Project Picks - Ideas sets to be supported

TheOrcKing

Project: Classic Space LL-104

Designer: Fazoom7

Started: June 20, 2012

Synopsis:

Combining the color & style of Classic Space with the modern sleek appearance of an F-104 jet.

Includes one minifigure, detailed cockpit, and working landing gear.

Opinion:

Wicked awesome design! I love the use of colors and overall appearance.

Reminds me of the spaceship from arcade games like Defender or Galaga.

Get your retro on!

Project: Transforming Retro Video Game Accessories

Designer: vonbrunk

Started: April 11, 2012

Synopsis:

An idea for creating a series of tranforming robots based on video game console accessories from years past.

Opinion:

Honestly, I don't think this has a snowball's chance in heck (due to all that licensing). However, I do like the creative imagination behind each design. Each very closely resembles its real-life counterpart amazingly, and the robot forms are very cool. The designs behind the Game Boy & Game Gear are most impressive!

With all of these transforming robot projects, maybe LEGO will take a hint and create their own 'Tranformers' per say.

Project: Mecha V1

Designer: adam_the_ant

Started: August 6, 2012

Synopsis:

An 'anime' style mecha that stands at a little more than a foot high.

Utilizing a mix of EXOFORCE & BIONICLE joints give this design unique flexibility.

Opinion:

Very nice design overall. Reminiscent of designs from the "Armored Core" and "Zone of Enders" video game series.

Sure it could use a little redesign here and there, but the core idea is there and still good.

Project: Vampire GT Supercar

Designer: Crowkillers

Started: April 4, 2012

Synopsis:

An original car design with all the bells & whistles of other TECHNIC sets (and then some).

Features opening Gullwing doors, front hood and trunk, working custom gearbox, suspension, all wheel drive, and smooth "Hand of God" steering.

Opinion:

I am rarely disappointed by custom TECHNIC design's ever, and this is a prime example of why.

It is a completely original supercar concept, and it looks pretty badass to boot.

Add some power functions, and you have a car that will put every other RC to shame!

Check out the designer's website for this and other really cool car designs. Instructions are available for all shown.

The video showcasing this supercar and it's many features with a perfect soundtrack playing in the background.

Crowkillers LEGO TECHNIC Vampire GT 2012 - youtube

And the image gallery.

Vampire GT - Brickshelf

Project: Classic Space LL-104

Designer: Fazoom7

Started: June 20, 2012

Synopsis:

Combining the color & style of Classic Space with the modern sleek appearance of an F-104 jet.

Includes one minifigure, detailed cockpit, and working landing gear.

Opinion:

Wicked awesome design! I love the use of colors and overall appearance.

Reminds me of the spaceship from arcade games like Defender or Galaga.

Get your retro on!

Love these retro SPACE themed sets. A lot of us old timers love these sets and it would be a huge hit IMO. What's old is new as they say...

Project: Vampire GT Supercar

Designer: Crowkillers

Started: April 4, 2012

Synopsis:

An original car design with all the bells & whistles of other TECHNIC sets (and then some).

Features opening Gullwing doors, front hood and trunk, working custom gearbox, suspension, all wheel drive, and smooth "Hand of God" steering.

Opinion:

I am rarely disappointed by custom TECHNIC design's ever, and this is a prime example of why.

It is a completely original supercar concept, and it looks pretty badass to boot.

Add some power functions, and you have a car that will put every other RC to shame!

Check out the designer's website for this and other really cool car designs. Instructions are available for all shown.

The video showcasing this supercar and it's many features with a perfect soundtrack playing in the background.

Crowkillers LEGO TECHNIC Vampire GT 2012 - youtube

And the image gallery.

Vampire GT - Brickshelf

This is a spectacular model. Love the wheels. A lot in a small package.

Love these retro SPACE themed sets. A lot of us old timers love these sets and it would be a huge hit IMO. What's old is new as they say...

I think with some cleverly detailed redesigns, any classic set could be given a new breath of life.

Like what this MOC'er did here.

Classic Space Evolved gallery - Peter Morris on flickr

I am currently trying to come up with a nice update for the Motorcycle Shop (6373). Looking back on it, this set has the most sentimental value to me. I think it was the first LEGO set I built and played with as a child.

And I completely agree, that Vampire GT is friggin' sweet!

Would love to drive a car like that in real life!

• 1 month later...

Project: Modular Costume Store for Collectible Minifigures

Designer: BrentWaller

Started: February 22, 2012

Synopsis:

A modular built in the traditional "Cafe Corner" standard for showcasing your favorite Minifigures.

Opinion:

Has an nice overall soft blue hue. Architecture is smooth and features nice tilework inside & out. Even has a small air conditioner in the window on the second floor! I see no reason for the design itself to pass, but there is no way any character from the Minfigures line will be included at all. Still, a pleasing design for display or play.

