Historically, how telling is the holiday catalog in terms of EOL??

I know several people have mentioned that SSD and FB may be retiring since they are not in the Holiday catalog. Other notables not in the catalog include the Unimog, Kingdoms Joust, Mini Modulars, Monster Fighters (other than HH), wave 1 LOTR, and most Superheroes sets from 2011.  Yet, there are also sets in the catalog that appear to be retiring (or retired) such as the Architecture Studio, Heartlake Stables, Adventure Camper, and a few others that I forgot. 

So, in recent times, has the Holiday catalog meant anything at all regarding EOL?  Perhaps SSD isn't retiring after all even though it's not in the catalog?  And maybe HH may still be retiring even though it is in the catalog?  I still think this has to be it for FB given that most places overseas are sold out as well as amazon. 

I know several people have mentioned that SSD and FB may be retiring since they are not in the Holiday catalog. Other notables not in the catalog include the Unimog, Kingdoms Joust, Mini Modulars, Monster Fighters (other than HH), wave 1 LOTR, and most Superheroes sets from 2011.  Yet, there are also sets in the catalog that appear to be retiring (or retired) such as the Architecture Studio, Heartlake Stables, Adventure Camper, and a few others that I forgot. 

So, in recent times, has the Holiday catalog meant anything at all regarding EOL?  Perhaps SSD isn't retiring after all even though it's not in the catalog?  And maybe HH may still be retiring even though it is in the catalog?  I still think this has to be it for FB given that most places overseas are sold out as well as amazon. 

IMO, the catalogs do not tell you anything regarding EOL information. The FB has not been in the past few catalogs and yet it is still here. But sometimes, there are a few sets that are not in the catalog that retire soon after. Those are mostly small sets.

IMO, the catalogs do not tell you anything regarding EOL information. The FB has not been in the past few catalogs and yet it is still here. But sometimes, there are a few sets that are not in the catalog that retire soon after. Those are mostly small sets.

I half agree with you. I think it doesn't tell you anything about EOL info, but I think it does give you info on production time, if that makes sense. I think that LEGO Shop at Home won't bother putting a set that they are going to retire really soon into the catalog. Why bother advertising something that will very soon be unavailable? Instead, I think that since TLG is a smart company, the sets they put in the catalog will be around maybe another 3-6 months. Of course, I wouldn't approach from ther other direction and say that anything not in the LEGO catalog is retiring, as there are tons, and tons, of sets that TLG produces that never get their fair share of advertising and exposure.

I half agree with you. I think it doesn't tell you anything about EOL info, but I think it does give you info on production time, if that makes sense. I think that LEGO Shop at Home won't bother putting a set that they are going to retire really soon into the catalog. Why bother advertising something that will very soon be unavailable? Instead, I think that since TLG is a smart company, the sets they put in the catalog will be around maybe another 3-6 months. Of course, I wouldn't approach from the other direction and say that anything not in the LEGO catalog is retiring, as there are tons, and tons, of sets that TLG produces that never get their fair share of advertising and exposure.

TLG advertises most of the larger Lego sets because they are the money makers. Would you rather have 10 SSD sold or 10 Planet Series sets sold. TLG would want to advertise the larger sets so they can make more money. There are a lot of small sets that are advertised once and are not in the catalog, but do not retire very soon.