Project Picks - Ideas sets to be supported

TheOrcKing

Have you come across an interesting project on CUUSOO that you would like to become reality?

Well, that is what this thread is for. A place to put links and bring attention towards specific CUUSOO projects. I figure the more people know about a project, the more likely it will be 'supported' and have a chance of becoming reality.

In the end, an idea can get rejected, but isn't anything worth doing atleast worth a try?

Since, every now & then, I have given some of the projects on this list a more thorough review, I will edit this main post until each one receives it's own 'review' post. At which point, the list on this main post will then be clear. Nothing else will change, just trying to clean up a little that's all.

The Order of Palladio

The dragon alone is simply beautiful.

Japanese old style architecture

I wish the NINJAGO sets had designs like these....

LEGO Architecture - Leaning Tower of Pisa

I know some of us really like the "Architecture" series, and this one is very nice.

Hinckley Brewery

This will never happen, but I still think it's amusing at the least.

Flooded Temple Ruins

A nicely detailed MOC to say the least. Not sure much demand for it though.

Space Mining Monorail

Nice design. We really need a new space-themed monorail set, man!

Goblin Fortress Ruins

Someone REALLY likes their orcs!.....And so do I! Impressive as a MOC and a playset. (Then again, so is this member's other projects!)

League of Legends of Lego

I don't know about actual sets, but boy will we get a TON of great characters!

MegaMan Project

If you don't know who Mega Man is, what rock have you been stuck under?!

Microfig Mechas

They're small, but have great detail. Plus they're just plain cool looking.

Modular Abandoned Mansion

Similiar to the Haunted House in idea, but very different.

Douglas DC-3

Very impressive....and very shiny! (It's chrometastic!)

The Cruiser

A nice little build. Good lines, very fluid.

Sword Fish II "Cowboy Bebop" / ("MONO"system)

Yep. It's the spaceship from the anime series, "Cowboy Bebop"!

Star Wars - Star Tours Starspeeder 3000

Pretty good in design & looks.

Warhammer 40,000 maxi-figures

Here's another that'll never happen, but still cool as heck.

Federation Galactic Enforcer

A cool and smooth design of a spaceship.

Legolympus

While the other is more realistically themed, this one is based on ALL the Greek myths!

Are there any projects you would like to share?

Place a link here so that we ALL can support and help bring it one step closer to being an actual set!

These are the ones that stood out to me. The Modular Cinema, Marble Maze, Mini Shops, Douglas DC-3 and Flooded Temple Ruins were amazing.

Modular Town Plan Cinema

While we're all waiting to see if the "Modular - Palace Cinema" 2013 set is real or not, take a look at this!

Mini Shop Series

Taking 'real world' businesses and converting them into LEGO mini-marts! Even though they're small, there's some really nice detail here. (I like the Dunkin' Donuts mini shop!)

Japanese old style architecture

I wish the NINJAGO sets had designs like these....

Labyrinth Marble Maze

This is simply brilliant in its mechanical design. There's even a video showcasing how easy it is to operate or change the playfield. Of course after seeing its 'innards' you could just make one yourself.

Flooded Temple Ruins

A nicely detailed MOC to say the least. Not sure much demand for it though.

Goblin Fortress Ruins

Someone REALLY likes their orcs!.....And so do I! Impressive as a MOC and a playset. (Then again, so is this member's other projects!)

Modular Abandoned Mansion

Similiar to the Haunted House in idea, but very different.

Douglas DC-3

Very impressive....and very shiny! (It's chrometastic!)

The Manticore

A very impressive starship battlecruiser! Would so totally make an awesome set!

Warhammer 40,000 maxi-figures

Here's another that'll never happen, but still cool as heck.

Legolympus

While the other is more realistically themed, this one is based on ALL the Greek myths!

These are the ones that stood out to me. The Modular Cinema, Marble Maze, Mini Shops, Douglas DC-3 and Flooded Temple Ruins were amazing.

Great thread, by the way...

Thank you.

Those one are some 'top' favorites of mine as well. There are many modular style projects that I've seen and all of them are real works of art. I sincerely doubt any those not getting passed in review.

While I like the opportunity Cuusoo offers, I have beef with a few things.

