Project Picks - Ideas sets to be supported

TheOrcKing

I guess that depends if you believe the rumor that there's an A-Team component (level or fun pack) for Dimensions coming.

I'd be surprised... I know the 80s show was pretty tame since nobody could hug the broad side of a barn, but it's military and guns. It would be a first...

I'd be surprised... I know the 80s show was pretty tame since nobody could hug the broad side of a barn, but it's military and guns. It would be a first...

I agree. I haven't heard anything new on the rumor but there was thought that either Mr T or he entire A-Team was going to be in Dimensions based on some codes.

But now that I think about it, the code could have also referred to Adventure Time. So who knows.

• Like 1

I agree. I haven't heard anything new on the rumor but there was thought that either Mr T or he entire A-Team was going to be in Dimensions based on some codes.

But now that I think about it, the code could have also referred to Adventure Time. So who knows.

My money's on Adventure Time though I'd prefer A-Team...

27 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Star wars? Plenty of killing, guns etc Pirates? Rape and pillage. I can understand them wanting to stay neutral as far as actual military sets go but they'll never fully stay clear of violence and guns. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

So, I'm trying to figure out when the voting ends exactly.  According to a post on the Ideas Facebook, voting closes at Midnight, May 2, Central European Summer Time, which is in about 3 hours from the time of this post.

But, maybe it closes at Midnight, end of the day, on May 2.  Which is 27 hours from now.

I guess it depends on when you think Midnight for a day is.  Is it the last minute of a day, or the first minute of a day?

I hope the guys at LEGO Ideas think of it as the former. But if we were to base it when LEGO starts their promotions at LEGO Shop at Home then it will be the latter.

6 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I'm now obsessed with following the progress on these two sets, to see if they can make the May 2 deadline.  I think there's probably about 30 hours left at this point.  Not positive what time it closes (Midnight eastern?  Midnight Billund?)

As of Midnight Eastern last night (about 12 hours ago), here is where we were:

Voltron - Defender of the Universe
424 votes to go

Spaceballs - Eagle 5
556 votes to go

12 hours later, and here's where we are:

Voltron - 9693 votes (307 votes to go) - picked up 117 votes in 12 hours
Spaceballs - 9529 votes (471 votes to go) - picked up 85 votes in 12 hours

I honestly think this is going to go down to the wire.  Don't know if either of them have the steam to make it in before the cut off.  I sure hope they can get in at the last minute.

9744 (Voltron) vs 9589 (Eagle 5) at 6:30pm EST.

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 1

gotcha

Yep. Overall, Eagle 5 only has 10 days left and Voltron has something like 2 years. But the next review deadline is about 22 hours away.

Sets that go into review in May will be announced in September. If neither hit 10,000 before tomorrow but do later this week then they won't go into review until September and won't be announced until January.

Considering how close they are its be a shame to have to wait that long to hear back on them.

44 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Yep. Overall, Eagle 5 only has 10 days left and Voltron has something like 2 years. But the next review deadline is about 22 hours away.

Sets that go into review in May will be announced in September. If neither hit 10,000 before tomorrow but do later this week then they won't go into review until September and won't be announced until January.

Considering how close they are its be a shame to have to wait that long to hear back on them.

The way it's going it's either neither make it to the review, or Voltron by a very close finish. 239 to go. Eagle 5 is at 399 left. Just hoping E5 makes it to 10,000 in time.

3 minutes ago, longshot said:

Just saw the Voltron set this morning...............WOW. If this doesnt make it to an actual set Lego really does have its head up its Arse, just sayin.  :dontknow:

As with a lot of this Ideas sets, it comes down to the licensing negotiations. Lego has to be able to maintain their profit margins while still charging a reasonable price. I would think that the owners of Voltron IP would jump at the chance to have a Lego set made for Voltron but you never know.  They may be greedy bastards and ask for too much.  

5 minutes ago, longshot said:

Just saw the Voltron set this morning...............WOW. If this doesnt make it to an actual set Lego really does have its head up its Arse, just sayin.  :dontknow:

That's a bit strong - there are many factors that come into play when LEGO decides on Ideas sets - some of it they've shared with us, some are their own internal secrets. LEGO is hot these days, production supply is a limited commodity. Each set that makes it to a review has 10k supporters, so the number of supporters cannot be used as a determining factor - they have to go by license, census data coming from the survey when you vote, their own release plans, their own perceived appeal of the set etc. Many reasons for a cool design not to make it to a production release.

3 minutes ago, Phil B said:

That's a bit strong - there are many factors that come into play when LEGO decides on Ideas sets - some of it they've shared with us, some are their own internal secrets. LEGO is hot these days, production supply is a limited commodity. Each set that makes it to a review has 10k supporters, so the number of supporters cannot be used as a determining factor - they have to go by license, census data coming from the survey when you vote, their own release plans, their own perceived appeal of the set etc. Many reasons for a cool design not to make it to a production release.

Perhaps but this set has blown up the 10,000 supporters in a what must be a record time. It just amazes me that they made the Maze but so many other far better sets get passed by.

10 minutes ago, longshot said:

Perhaps but this set has blown up the 10,000 supporters in a what must be a record time. It just amazes me that they made the Maze but so many other far better sets get passed by.

I think The Maze was perhaps the most brilliant set to ever make it past the IDEAS screening. That and perhaps Minecraft. But to everyone his/her opinion.

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I think The Maze was perhaps the most brilliant set to ever make it past the IDEAS screening. That and perhaps Minecraft. But to everyone his/her opinion.

Don't forget that with the Maze Lego doesn't have to share profits with anyone except the small percentage the designer gets, i.e. no IP to negotiate. Never forget that this is a massive company with their main goal being generating profits. 

• Like 1