Project Picks - Ideas sets to be supported

TheOrcKing

2 hours ago, jbacunn said:

As with a lot of this Ideas sets, it comes down to the licensing negotiations. Lego has to be able to maintain their profit margins while still charging a reasonable price. I would think that the owners of Voltron IP would jump at the chance to have a Lego set made for Voltron but you never know.  They may be greedy bastards and ask for too much.  

I think there are reasons on both sides of the coin to say whether Voltron will get made.

The reasons it won't:

• Licensing issues - either the licensing fee will be too high or the license to do something like this is already tied up elsewhere
  • Piece issues - either the piece count is too high, or there are unique pieces that will need to be made.
  • Pricing - the overall pricing will be too high

The reasons it will get made:

• New cartoon - Voltron has a new cartoon premiering on Netflix in June
  • Nostalgia - This would be the third 80s pop culture item to get launched as an Ideas set
  • Popularity - This set is the creator's first Ideas submission, and it got to support in 3 weeks time

I honestly think this will happen.  No Ideas set has reached Review status that quickly.  Even the Rolling BB-8 took 5 weeks, and I believe that was the fastest any set has achieved review prior to this.  I'm guessing LEGO and the Voltron rights holder have taken notice.

Talk about your market research - the Voltron rights holder sees there's a clear winner here.  They know they can use this as a gateway into other merchandising.  I think they just got a huge boost of confidence in their product with this.

The only reason this might not happen, is if the rights holder goes to LEGO after this and they strike a deal to fast track a set outside of Ideas.  Because right now, we're looking at late January 2017 as the announcement date for this set to be put into production.  Which means we're easily a year away from it come to market, if not longer.  A second season of the cartoon may be out by then, but I'm thinking they're going to want to strike while the iron is hot.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

The reasons it won't:

• Licensing issues - either the licensing fee will be too high or the license to do something like this is already tied up elsewhere
  • Piece issues - either the piece count is too high, or there are unique pieces that will need to be made.
  • Pricing - the overall pricing will be too high

I think there's one more to add here, lots of countries never aired the show. I first heard of this on the ideas website a few weeks ago.

Ghost busters and Back to the future were worldwide hits, there was basically no risk releasing those sets. 

Edited by Pomodoro

17 minutes ago, Pomodoro said:

I think there's one more to add here, lots of countries never aired the show. I first heard of this on the ideas website a few weeks ago.

Ghost busters and Back to the future were worldwide hits, there was basically no risk releasing those sets. 

That's a good point.  The popularity of Voltron may be limited to North America and Japan, which does severely limit it's marketability.  On the other hand, if the producers and Netflix are making a push to distribute this worldwide, then it might not matter.

• Like 1

Dang. I didn't get to vote for Voltron. This is the first set that I am willing to drive 2 hours to the lego store and stand in line on the first day of availability.

I really hope this set makes it through TLGs approval cut.

I loved this show as a kid!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Dang. I didn't get to vote for Voltron. This is the first set that I am willing to drive 2 hours to the lego store and stand in line on the first day of availability.

I really hope this set makes it through TLGs approval cut.

I loved this show as a kid!!

If you missed out on voting for Voltron, then at least vote for Eagle 5 :) 150 votes to go ....

4 hours ago, Phil B said:
It's my bedtime - 33 votes to go ... when I wake up tomorrow morning, I will assume Eagle 5 has landed. Good night all!

11 more votes needed!! Come on people!!! You may even get a Darth Helmet minifig!!!!!!

Edited by Manse1001

22 hours ago, Flanagan Bros Inc said:

Just finished my homage to the ever beloved yellow castle! It was a bit of a trick to make it new enough to not be considered a 'modification' of an existing set, but I think it blends a lot of new elements along with the classic castle design to create something interesting!

You sir have my two votes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'd like to share my LEGO Ideas sets based on CW's the Flash, there's a number of DC based LEGO sets currently available and despite some movies sets all are based on the Comics (and mainly Batman)
I'm hoping with enough support, it might encourage LEGO to venture towards the ever growing TV shows and ideally using one of these.. ;P

Pipeline Metahuman Cells - https://ideas.lego.com/projects/144817

27738930441_0eb57f26d5.jpg

Edited by Kizmoz
  • Like 2