• Spider
    • Scorpion
    • Vulture
    • Sabre-Tooth
    • Tiger
    • Mammoth
    • Phoenix
    • Panther

The reason they get to that price is because nobody will pay more for them. I'm stuck with a few Chima dogs in my closet from poor choices. Unless you want to build them, stay away.

Do you mean that amazon high prices is due to no demand? I always thought the prices goes down when nobody wants a product!!! Is there something I am missing in the amazon prices?

I'm not in the UK, so I can't speak to any specific changes in demand, but any set has value with the right discount. For most Chima sets, the volume sold is so low and the margins (after shipping and fees) are so low it is better to allocate your capital in something that has either a) a higher potential ceiling upon retirement or b ) a greater sales volume so your capital isn't tied up for a long time for a slim profit margin. Does that make sense? If you can get the sets at 75-90% discount and undercut everyone else on the market, maybe it's worth it for you. I'm staying away unless it's a CHI Temple (the only Chima set I've made decent money with AND sold quickly).

Well, it all depends, you need some BL experience to have an idea in advance which parts are quick to move at profit. In this particular case, 70225, I wouldn't touch at -70% off coz mostly consists of very large pieces that would be a dead weight in my closet, but 70226 is another story. It's all about versatility of pieces and what you can use them for, next it's the colors. Same goes for all lines. Except perhaps Bionicles and Hero Factory, I'm still to sell more 5 of these lines' parts :P

• Like 1

Another apparent "Winner" from the Chima theme - 70132 - Scorn's Scorpion Stinger. MSRP $40, these retired in Jan 2015, and are going for about 60-65 currently. My K-Marts still have these on the shelf, so I am awaiting a good level of markdown, but these seem like a decent pickup at close to 40-50% off. None of this stuff is flying off the shelves here, so I think this is a good bet to hit at least 35% off if not more. 

So by my count, that's 2 winning sets and a whole lot of not winning sets. ;)

• Like 1

I got a few 70225 and a 70226 on clearance at Ross. I felt like the 70ish % off was fine, and I might make $10-$15 profit. I just didn't put them up immediately and momentum has left them sitting on my shelves. I know that neither of them are likely to appreciate much, but even if I sell them at 60-70% of retail I've made something. I just need to clear off the stickers and list them.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a few 70225 and a 70226 on clearance at Ross. I felt like the 70ish % off was fine, and I might make $10-$15 profit. I just didn't put them up immediately and momentum has left them sitting on my shelves. I know that neither of them are likely to appreciate much, but even if I sell them at 60-70% of retail I've made something. I just need to clear off the stickers and list them.

I have bulk listings on ebay for 100 new random pieces, and 100 used random pieces. For what I'm too lazy to sell or part out, I take the pieces and minifigs I want and throw the rest in the new bin

1 hour ago, chezzzuk said:

Now back to normal price and "available now". I thought 50% discount was a sign of set retirement?

They pulled all sale items - seems even 50% can´t tempt the good folk to part with their cash. Chima is done but the stock may well last for a while yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I was thinking of writing a sort of post-mortem of this line. I was wondering if there was anyone who got a grip of sets at a significant discount that they would be willing to share with me so that I could do some justice to the article I want to write.

What are you looking for? Just info on sets and price-paid? Or do you need sets and want to build them? Or do you want pictures of built sets?

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

What are you looking for? Just info on sets and price-paid? Or do you need sets and want to build them? Or do you want pictures of built sets?

I wanted to build some of the sets. Sort of to find out if there was anything substantially wrong with the designs etc. I might also try to get people to tell me what the buy price and sell prices had to be in order to see any money from this series.

A buy in of 0 Euros could, in some cases, generate profit after fees.

Seriously, though, you can count on one hand the popular sets from the line and they are selling for approx 2-3 RRP so, it´s more a question of avoiding the crap to turn a profit. 

Designwise, some of the sets are quite imaginative - maybe too much, but they suffered from being preceived as the ugly, fat sister to Ningago. If Ninjago had been pulled for good after the first wave, it could have been a different story.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Last one sold on EU Ebay was 19th Dec so the only thing sleepy about it are buyers.

It´s certainly not as hoarded as 70146 but I already got burnt badly by Chima with (the in theory valuable but in practice unsellable) 70010, so I´m leaving them well alone.

It´s a great investment set if you are German and it´s Xmas time but toxic for everyone else.

Edited by Val-E