LOTR Helm's Deep Officially Retired

I just bought 2 HD from tesco - found them through quidco and hopefully applied cash back. also got separate purchases to get 1000 extra points per purchase. Works out about 62 pounds each or thereabouts. - interestingly, initially tesco said it was sold out. Tried searching again, adding to basket and it worked second time - so maybe about to run out...

We meet again. You replied to a post of mine on hotukdeals. I ended up buying 4 fire brigades! lol - you said the bubble had burst on that one. Only time will tell I guess

Where are you based?

Hi, I'm From Aberdeen. I recently rediscovered my kids lego collection in my parents loft from 20-25 years ago - and it has completely resparked my enthusiasm. Love it! Investing in something I love seems like a great hobby, but just starting out. It is just so tempting to open the sets - although I have resisted thus far!

Cheers

Guest TabbyBoy

Hi, I'm From Aberdeen. I recently rediscovered my kids lego collection in my parents loft from 20-25 years ago - and it has completely resparked my enthusiasm. Love it! Investing in something I love seems like a great hobby, but just starting out. It is just so tempting to open the sets - although I have resisted thus far!

Cheers

I've always loved LEGO and I just got back into it when I saw a VW Camper for sale at John Lewis and I just had to have it.  That was last year and the first of well over 600 sets that I currently have.  My stepmum is Scottish and she has a loft full of toys from the last 2 years as my father (deceased) used to work for Mattel, BanDai, Tyco & then LEGO so, has amassed a lot of demo and prototype items that may be worth a pretty penny.  One day, I'll sort through it and hopefully split the proceeds between us.  If he was still alive, I'd probably have access to wholesale lists and privileged info.

Back to the subject... I feel that I may suffer another Tesco moment shortly.

tried to put 10 In my cart, it said limit of 5.  went to the cart and tried to change it back to 10, and it said limit of 8 (lol).  so I change it to 8, and it says "that's more than we have in stock".  not buying them, I was just curious.

TRU has some at good discount now. Probably a small batch from cancelled orders.

I just ordered 4 more. With the TRU BOGO 50% off I am thinking this is the lowest we are ever going to see this set again unless someone clearances them out after Christmas (if anywhere has any left that is). If you want more this is the time. You can't get better than getting a retired set for 25% off.

I just ordered 4 more. With the TRU BOGO 50% off I am thinking this is the lowest we are ever going to see this set again unless someone clearances them out after Christmas (if anywhere has any left that is). If you want more this is the time. You can't get better than getting a retired set for 25% off.

Same here.  We need to schedule a new LIA meeting...

I got 4 of these the other day from TRU.  All the TRU ones I ordered are smashed to hell.  Can someone comment on resale value of past sets with crushed box.  Is it significantly lower then with a nice box?   I was going to take the crushed sets back but if they cant replace I may be shooting myself in the foot.   What do you experts think?

Guest TabbyBoy

I got 4 of these the other day from TRU.  All the TRU ones I ordered are smashed to hell.  Can someone comment on resale value of past sets with crushed box.  Is it significantly lower then with a nice box?   I was going to take the crushed sets back but if they cant replace I may be shooting myself in the foot.   What do you experts think?

Try to ask for a discount or voucher if you can as they will be worth a little less.  Or.... a lot less if you encounter a fussy buyer!  I find that poor box condition proportionately reduces more value on larger sets than smaller ones.  More importantly, are the seals intact and nothing has fallen out?

TRU did have about 10 Mines of Moria in stock too but at $99 each I passed.

That's a bit steep to pay. I love that set, too rich for my blood though. :)

I think if you packaged up the Helms Deep and Mines of Moria together, you can get decent returns. Those are the two big sets from LOTR aside from the Tower.

I'm monitoring the price of both packaged together and sold on ebay right now. Interestingly enough, it looks like it's headed to around $200, which is still affordable.

I cleaned out the two TRU's in my area this week with the $25.00 off promotion.  I have four HD now...nowhere near the amount I wanted...but it will have to do.

-Jeff

Good stuff, in Canada, the retail on HD is $179. I got mine for $110 elsewhere. :) Kind of regretted not getting another one.......

There's no telling what HD can yield in the long run. I would compare this to the first Batman Arkham Asylum. The difference is that there will be no more LOTR whereas there will always be new Batman. We shall see.....

I cleaned out the two TRU's in my area this week with the $25.00 off promotion.  I have four HD now...nowhere near the amount I wanted...but it will have to do.

-Jeff

I have 19 at the moment. I am really debating going and picking up the remaining ones I saw last night at TRU. If they are still there that is.