How will the new Hulk Lab Smash affect Hulk Helicarrier Breakout?

icephoenix181

I think it will definitely cut into the profits of the HHB.
Yes it is a Hulk variant, but it also is more traditional with the purple pants. The HHB also included Loki, Thor and Hawkeye yet none of them were exclusive to that set and could be found in other sets and/or polybags. Thor and Hulk remain in this new release but there is also the new Taskmaster, MODOK and Falcon figs. Assuming these stay exclusive, well I think this set will SMASH the other in the long term. 

The only reason to get the first set was due to Hulk, now there is another option. 

After seeing the new sets, I actually think many of the current superhero sets will do better than I expected. I like the new hulk set for the Hulk, Taskmaster and Falcon minifigs but not much else.

I AGREE! The colors look really basic for some reason. I'm glad to see they've put The Cap on a more vintage looking bike. I've got mine on the same bike from a monster fighter set. I would have liked him have a helmet like The Flash instead of just a printed head. Also would have liked to see Thor with a helmet as well. I just watched the Lego Marvel Superheroes: Maximum Overload with my son on Netflix and all the figures were correct to the current (or recently retired sets) except Thor had a helmet. 

Edit: I also think a Bruce Banner figure would have been nice. 

New set is definitely better. Doesn't mean this one will necessarily go down in value though - it just wont continue to climb. People will want both - The Dino Defense Set didn't hamper the T-Rex Hunter set - even though the Trex is just a different color and the rest of the set has nothing going on.

I think it will settle around $100-$125 and stay there.

WIll have a negative, positive or neutral effect?

Will people prefer brown pants over purple?

I think that all of the comments so far have ignored the fact that the Helicarrier Breakout set is a tie-in with the first Avengers movie.  The first Avengers movie has taken all kinds of records for the gross it took in, and is in IMDB's top 250 movies of all time.  The movie was HUGE and I expect any lego and toy product in general will be in demand for the foreseeable future, especially when the second movie is released and brings in MORE fans who would want memorabilia from the first film to complete their Avengers movie collections.  

What is the tie-in for the new Hulk set?  Is it based on an animated TV show or is it a scene from a comic book?  Personally, I would much rather have an Avengers movie tie-in product than a generic-cartoon tie-in any day.  So, I would say that the Helicarrier Breakout along with all of the currently retiring Avengers movie Lego sets will be investment winners and will plateau in 2015 when Age of Ultron is released.

• Like 1

I think that all of the comments so far have ignored the fact that the Helicarrier Breakout set is a tie-in with the first Avengers movie.  The first Avengers movie has taken all kinds of records for the gross it took in, and is in IMDB's top 250 movies of all time.  The movie was HUGE and I expect any lego and toy product in general will be in demand for the foreseeable future, especially when the second movie is released and brings in MORE fans who would want memorabilia from the first film to complete their Avengers movie collections.  

What is the tie-in for the new Hulk set?  Is it based on an animated TV show or is it a scene from a comic book?  Personally, I would much rather have an Avengers movie tie-in product than a generic-cartoon tie-in any day.  So, I would say that the Helicarrier Breakout along with all of the currently retiring Avengers movie Lego sets will be investment winners and will plateau in 2015 when Age of Ultron is released.

This definitely helps it, just a tiny bit. The Hulk figure is and has carried the value of this set so heavily that I'd think the new Hulk figure will hurt the price more than a set that has hulk in it. But many people overlooked this set for the last year since the Avengers came out two summers ago. I think you'll see a price spike with a new Avengers movie in 2014 but not likely much. The rest of the figures are easily found in other (cheaper) sets. And if a buyer has already picked up the new Hulk set by the time the next Avengers movie comes out they will have a hulk and there will likely be new sets containing the other necessary figures to round out their crew, sans the tan pants. The only catch would be if the new avengers sets doesn't include a figure for one of the characters in the first Avengers movie sets that happens to be in the Hulk breakout set.

This definitely helps it, just a tiny bit. The Hulk figure is and has carried the value of this set so heavily that I'd think the new Hulk figure will hurt the price more than a set that has hulk in it. But many people overlooked this set for the last year since the Avengers came out two summers ago. I think you'll see a price spike with a new Avengers movie in 2014 but not likely much. The rest of the figures are easily found in other (cheaper) sets. And if a buyer has already picked up the new Hulk set by the time the next Avengers movie comes out they will have a hulk and there will likely be new sets containing the other necessary figures to round out their crew, sans the tan pants. The only catch would be if the new avengers sets doesn't include a figure for one of the characters in the first Avengers movie sets that happens to be in the Hulk breakout set.

Loki might not appear in the next Avengers and Hawkeye might get a costume overhaul. Thor will prob remain the same.

• 3 weeks later...