1. People like to submit unrealistically huge MOCs that will never get made into a set.

Lego's not going to risk making a Cuusoo set that has 5000 pieces, no way Jose.

2. People like to gank intellectual property and submit it as an idea.

Legofying somebody else's design might be okay for a MOC, but as a commercial creation?

Not to mention Lego has to spend time and money negotiating for the rights.

I really dig the The Glory of Rome: Imperium sets though.

I'm into historical themes and If they do release it, I'd be inclined to buy the whole series.

Also, the Japanese Architecture as I'm a sengoku buff :)

1. People like to submit unrealistically huge MOCs that will never get made into a set.

I totally agree with you on this. But regardless. I really want that super Sandcrawler that was submitted a while back. I would pay big bucks to have that thing :)

While I like the opportunity Cuusoo offers, I have beef with a few things.

Yes, there are some BIG project designs and there. That was probably the real reason they rejected the "Serenity" ship. It was FREAKIN' HUGE!! (but still awe inspiring.)

And for that reason alone is why they'll end up rejecting that "UCS - Sandcrawler". It's not like they have to make the set exactly like that! They could just take the 'idea' of it and make a smaller one that'll fit into most people's budgets.

I mean, LEGO does have a say in what the final product will actually be.

I think the 'Modular' projects are at a good middle ground of having great detail, but not be ludicrously (love that word!) expensive (like the official 'Modular' houses). I feel those have the best chance of getting supported and accepted. (Unless LEGO was planning on doing something similiar themselves.)

2. People like to gank intellectual property and submit it as an idea.

Legofying somebody else's design might be okay for a MOC, but as a commercial creation?

Not to mention Lego has to spend time and money negotiating for the rights.

Like the "Back to the Future" project that will get reviewed before the end of this year, I wonder how much of a pain in the butt it'll be to get that license. Even then, how would they end up doing those anyway? It was a 'theme' project, afterall. I really wonder how LEGO is going to deal with all those 'theme' projects anyway. (Love to hear their excuse for rejecting those.)

The only reason they ended up doing "Minecraft" was because it took only three days to reach the 10,000 support mark! Plus the game is insanely popular (which is why I'm pretty sure they will accept the "Portal 2" project). I just think it's funny that the game itself costs less than the set based on it!

Minecraft - the game - around $7

Minecraft - LEGO set - $35 (assuming you can even get it from the LEGO site)

I tell you, some of their 'reasons' for projects they've rejected don't make any sense. Couple sounded like BS to me, and why did they wait for it to get fully supported when they knew there was no chance of it ever happening in the first place? Nice way of building us up, before you kick us in the nads.

I really dig the The Glory of Rome: Imperium sets though.

I'm into historical themes and If they do release it, I'd be inclined to buy the whole series.

Also, the Japanese Architecture as I'm a sengoku buff :)

They just need to do a Greek/Roman theme! We really need a breather from all the medieval stuff! I would so totally buy EVERY set! (And then some!)

I love the Japanese Architecture myself, and wouldn't mind if they did a whole series of these beautiful buildings.

Time to stock up on reddish brown parts?

....Yeeeaah, good luck with that. Haha.

I think the maze was very cool, I don't see that one being made, but I can see LEGO coming up with their own and doing something like that.

Totally.

And for that reason alone is why they'll end up rejecting that "UCS - Sandcrawler". It's not like they have to make the set exactly like that! They could just take the 'idea' of it and make a smaller one that'll fit into most people's budgets.

I mean, LEGO does have a say in what the final product will actually be.

Thing is they already have a sandcrawler, and chances are they were already planning for a renewed version a la Jabba's Palace. If I was Lego, I personally wouldn't let a common mountebank earn any royalties off my expensive licenced product.

The only reason they ended up doing "Minecraft" was because it took only three days to reach the 10,000 support mark! Plus the game is insanely popular (which is why I'm pretty sure they will accept the "Portal 2" project). I just think it's funny that the game itself costs less than the set based on it!

Also because it was created by the Minecraft owners themselves. No royalties or negotiations needed.

Instawin? Yes!