Costume Corner - Brent Waller's flickr gallery

Project: Batmobile Tumbler Minifig Scale

Designer: BrentWaller

Started: February 6, 2012

Synopsis:

A detailed minifigure scale version of Batman's vehicle, the Tumbler.

Opinion:

Created by the same guy who did the previous 'featured' project, this is just so wicked awesome!

Beats the Tumbler design in "The Bat vs Bane - Tumbler Chase" set by a longshot.

LEGO should take notes from this lethal street machine.

Batmobile Tumbler (black version) - flickr gallery

Batmobile Tumbler (camouflage version) - flickr gallery

Custom Batmobile Tumbler for CUUSOO promo - Youtube

Personally I like Cuusoo (I mean they're the geniuses who brought us Lego MineCraft) but did any of you notice that when space marines was pushing towards 10,000 supporters Lego dissed it, took its ideas and concepts and gave us the stinker known as GalaxySquad. I mean what gives space marines had potential, GalaxySquad not so much.

Personally I like Cuusoo (I mean they're the geniuses who brought us Lego MineCraft) but did any of you notice that when space marines was pushing towards 10,000 supporters Lego dissed it, took its ideas and concepts and gave us the stinker known as GalaxySquad. I mean what gives space marines had potential, GalaxySquad not so much.

yeah that was super lame!!!

yeah that was super lame!!!The timing of GALAXY SQUAD was rather 'convenient' wasn't it? (I don't believe in coincidences.) I love everything SPACE but even I am not sure of how I feel about GALAXY SQUAD. I like the, umm, 'beetle' guys. Maybe a couple of the designs or the idea of them. This is one series that I will be collecting mainly for parts. (Could make some psychedelic ships with those colors.)

Like you said, Space Marines has SO much going for it! (I don't care if it is Space Troopers now, I will still call it Space Marines dang it!) I would look forward to a Space Marines theme more than another new STAR WARS set. LEGO will have to answer to A LOT of angry fans if they reject the Space Marines project. (And give a legitimate reason, not some half arsed excuse like they have with many of the rejects.)

The one Cuusoo project I think stands out by far is the realistic tree project.

Not only are they a great design with a ton of potential for creating mocs of forests or city scapes etc but trees is one area where what TLG produces is severely lacking.

I think these just look awesome. The one negative I could see is that younger kids would probably rather have robots or monsters or something more exciting. As an adult I can imagine 20 different varieties with different designs that would make a large display. I think they are very nicely done.

Cuusoo Realistic Tree Project

That "Realistic Trees" CUUSOO Project is a nice one. Similiar to what you said, lego the hutt, I wonder how exactly LEGO would go about making a set out of it though. It is something that could go well with another idea or set, but alone? Hmm....

I feel like in order to do it the right way they would have to come out with at least 2 or 3 cheaper sets each having one tree. Maybe 15$ or 20$ price point and 3 different tree varieties would be a good way to market it.

This is not anything like any cuusoo project we have seen thus far. Maybe it is asking to much but, like the realistic tree project, cuusoo has a ton of untapped potential. Maybe something with multiple smaller sets produced by cuusoo is a possibility.

On the bright side, the comments made by TLG about the project are very promising. I feel like there are multiple cuusoo projects that have more votes that are a waste of space because they won't ever actually be accepted as lego sets...for a variety of reasons. This project would be great for Lego. I'm sure there are designers who realize that the trees produced thus far by Lego are very lacking who would back this 100%.

• 1 month later...

I'm a fan of this by the guy who made the DC3:

Two seasons log cabin:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/20153

I am so in love with this! And I thought the one LEGO did was nice....

I also really like this AT-AT. At 6000 peices it is unlikely, but not completely impossible.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/14579

Being an UCS type of model, I don't think the piece count is that bad. I mean, if someone will pay $400 for that "Live Star", why not $600 for this bad boy? That AT-AT is simply amazing from every angle. I guess if LEGO is stingy about it, they could probably reduce the piece count somewhat without ruining the design.

I am supporting five at the moment. I prefer models that are replicas of famous buildings, and I tend to be a little picky when it comes to the models I choose to support. I am in the process of designing my own CUUSOO entry based upon the Administration Building built for the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. I am building it using LDD and am almost done with it. If you're on the site in the next 2-3 weeks, take a look for it (and support it!). I have posted a picture below to show what the Administration Building looked like.

I am in the process of designing my own CUUSOO entry based upon the Administration Building built for the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. I am building it using LDD and am almost done with it. If you're on the site in the next 2-3 weeks, take a look for it (and support it!).

That will certainly make an artistic model. Looking forward to it! I'll make a point of searching for yours when it's complete. Or you could just post a quick link here for everyone to support. Either way, you can already count on my support!