar store employs people.  They can't pay wages, along with every other operating expense, if they purchased goods from manufacturers at retail. 

One important difference is that a brick and mortar store employs people.  They can't pay wages, along with every other operating expense, if they purchased goods from manufacturers at retail. 

Are you under some delusion that no online business employs people or has operating expenses?

I can't pay wages, along with every other operating expense, if I don't buy for resale at the right price, either. Me and Walmart, same problems, different scale.

• Like 3

Not sure what your point here is. And I can't pay my wages and operating expenses if I sell the merchandise I purchase at the same price I bought it at either. When people shop on eBay and from Amazon 3rd party sellers, when all other venues are sold out, do they expect people to lose money?

And I think you're forgetting. Resellers are job creators too. Every time Amazon takes a fee from a sale, that's more employees they need to hire to fulfill orders. How many more jobs do you think Amazon created since they started FBA? Thousands of small business allow Amazon to fulfill orders, creating jobs. How many UPS, FedEx, or trucking companies in general hire on additional truck drivers, loaders, etc during the holiday? We create jobs. We create demand. We pay taxes.

The only difference between a retail store and a reseller is the price they are able to purchase their merchandise at. 

• Like 3

I think the government takes too much out of my wage for taxes.

Local, State, Federal, or all three?  Who doesn't want to pay lower taxes?  At the same time, who doesn't like the services provided by our tax dollars.

This is why Amazon is so popular, because they only tax purchases made by customers in a handful of states.  It has given them an unfair advantage over B&M stores.

Are you under some delusion that no online business employs people or has operating expenses?

I can't pay wages, along with every other operating expense, if I don't buy for resale at the right price, either. Me and Walmart, same problems, different scale.

You really think I'm under the delusion that an online business doesn't employ people or have expenses?  Really?  The poster mentioned two companies which are primarily B&M stores.  While they both have an online presence, I would bet that online expenses pale in comparison to field expenses. 

How many people do you employ in your reselling business?  Would you mind posting your balance sheet?

I hate how my Target (at least mine) puts their clearance Lego pretty much on any endcap in the entire store.  I go to a Super Target, and the place is stupid big.  I found a clearance SW set by the tools and a LOTR by the greeting cards.  Makes me nuts.

In some ways, it's better than a regular Target in the city. Here, things last maybe 2 days at 50% off. I'd rather have a Super Target with lots of clearance than a tiny Target with a few sets clearanced whose location is known to all...

You don't lose debates well, do you?  :shocked: You're getting to troll status now, and you're not fooling anyone by switching around your argument every other post to pretend you didn't mean what you said or that you have any actual points to make other than being argumentative because you don't like the purchasing tactics of some resellers.

There is no difference in the basics of running an online business versus a brick and mortar business versus a hybrid business that combines the two. In all cases you will have income, and you will have costs. Cost of goods sold is one of those costs, and it is in fact the subject of this entire conversation as you know perfectly well.

I employ two people besides my husband and myself, and your new stupid tactic of asking extremely personal financial information isn't going to scare me off or impress anyone, either. I am relatively sure you aren't interested in posting your tax return, nor am I vulgar enough to ask to see it.

• Like 2

And I think you're forgetting. Resellers are job creators too. Every time Amazon takes a fee from a sale, that's more employees they need to hire to fulfill orders. How many more jobs do you think Amazon created since they started FBA? Thousands of small business allow Amazon to fulfill orders, creating jobs. How many UPS, FedEx, or trucking companies in general hire on additional truck drivers, loaders, etc during the holiday? We create jobs. We create demand. We pay taxes.

If you are a business, you have to pay taxes, regardless of who you're selling your goods through.  You'll still need to ship your goods, too, regardless of who you're selling your goods through.  This doesn't go away if you decide to run the business on your own.

If you are a business, you have to pay taxes, regardless of who you're selling your goods through.  You'll still need to ship your goods, too, regardless of who you're selling your goods through.  This doesn't go away if you decide to run the business on your own.

Jared, I know you're as glad as I am that Ericb has decided to pop in and educate us on our businesses. I don't know how we survived without him.

The only difference between a retail store and a reseller is the price they are able to purchase their merchandise at. 