Thing is they already have a sandcrawler, and chances are they were already planning for a renewed version a la Jabba's Palace. If I was Lego, I personally wouldn't let a common mountebank earn any royalties off my expensive licenced product.

Oh right, they already did one didn't they? Eh, yep here it is!

Sandcrawler

Geez, and that one cost $140! Sheesh!

You're probably right on them doing a redesign anyway. And, yeah, they'll more than likely reject his project, then somehow 'coincidently' release theirs. Ah, whatever.

Also because it was created by the Minecraft owners themselves. No royalties or negotiations needed.

Instawin? Yes!

Wait, the makers of Minecraft did the project themselves?

Huh....well, that changes everything then. Nevermind.

Oh, & TOTAL INSTAWIN!!!

One last thought, I wonder how the heck they plan to actually handle those royalty fees if and when a project gets accepted?

Project: Ancient World Civilizations

Designer: matija

Started: June 5, 2012

Synopsis:

An idea similiar to the "Architecture" series, but more heavily focused on landmarks and structures of ancient cultures. Each built on a 32x32 base and will contain a informational booklet filled with pertaining historical facts.

Opinion:

An amazing amount of design squeezed into such limited quarters. A couple are actually minifig sized, though there isn't much play value here, which they're not built for anyway. These would look great just about anywhere and, thanks to their compact size, they can fit anywhere! Truly for fans of old world designs.

One last thought, I wonder how the heck they plan to actually handle those royalty fees if and when a project gets accepted?

The original plan, at least for the shinkai sub set was 1% of the total sales. Since they only produced 10000 sets, it's quantifiable. Not sure exactly if the 1% is based off rrp or nett profit.

Project: Micro-Mecha Series

Designer: Accelerando

Started: October 19, 2012

Synopsis:

A theme of collector series minibuilds with mechs based on ancient world Titans. Would feature various unique designs of diverse colors with playability in mind.

Opinion:

Since this project just started, quite literally, yesterday there are only two designs being shown with the promise of showing more as the project gets more support. However, what is there is interesting and a good indicator of what one can expect. I would say that the designs feel inspired from the "Armored Core" series as well other styles of mecha. Nice minibuilds and mech designs (based on what I've seen so far). I'd support this just to see the other designs!

The creator just added another design. This time, a mech based on Gaia.

Project: A UCS series of Ships

Designer: Konajra

Started: October 29, 2011

Synopsis:

An idea for "Ultimate Collector Series" style of ships, that will also be in minifig scale. Each ship will be based on actual ships from the 1900's to today.

Opinion:

UCS-style ships that not only look amazing, but can be played with as well! The design and detail is astounding and would make terrific displays. I honestly think this is the next way for LEGO to go with their "Ultimate Collector Series". Now we just need a UCS-style pier, harbour, or port!

Project: Starfighter "Blue Vengeance"

Designer: Konajra

Started: January 11, 2012

Synopsis:

A starfighter design with retractable landing gear, three engines, detailed cockpit, and a checker pattern across parts of the frame.

Opinion:

I just like the looks of it, especially from the direct front & back. Although the designer says it has a Star Wars look to it, I see very little of it. Actually, it looks more like a star racer than a starfighter. I think a design like this would feel right at home in a futuristic racing game. Could even make a whole theme based around this concept. Nice touches of detail, especially in the cockpit area.

Project: Medieval Market Street

Designer: AlexP

Started: June 14, 2012

Synopsis:

An advanced-level build of a medieval street venue. Lined with four, three stories high, buildings covered in detailed masonry, woodwork, roofs, stained glass and pavement.

Opinion:

This designer's work never disappoints. Ever. You can look over this a million times and still find some little detail you didn't see before, just because you were too busy being astonished by all the others. I can only imagine what the 'inside' of the buildings are like. A great MOC that would make an incredible set!

Project: Tri Changer Dino Jet Mecha

Designer: alanyap

Started: September 26, 2012

Synopsis:

A robot design that actually transforms into three different modes with numerous points of articulation for each.

Opinion:

To start with, it is simply amazing! Second, it can actually transform without having to take apart, reconnect, or rebuild anything! (Take that, KRE-O!) Unfortunately, the designer based this on a Tranformers "Headmaster" called Snapdragon. So, it's not exactly his own original design. The design in LEGO is, but the base design is not. Still all in all, a very cool, sturdy, poseable, transformable design!

