Australian General LEGO Update

BrickPick3r

On 11/16/2018 at 11:35 AM, Amac said:

Wow - great news - now to wait and see, how many winners and losers I've got.

2 hours ago, Furious_george said:

At what price point do we get gst added?

todays SMH

"The global e-commerce giant instituted the ban after the government brought in a so-called "Amazon tax" which applied the 10 per cent GST to all online purchases being shipped to Australia from overseas to be collected by the retailer.  Previously, the GST only applied to items worth over $1000."

"However, the new rules will apply only to products that Amazon stocks and sells itself."

Edited by Amac
update

10 hours ago, Ted said:

That is so unfair...a GST blanket on all items from Amazon?

Ted

Well, technically on eBay it's not a blanket. With Australian sellers, they pay the GST and it's included in the price, while if you buy from eBay abroad, eBay charges you, the buyer for the 10% GST on top of your purchase, not the foreign seller. 

It seems that Amazon realised that they were losing out to eBay so they followed suit. Their pathetic FU to the Aus gov't backfired. Not to say I Iike our gov't either but that's how it is.

• Like 2

Well, technically on eBay it's not a blanket. With Australian sellers, they pay the GST and it's included in the price, while if you buy from eBay abroad, eBay charges you, the buyer for the 10% GST on top of your purchase, not the foreign seller. 
It seems that Amazon realised that they were losing out to eBay so they followed suit. Their pathetic FU to the Aus gov't backfired. Not to say I Iike our gov't either but that's how it is.
"Included in the price" seems to be the key sentence....but anyway nothing much we can do....I wish it is the old formula of just charging tax or GST or whatever you call it on overseas purchases over $1000. However I am no professional economist so it might not work in this day and age...

Ted