Does this bother anyone esle?

I hate when retail stores do this? Is there really an issue with people walking out with these big sets w/o paying for them. By now I am sure everyone knows that I want/need my boxes in pristine condition, and when they do this, it totally messes up the box. I have asked for discounts before (very very politely) because of the damage done by these security tags and more than one retailer has said no way!! Anyone else bothered by this?? I have even seen these on the SSD and DS at Lego stores.

I hate when retail stores do this? Is there really an issue with people walking out with these big sets w/o paying for them. By now I am sure everyone knows that I want/need my boxes in pristine condition, and when they do this, it totally messes up the box. I have asked for discounts before (very very politely) because of the damage done by these security tags and more than one retailer has said no way!! Anyone else bothered by this?? I have even seen these on the SSD and DS at Lego stores.

Man I've seen this before sooooo annoying. I was at my local Target the other day and they had Jabbas Palace on sale for $96, I would have bought it but it had one of those stupid anit-theft things on it that had ruined the box, so frustrating!

Man I've seen this before sooooo annoying. I was at my local Target the other day and they had Jabbas Palace on sale for $96, I would have bought it but it had one of those stupid anit-theft things on it that had ruined the box, so frustrating!

I understand your frustration but there's a simple way around this. Buy when the prices are low. Then hang onto your receipts. When you see better boxes, buy them and return the junked boxes with your receipts. It's the same product so who cares. Call it "getting back at the stores". Call it "bucking the system". Call it whatever you want to call it. I call it smart. Target and Walmart give you like 3 months to return anyway. No harm done!

One thing I did with the recent Target 20% off SW sets...I just grabbed a rain check at Target in order to lock in the 20%. When they get them in...BINGO!

The term retailers use for lost/stolen/misplaced inventory is called "shrinkage".

The shrinkage rate at stores like Wal-Mart, Target, TRU and others is very high.

For example Most Wal-Mart stores lose on average 1 large screen TV a week. They just walk out the door. Size doesn't matter. These thieves are quite bold. They'll load up their carts with anything and everything and walk right out the door without paying for it. If they get caught they just abandon the cart and run. High dollar inventory that can't be effectively locked up gets those devices you so despise. The other alternative is to keep them locked up behind a counter or case. Unfortunately stores don't have enough manpower or resources to do this with each and every high dollar product.

Plus retailers figure they are selling these products to people that will actually play with them so they don't really worry about the condition of the box.

The term retailers use for lost/stolen/misplaced inventory is called "shrinkage".

The shrinkage rate at stores like Wal-Mart, Target, TRU and others is very high.

For example Most Wal-Mart stores lose on average 1 large screen TV a week. They just walk out the door. Size doesn't matter. These thieves are quite bold. They'll load up their carts with anything and everything and walk right out the door without paying for it. If they get caught they just abandon the cart and run. High dollar inventory that can't be effectively locked up gets those devices you so despise. The other alternative is to keep them locked up behind a counter or case. Unfortunately stores don't have enough manpower or resources to do this with each and every high dollar product.

Plus retailers figure they are selling these products to people that will actually play with them so they don't really worry about the condition of the box.

The funny thing is that there will be 5 of the same sets on the shelf but only 1 or 2 will have the security tag on them. I really dont loose sleep over it lol just a minor peeve of mine.

I have also been known to do what mmatthie suggested. At first I felt like it was immoral somehow, but I got over it. If I return a box that is not in perfect shape, I know someone else will ultimately buy it anyway, and the retailer is not out anything. It is a great way to get mint in box sets!

I have also been known to do what mmatthie suggested. At first I felt like it was immoral somehow, but I got over it. If I return a box that is not in perfect shape, I know someone else will ultimately buy it anyway, and the retailer is not out anything. It is a great way to get mint in box sets!

The way I see it...you buy (for example) 2 sets in soso shape. Your goal is to own 2 of that set. If you buy 2 more (within the receipt return limits) and then return the first 2...you still have accomplished your ultimate goal (buying 2 sets)...AND...the retailer benefits by a sale. Win-win for all!

Another pet peeve of mine, but I get around it is when (again for example) you buy 2 sets from Target. Then after 14 days it's on a 20% sale. Because it's past 14 days, you can't simply get a price adjustment. However, just buy two more of the same set at the discount, and return the original 2.

I do this stuff all the time. There's nothing wrong with it in my book.

Retailers paint themselves in corners with the way they run their inventory identification. Perfect example...I used to collect Disney Pixar Cars movie diecasts years ago. Target sold every single/mainline car under ONE SKU/UPC. So technically you could return a Mater car with the receipt from a Lightning McQueen. Same thing with Star Wars 3 3/4" figs back in the same...ONE SKU/UPC.

Retailers have gotten smarter about this now, but again, if it were my company, wouldn't you want to identify product better to prevent things like that? Lego doesn't have this problem...because they're smart :)

My .02

We also do this at the store I work at not just because of people walking out with them but people lately have also been ripping the boxes open and finding the bag with the minifigure parts in it and just stealing that. As it was mentioned people are getting bold, it's kinda scary to tell the truth.