4195 - Queen Anne's Revenge

Hansolo55

I have the chance to buy 4195 QUEEN ANNE'S REVENGE for $180 Canadian each (I'm in Canada) which includes taxes and freight. This is from Play value Toys Superstore, a Canadian retailer. I know there was a thread on this a while ago, but I'm looking at this thinking its a wise investment as the value on these are skyrocketing right now. According to Bricklink $180 is roughly it's current market value new, so seems like I'm looking at nothing but profit if the trend continues on this set. Am I crazy not to do this? Please help. Thanks!

• 9 months later...

I've just started to get into Lego again.

Now I'm looking at 4195 Queen Anne's Revenge from POTC.

Someone is selling it, but it's built and without the box. Would it be worth buying, if so how much is it worth? (without the box and I can't be completely sure all pieces are there)

I've just started to get into Lego again.

Now I'm looking at 4195 Queen Anne's Revenge from POTC.

Someone is selling it, but it's built and without the box. Would it be worth buying, if so how much is it worth? (without the box and I can't be completely sure all pieces are there)

Welcome to Brickpicker! If you would like to know the value of a set, you can type in the set number in the box in the top left corner of the screen where it says search Lego price guide. Here is a link for the QAR.

Welcome to the site, Rags!

I think you should ask yourself the question: do I want this set as an investment or to build it/display it.

If you're looking to invest, probably one that is still saled in box is the better option. They tend  to rise in value longer and further than used. They currently go for about

Thank you!

I already knew that. But I believe the used value is with box, or am I wrong?

I was just wondering if the set is worth less without the box, and if it's worth much less?

Sometimes the set is worth less without the box and sometimes it is not. It all depends on the set. A set like the QAR, would probably be worth 5-10% less than what the current Brickpicker value is.

For very rare sets (Taj Mahal, Market Street), a listing with the box can bring in a little more, but for the vast majority of sets (including in QAR in my opinion), you aren't leaving any money on the table without a box. If it's missing instructions or minifigs, that would significantly decrease the price you can get for the set used.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

what do people think about future growth of this and black pearl? it really seems to have plateaued. I was hoping for 300.00 by now.

I bought both awhile back (for about $85 each) before I became an investor.  I built the Queen Anne with my 3-year old (at the time) and had forgotten about the Black Pearl.  Needless to say, I was looking up Lego on the Internet when I found out how much both had appreciated, even used.  That got me thinking and on my path to investing... BTW, the Queen Anne is an amazing build!  And I sold the Black Pearl for about $225 a couple of weeks ago... No room for another ship...  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I sold 2 sets of BP and QAR a year ago and got great return on them. I still have 3 sets of each left. Just waiting for the opportune time to sell. Even if they do another movie, i doubt they will release the Pearl over again. They don't do re-releases unless there is a way to upgrade it and i don't see how they could add any more to the current one. QAR was in the one movie and done. You won't see it again. I wish they had done the Flying Dutchman as well. 

The issue with me is I only have 2 BP that in payed 70.00 for and a qa that I payed 115.00 for. On the high side someone recently got 550 for the pair on ebay. I'd be happy with that. I just had an hour long talk with Emazers and this was discussed. Is it unrealistic to think when the new movie huts thst lego won't see the popularity in these and simply remake in ucs form...

Even if they were to do a UCS version, i doubt it would affect sales of the existing one. A UCS version would probably cost more than what you'd pay secondary for the current one. Plus you probably wouldn't get any figures with it. While i would go and buy one myself, i wouldn't get rid of my current one. The two sets i sold last year i got $450 per set. I have no doubts that they will go for $550-600 easy come Christmas time. If you;re ready to sell and would be happy getting what it's going for now, then i would say go for it. I will probably sell off two sets at Christmas and hold one set a little longer to see what happens. If you sold just a BP for current price, which seems to be around $225-250, you'd come away with at minimum double your investment. Now bad in my opinion. I think if you held on until Christmas you'd do a bit better though. I have found that they seem to sell better as a set though too.