Hasbro has Transformers, maybe now LEGO can have their own theme!

Project: Mini Shop Series

Designer: Pekko

Started: April 30, 2012

Synopsis:

Miniture versions of real life brands. Each is built on a standard 8x16 stud baseplate, and will come with two minifigures (a shop owner and customer). Complete with full interiors.

Opinion:

I really, REALLY, love this idea! They may be small, but each of these is just filled with detail. I can't pick one because each is so simply amazing. Brilliant use of color and design of exterior, as well as interior. The only difficulty of getting this passed will be getting permission from each brand. But since the designer has created six different possible venues, there's a good chance we may get atleast one or two. Still, a grand idea to liven up your cityscape!

Here is the video link showcasing the ins & outs of each.

Lego Mini Shop | on Lego CUUSOO

It's time LEGO starts releasing more CUUSOO sets to the public. Maybe 4-5 a year. To be honest, I enjoy the CUUSOO creations more than the regular LEGO sets.

So do I. Just that the good and practical sets don't get the support they deserve, like the Roman sets.

Of those sets who have made it for review, I think only the Rover makes the cut in terms of practicality.

The rest are either too huge or too licensed or both; my two biggest gripes.

The Roman Imperium should totally go this programme rather than waste time on Cuusoo.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2012/10/17/lego-design-team-open-call-for-theme-ideas-news/

A lot of great ideas. I love the UCS ships idea. Great displays. It's time LEGO starts releasing more CUUSOO sets to the public. Maybe 4-5 a year. To be honest, I enjoy the CUUSOO creations more than the regular LEGO sets.

I thought they were pretty good ideas, too. The UCS ships is just fantastic in my opinion. The way things are going now, we'll be lucky to get two CUUSOO sets a year. It's wierd, even with all the people around the world to help projects like these, it still takes FOREVER to get fully supported. Artistically, I enjoy the CUUSOO projects over most regular sets as well.

The Roman Imperium should totally go this programme rather than waste time on Cuusoo.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2012/10/17/lego-design-team-open-call-for-theme-ideas-news/

Hmm...I came across this last week, and still not sure about that really.

1. Why did LEGO release this info so far under the radar? If you go to their youtube channel, there's the video promoting their contest for creating a custom TECHNIC set right there on the main page. No hiding at all. So why was this one sneaking around? Even if it's meant for 'adults only', that doesn't feel right.

2. The age group is even more limited than CUUSOO! Ages 7-9?! It even specifies "strong products for boys".

Oh great, like we didn't have enough problems with the "FRIENDS being sexist" debaucle!

3. I've just read people sending an email to the address....and still have not recieved any kind of release form! Wow, this is already looking like a great start.

4. ....What exactly is the 'prize' again? You submit an idea and, whether or not they accept it, they keep all rights to it. And even if you 'win', it seems all you get is the chance to 'meet & greet' with some LEGO designers, whom maybe take input on your designs, where the final sets might have some relevance to what you envisioned in the first place, then they release the sets to make alot of money. And what do you get then?

Nothing.

No royalties, no free full collection of the sets you helped to create, just nothing. Not even a discount.

Good grief, they could create the next NINJAGO (in terms of sales) and you'll get jacks***!

Overall, this is a decent idea for people that may have some ideas, just not the LEGO collection or experience to use a program (like Ldraw or Digital Designer) to build it and promote it on CUUSOO.

For myself, I'd rather take my chances with CUUSOO. (Still curious how the "Space Marines" project will end.) Atleast then, I'll have a chance to make a little bit of income. Whereas this theme submission doesn't have such an option.

Plus if they don't accept it, depending on what the original project idea was, I could later on choose to do like some people and sell the instructions for the MOC. Sheesh, in a way you could make more money that way than the CUUSOO way!

I guess we'll never really know just how LEGO will handle CUUSOO 'theme projects' until one actually does get passed. Or what excuse they'll come up with as to 'why they can't do it' like so many before it.

Hmm....I suppose I'd be more hopeful if the track record wasn't so lousy at this point.