Welll said!!!!!!!    And paypal...and box companies....and maintenance, parts and insurance on those vehicles that deliver our goods...and gas (which opens up a entire group of other jobs)...and the paper company that I print labels on (and they also make tissues that the guy who started this thread uses.)...the guys who slaughter the trees so that I can make a buck with those labels...can't forget the ink company and the people who make my printer...then we certainly can't forget about the power that my computer/camera/printer use...the people who make the turbines that create the power that we use in said items...the miners that get the natural resources required to power the power plants that we need to get power for our items needed to be resellers...Now I have mention all the hospital workers needed to service said miners/tree cutters/delivery drivers when they have accidents. (I would be forgetting some if I didn't mention the hookers, strip clubs drug dealers and bars that they use as well. :)...The people who make my computer/camera/printer. (Hopefully child labor in some third world country...just kidding.) the tape company...people to clean the offices of these people that provide all the things mentioned prior...I could go on but hopefully u get the gist... :)

.....annnnnd the extra employees that stores have to hire just to deal with Willy :)  

As a materr of fact I am pretty certain that Lego resellers are what makes the world go 'round.  I think we should get stimulus cash...

• Like 1

Wtf are you saying? Every package I ship puts money into ups, fed ex and usps pockets. That equals jobs. Every item I sell on amazon puts money in their pockets in terms of fees and commissions. That equals jobs. Every dollar I earn, I pay taxes on. If I dont resell, those packages dont get shipped, amazon doesnt fulfill my orders, profits arent made and I dont pay taxes on them.

If every reseller stopped right now, I bet retailers they shop for would lose money, because like it or not, the distribution of goods throughout the country sucks. Things sell better in some areas than others. If every reseller stopped, package volume would decrease drastically.

Theres a market for resellers because consumers demand it. If there was no demand for the market, then I certainly wouldnt be risking my money would I?

You don't lose debates well, do you?  :shocked: You're getting to troll status now, and you're not fooling anyone by switching around your argument every other post to pretend you didn't mean what you said or that you have any actual points to make other than being argumentative because you don't like the purchasing tactics of some resellers.

There is no difference in the basics of running an online business versus a brick and mortar business versus a hybrid business that combines the two. In all cases you will have income, and you will have costs. Cost of goods sold is one of those costs, and it is in fact the subject of this entire conversation as you know perfectly well.

I employ two people besides my husband and myself, and your new stupid tactic of asking extremely personal financial information isn't going to scare me off or impress anyone, either. I am relatively sure you aren't interested in posting your tax return, nor am I vulgar enough to ask to see it.

OK, you got me.  I am very surprised to hear that an online business employs people and has business expenses.  I mean, it's just a bunch of robots sending and receiving data over communication wires that are already in place, right?  And those extremely sophisticated web sites aren't free?  Well I'll be damned...

And asking you to post your balance sheet was a rhetorical question.  I don't really want to see it.

Local, State, Federal, or all three?  Who doesn't want to pay lower taxes?  At the same time, who doesn't like (some of) the services provided by (some people's) tax dollars.

This is why Amazon is so popular, because they only tax purchases made by customers in a handful of states.  It has given them an unfair advantage over B&M stores.

Bold statements are intellectual property of FCBarcelona101, and he approves this message.

So let me get this straight. You come to a website whos entire premise is about purchasing legos with the intent to resell them at a higher amount as an knvestment. You then join the site. And then you proceed to attack the members of the site for what YOU consider reprehensible actions (purchasing too many sale items).

You sir are a Troll.

• Like 1

Wtf are you saying? Every package I ship puts money into ups, fed ex and usps pockets. That equals jobs. Every item I sell on amazon puts money in their pockets in terms of fees and commissions. That equals jobs. Every dollar I earn, I pay taxes on. If I dont resell, those packages dont get shipped, amazon doesnt fulfill my orders, profits arent made and I dont pay taxes on them.

If every reseller stopped right now, I bet retailers they shop for would lose money, because like it or not, the distribution of goods throughout the country sucks. Things sell better in some areas than others. If every reseller stopped, package volume would decrease drastically.

Theres a market for resellers because consumers demand it. If there was no demand for the market, then I certainly wouldnt be risking my money would I?

OK, I know I posted somewhere in this thread that I was fine with resellers, but also said to show some restraint.  You don't need everything. 

You know why your consumers demand it?  Because you bought all the stock off of the shelves, that's why (although I'm not sure you're buying anything good, seeing as you have 251 sets totalling only 46,451 pieces).

I will say - I don't feel great about clearing the shelf and normally don't do it. But I don't think there is some terrible thing wrong with it. I think there are enough arguments in the other direction.

The only thing I am really more against are preorder - exclusive type things. If there is a limit of 1 and you purposefully find a way around it and get more of this limited edition item first time it is out.

But in reality, I am not looking down on anyone for it. More just don't do it myself. Unfortunately, with an Ebay business now, I know you have to not care about these things unless you want to be out of business. Lol

• Like 1